News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

R.O.W. markers

Started by mcdonaat, April 22, 2012, 04:59:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcdonaat

Driving around, I've noticed an enormous amount of right of way markers in my own state, about six feet tall (only about two or three sticking out of the ground), with LDH stamped into it, or LHC for really old markers. Anyone know of their own state's marker policy, or able to snap a few photos? I'll post a few when I get my computer running again, dunno how to upload photos on an iPad.

For reference, Mississippi posts markers about a foot tall or less with "R/W" stamped in... Alas, mowing doesn't happen as much as La.

formulanone

There's a lot of these along US 98 in Highlands County, Florida:

I've spotted a few around the state; your best bet is to find them along 2-lane roads with few changes to them nor much development over the years. "SRD" (State Road Department) was in the pre-FDOT (1969) days, presumably. Most stick out roughly 12"-18" from the ground.

Georgia has a number of them, but they are a bit taller, and don't seem to be as rare (heck, you can find dozens of them lining Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport), so they appear to still use concrete markers frequently.

Alex

They are commonly referred to as "C" Blocks in California. Not many of them around, but if you look hard enough you will find them.

agentsteel53

I've never noticed an LHC in Louisiana.

I think I've spotted ROW markers in about 20-30 states.  A lot of the states use concrete posts with various markings.  Usually unpainted, but Texas has silver and South Carolina has blue, for two painted examples.

Iowa has little cast iron yellow triangles, as a contrast to the concrete.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mcdonaat

The LHC markers are hard to spot, but they're usually on old highway alignments. There was one that I saw along a road that wasn't even a state highway anymore. In fact, U.S. 71 is the route that I've seen the most on... along with U.S. 61, U.S. 51, and U.S. 11, and 80 and 90. Some state highways that used to be lower numbers, like La. 8 (old 6), La. 541 (old 13), and La. 798-1 (old 4) still have the old LHC markers. Once you notice the first one, you can't help but notice the rest!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.