News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Millennium Highway photo updates

Started by hbelkins, January 29, 2010, 10:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amroad17

That new mileage sign east of Exit 191--is it KYDOT- or WVDOT-installed? 

I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

hbelkins

Quote from: amroad17 on March 15, 2013, 11:25:53 PM
That new mileage sign east of Exit 191--is it KYDOT- or WVDOT-installed?

WVDOT. It's part of the sign replacement project on I-64 that was done last fall. They added Barboursville to the mileage signs across the river, too.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

amroad17

Kentucky should do something similar--having Ashland, Huntington, and Charleston on I-64 East from the Grayson (AA Highway) exit to the state line.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

seicer

Ew, ew, ew.

Okay, some of these signs on the WK are not that old.

Have you seen the new LED street lamps on I-64/77 by the Capitol? I'm not sure if they have installed others in the area yet, but they are very nice.

hbelkins

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on March 17, 2013, 12:25:25 AM
Ew, ew, ew.

That replaced the text-only sign that was destroyed by the tornado. The big "End" sign was not replaced with a panel sign, so the district put this sign up. They have some sort of new sign design hardware or software and a lot of stretched or compressed fonts can be seen across the district. I haven't had a chance to go visit the sign shop yet.

Okay, some of these signs on the WK are not that old.

Being replaced as part of the I-69 signing project. Apparently it was felt that the signage was old enough that it was proper to replace the whole sign instead of just changing out the exit number with demountable copy.

Have you seen the new LED street lamps on I-64/77 by the Capitol? I'm not sure if they have installed others in the area yet, but they are very nice.

Haven't really paid any attention, but since I'll be traveling through there next week on my way to Monticello, NY, I will be on the lookout for them.

hbelkins

Announcing the latest update to the Millennium Highway Web site.

Just posted are 3,477 (yes, you read correctly, that's three thousand, four hundred and seventy-seven) photos from 10 states.

Photos include:
* Various photos from Kentucky and adjacent states

* Photos from a trip to Monticello, NY, for a meet hosted by Adam Moss. Photos include an awful lot of error photos (US routes posted as New York state routes, and NY state routes posted as US routes) and some older signage.

* Photos from the Ashland, Ky./Tri-State road meet that I hosted

* Photos from a trip to Cincinnati and a train ride along the Norfolk Southern rail line from Cincinnati to Danville, Ky., as part of the Operation Lifesaver Whistlestop Tour that promoted railroad crossing safety. There are plenty of pics of old signs and some sign errors, mostly from the US 27/127 truck route in Cincinnati.

* Photos from a trip to Dubuque, Iowa, for a meet hosted by Scott Onson. There are some goodies from Ohio in the fourth day's collection, and some very interesting reused signs from Wisconsin in the Day 3 batch.

For several of the collections, there are also GPS tracks recorded by the EveryTrail app for iPhone and iPad. This allows anyone interested to follow along and see where each's days travels took me.

See all the photos linked at http://www.millenniumhwy.net/roadtrips.html

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on May 17, 2013, 02:13:56 PM
Announcing the latest update to the Millennium Highway Web site.

Just posted are 3,477 (yes, you read correctly, that's three thousand, four hundred and seventy-seven) photos from 10 states.

Photos include:
* Various photos from Kentucky and adjacent states

* Photos from a trip to Monticello, NY, for a meet hosted by Adam Moss. Photos include an awful lot of error photos (US routes posted as New York state routes, and NY state routes posted as US routes) and some older signage.

* Photos from the Ashland, Ky./Tri-State road meet that I hosted

* Photos from a trip to Cincinnati and a train ride along the Norfolk Southern rail line from Cincinnati to Danville, Ky., as part of the Operation Lifesaver Whistlestop Tour that promoted railroad crossing safety. There are plenty of pics of old signs and some sign errors, mostly from the US 27/127 truck route in Cincinnati.

* Photos from a trip to Dubuque, Iowa, for a meet hosted by Scott Onson. There are some goodies from Ohio in the fourth day's collection, and some very interesting reused signs from Wisconsin in the Day 3 batch.

For several of the collections, there are also GPS tracks recorded by the EveryTrail app for iPhone and iPad. This allows anyone interested to follow along and see where each's days travels took me.

See all the photos linked at http://www.millenniumhwy.net/roadtrips.html
And I thought my updates were too big! :-D

hbelkins

Quote from: Steve on May 17, 2013, 09:45:04 PM
And I thought my updates were too big! :-D

You put a lot of effort into writing narratives for your pages. I've gotten lazy and am just posting to Flickr without any descriptions.

hbelkins

Time for another big update.

Pictures from 19 states (at least), numbering more than 4,500, are now up.

My pics from the Portsmouth NH, Chattanooga and Wichita meets are up, along with some more from Kentucky.

I have EveryTrail track maps up for the meet trips.

Brian556

Liked your Chattanooga area photos. Interesting that you, like me, also took a pic of the Komatsu Trackhoes. There sure are a lot of those odd-looking US shields that "curve inward too much" around Chattanooga.

ronaldlee11

Is there going to be pics posted on the millennium hwy flickr page anytime soon

hbelkins

Quote from: ronaldlee11 on February 20, 2014, 08:49:01 AM

Last photos I've taken are up. Those are the photos from last fall from various locations in Kentucky and some adjoining areas, and pics from my trip to a wedding in Maryland in August. I haven't been anywhere since then to take any photos.

Next uploads will come when (if) I got to any of the road meets next month.

Alps

Quote from: ronaldlee11 on February 20, 2014, 08:49:01 AM
Per forum policy, you are not allowed to ask other users about when they will add content. If you wish to do so, contact that user directly. You have been warned.

hbelkins

Actually, I lied, but not intentionally. See https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=2821.msg280280#msg280280 for a link to some new (old) content.

hbelkins

It's been a long time since I did an update to the roadtrips page, but I finally accomplished one. I posted links to the albums (and where, appropriate, EveryTrail GPS tracks) for trips taken since the Kansas meet in 2013. Note that the EveryTrail site has been giving a lot of proxy errors lately.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.