News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Split highways [Uniqueness in Louisiana's highways, before 1955]

Started by mcdonaat, July 26, 2012, 12:00:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcdonaat

Looking at 1955 route maps, I've come across something that is really, really weird... state highways being split in half. Arkansas has the same thing, with "sections" of highway, but these actually never touched. State Route 49 ran from Vidalia into the Old River system, and stopped. It picked up across the Red River, without ANY connection that didn't require a 75 mile detour, and ended at State Route 30. State Route 33 was designated as the New Orleans-Hammond Highway, and was actually split into different chunks. Also came across a 0.12 mile road, State Route 7-D, that extended from the end of the Krotz Springs RR bridge into the Morganza Spillway, and stopped. It was gravel, too. Any other states experiencing this?

By the way, State Route 3 had a gap of 80 miles, as it was the Louisiana designation for what was to become US 65.

Alps

Maryland 20 once had a discontinuity across Chseapeake Bay, but the western half was removed in pieces as it got replaced by MD 151.

After US 9's Mullica River Bridge was closed and taken down, NJ 167 was designated on the old road on both sides of the river.

I think you're looking to exclude examples like VA 42, NY 42, various FL routes, Indianapolis beltway, British A1(M), etc. where there are two or more pieces of the route designated with non-state route pieces between. I'd also throw MA 183 in this pile - it's disjoint over US 7 and MA 23.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

mcdonaat

The weirdest things were that the route descriptions said the roads ran from Town A to B to C to D, but no connection existed between B and C. They were written like they were connected.

Noticed Route 30-D, E, F, and G. Bypassed segments were given a letter suffix. Crazy stuff!

NE2

Quote from: mcdonaat on July 26, 2012, 02:29:20 AM
The weirdest things were that the route descriptions said the roads ran from Town A to B to C to D, but no connection existed between B and C. They were written like they were connected.
Typical of legislative routes. Florida was full of these before 1945. California still has a bunch.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

national highway 1

HI 31 on Maui, split after a landslide. I believe one section has been transfered to the county.
HI 93 and HI 930 in NW Oahu were supposed to be connected around by Kaena Point. Inititally a 4WD unsealed route was connecting the two segments, until a section got washed away. No timeframe for reconstruction of the connection has been implemented.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Mapmikey

Quote from: mcdonaat on July 26, 2012, 02:29:20 AM

Noticed Route 30-D, E, F, and G. Bypassed segments were given a letter suffix. Crazy stuff!

Virginia does this.  From the first renumbering of the original system (1928) through the 1940s there were a bunch of Virginia state routes like this.  Today only VA 42 and VA 43 are like that.

Mapmikey

roadman65

Quote from: NE2 on July 26, 2012, 12:41:24 AM
Indiana and (formerly) Florida did this all the time.
FL 54 and FL 544 are two roads that are discontinued that still are in the system today.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

JustDrive

CA 168 and CA 190 are split routes with no intention to ever connect them (they'd both go through the heart of the Sierra Nevadas)

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on July 26, 2012, 07:42:28 AM
Quote from: NE2 on July 26, 2012, 12:41:24 AM
Indiana and (formerly) Florida did this all the time.
FL 54 and FL 544 are two roads that are discontinued that still are in the system today.
Yep, there are still a few. (Did you mean 540 rather than 544?) But there used to be a buttload, both pre- and post-1945 renumbering.

nexus73

In Oregon, state route 42 used to have two sections.

http://www.angelfire.com/or3/oroads/roads/or42/index.html

138 still does.  There's the section from Elkton to Sutherlin, then one from Roseburg to US 97.  A co-signing along I-5 connects them.  The Elkton-Sutherlin section was at one time signed as 225 or 255 (can't remember which) and it was not all paved, but once the highway did get full pavement, the 138 number was attached to it.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Takumi

VA 125 has been split into two sections thanks to its bridge removal.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Several highways in Mississippi are split up. MS 3 and MS 7 come to mind (and there are others)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

national highway 1

California examples:
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

bugo

Quote from: mcdonaat on July 26, 2012, 12:00:20 AM
Looking at 1955 route maps, I've come across something that is really, really weird... state highways being split in half. Arkansas has the same thing, with "sections" of highway, but these actually never touched.

A lot of Arkansas' discontinuous highways don't really have gaps, they are two completely separate highways with the same number.  Sure, there are some highways that have gaps (AR 9, which really needs to be completed between AR 5 and Malvern) but a high percentage of them are unrelated highways that share the same number (AR 375 in Polk County is a good example.)

national highway 1

Quote from: bugo on July 28, 2012, 09:55:58 PM
Quote from: mcdonaat on July 26, 2012, 12:00:20 AM
Looking at 1955 route maps, I've come across something that is really, really weird... state highways being split in half. Arkansas has the same thing, with "sections" of highway, but these actually never touched.

A lot of Arkansas' discontinuous highways don't really have gaps, they are two completely separate highways with the same number.  Sure, there are some highways that have gaps (AR 9, which really needs to be completed between AR 5 and Malvern) but a high percentage of them are unrelated highways that share the same number (AR 375 in Polk County is a good example.)
It's also the same case in neighboring Oklahoma, where multiple sections of the same state highway are discontinuous without any signed or physical connection between sections, OK 74 being one example. Also with the number 74 and back in Arkansas, AR 74 has 8 segments across the northern part of the state.

bugo

OK 74 was once a single highway, but the middle section was decommissioned.

Scott5114

Quote from: bugo on July 28, 2012, 10:36:36 PM

Digging into the history, you see Oklahoma's double highways are about half "middle section decommissioned" and half "the second half was designated to match some other state's route".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 29, 2012, 01:16:35 AM
Quote from: bugo on July 28, 2012, 10:36:36 PM

Digging into the history, you see Oklahoma's double highways are about half "middle section decommissioned" and half "the second half was designated to match some other state's route".

OK 15 is another good example of a highway that had a middle section decommissioned.  The middle part is now US 412.

jwolfer

FL A1A has a few sections from Nassau County all the way down to Key West...if you consider the Mayport Ferry in Jacksonville there is a continuous section of A1A from Callahan to Port Orange... But it looks like the Mayport Ferry will be closed... the DOT doesnt want to spend any money subsiding the ferry

Roadsguy

There are two PA 29s and US 422s in Pennsylvania (the western 422 enters Ohio, but the eastern is only in PA).
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

txstateends

There are only a couple of current discontinuous roads I can think of in TX -- no, 3.

* TX 87, it's weather related.  Between Port Arthur and High Island, along the coast, erosion and hurricane forces have damaged the road to where it's not recognizable or driveable any more.  There's been no move to either rebuild the missing portion, nor to rearrange any of the designations of the nearest nearby roads to make up for the gap.

* TX 190, the service roads along the Carrollton-to-Garland section of the Bush Turnpike.  There are no service roads east of the Kelly Blvd. exit and west of the Coit exit, and since TX 190 only exists on the service road portion, not the main lanes, and the city of Dallas didn't want service roads on it's section of the Turnpike (for some strange reason--NIMBYness, I guess), the road exists in 2 parts.  And now that the Turnpike extension is done around through Rowlett to I-30 without service roads, TX 190 doesn't exist between TX 78 and I-30, either.

* TX 211, west of San Antonio.  If you look up the TxDOT designation file for the road (http://www.dot.state.tx.us/tpp/hwy/sh/sh0211.htm), it entails what was *supposed* to happen about the road.  The road is actually in 2 parts currently, with the part in between a victim of NIMBYs.  There was also supposed to be another part more north of the currently-built north section, according to the same designation file, but it was likely a combo-meal of more NIMBYs and $$ that hasn't brought that part to life (although I've not seen the section up close to know what any real reasons might be).

Oh, another I guess: FM 544.  It once was a solid line from TX 121 east of Lewisville to the Dallas-Collin county line south of Wylie.  Since then, the section within the city limits of Plano has been decommissioned, even though the city has put up signs like this (http://goo.gl/maps/ybMyZ) almost-TX-style signage to still mark the route, seemingly to help drivers get from one end of the disconnection to the other.  I'm not sure what's more strange, a town that doesn't want a designated road, leaving 2 orphaned parts; or, that the state would still keep what's left, knowing the middle part doesn't exist and the remainders have almost (not quite!) completely urbanized.  Houston and Humble are perfectly fine having FM 1960, even though it's *very* urbanized, to the point of even having a quite RARE business route portion (Bus FM 1960 is an older part of the route, in the center part of Humble) along it.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

tdindy88

Indiana still has split highways, and it seems a bit more common than you'd think. For instance, there are FOUR SR 101's (granted, one stretch is only a bridge across the Ohio River,) there is also two SR 8's and at least three SR 4s. There are two SR 1s and two SR 3s as well, thanks to decommissioning. Add to the mix SR 39, SR 252, SR 48 and SR 43, and I don't think that is all of them. In addition, there are two SR 144s, connected by a "County Road 144" that follows the same route from Franklin to Mooresville, and despite what should be obvious, the two SR 144s were never joined. Oh, and just about all of these routes were never connected in the first place, at least as one continous route.

JCinSummerfield

You could make the argument that OH-120/IN120 is split.  The road starts out coming west out of Toledo as OH-120. As it travels west, it drifts north into Michigan.  Years ago, it was M-120, and it went west into Indiana where it became IN-120.  Michigan decommissioned their portion years ago, but the highway remains signed the same in Ohio and Indiana. Quite a unique situation, if you ask me!

MDRoads

Maryland did this all the time, with floating segments of state highway connected by county-maintained segments of varying quality.  Most of these were mopped up by 1990, with the entire road either unified into a one-piece state route, or downloaded to the county in exchange. 

Off the top of my head, MD 97, 138, 439, 495 & 623 were all once multiple segments later joined.  MD 37 and 567 stuck around until 1999 as fully signed floaters.

Still, it's amazing how often there is an 'end of state maintenance at an indeterminate point' because that's where the segment ended in the 1930s.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.