News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-10/TX-99 Interchange Progress in Katy, TX

Started by Marc, December 28, 2010, 07:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Hey all,

Just thought I'd share an update of construction on the I-10/TX-99 interchange in Katy, TX. My uncle from Jackson, MS hasn't been to visit in nearly a year and he was interested to see what the project was looking like. So, I went up there with him and took a video.

Enjoy!

rte66man

That SUV you were following: was it just me or were his reversing lights on instead of his brakelights?
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

OCGuy81

Cool video.  I've been intrigued about this project ever since reading about the ultimate plans for the Grand Parkway.  2 loops around Houston seemed crazy at first, and now there will be 3? Wonder when a 4th loop will start the planning phases!

Chris

These loops are increasingly far from downtown. The Sam Houston Beltway is already up to two times further from downtown than the 610 and the Grand Parkway will be twice as far from downtown as the Sam Houston Beltway. Anyway, it will rival the Japanese Ken-O Expressway around Tokyo in length for being the longest freeway-grade beltway in the world. I assume full-scale construction has now started on Segment E: I-10 to US 290 near Cypress.

Marc

The interchange project is almost finished now on these two flyovers (99N to 10E and 10W to 99S). Sign gantries are currently being installed. Will try to film if I'm in the area anytime soon.

They are also currently in the project of installing "tolled overpasses" on the existing Segment D in between Katy and Sugar Land. The interchange with the most progress right now appears to be the intersection with W. Airport Rd. where bridge pillars have been erected and land has been elevated.

OCGuy81

Is the plan for the interchange with the 10 supposed to be a full stack?  I'm always impressed by the collection of stack interchanges that the Houston area has.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: OCGuy81 on October 20, 2011, 10:32:04 AM
Is the plan for the interchange with the 10 supposed to be a full stack?  I'm always impressed by the collection of stack interchanges that the Houston area has.

Sorry for the very late reply. ^^;;

I think it's planned to be a full stack interchange.

And the direct ramps are now open. :cool:

OCGuy81

Wow! That is impressive.  I was looking at Google maps to see this, but it doesn't appear it's updated yet.  It looks like it's the I-10W-->TX 99S and TX 99N --> I-10E that are opened.  Google makes it look like you can also directly connect from 99N to 10W....is that right, or is that still pending?

dariusb

Does anyone know when the entire SH 99/Grand Parkway project will be completed?
It's a new day for a new beginning.

InterstateNG

I demand an apology.

dariusb

Grzrd

dariusb

Grzrd

^ No problem.

No decision has been made yet on the design-build project for three segments of Texas 99:

No decision has been made yet on the design-build project for three segments of Texas 99, said James Koch, director of transportation planning and development for the Houston District of the Texas Department of Transportation ....
The segments in question are: F1,which runs from U.S. 290 to Texas 249; F2, from Texas 249 to Interstate 45; and G, from I-45 N. to U.S. 59 N.
Koch said Texas 99 is under construction between Interstate 10 and U.S. 290.
"I have no doubt in my mind that segments F and G are going to get built on time," he said, citing the summer of 2015 as the target date for traffic to flow on all three segments ....
Precinct 4 Commissioner James Patterson said he'd heard TxDOT might require the design-build process for Texas 99 be decided by three teams, but Koch said it had been decided the previous evening that one team will make those decisions ....

OCGuy81

Are they looking to toll the newly built portions? I didn't see tolls mentioned in the article.

lamsalfl

Good God, where does TX get all this money for these massive interchanges... and dozens of them at that?  I hate the stacks that have the mile long ramps.  I'm not sure I want to have to depend on a highway that needs 24 lanes like the Katy Fwy including frontage roads to move so many people on a daily basis. 

Perfxion

As a Houston resident, I wonder that as well. Don't forget, with this going on in Houston, there is the US290 interchange with I-610 and I-10. There is also the US290 expansion project. The Crosby freeway, and 2 dozen road expansions, and building a highway on SH249 from Spring-Cypress to College Station.
5/10/20/30/15/35/37/40/44/45/70/76/78/80/85/87/95/
(CA)405,(NJ)195/295(NY)295/495/278/678(CT)395(MD/VA)195/495/695/895

Marc

Here's a video I uploaded to my account five months or so ago when the ramps initially opened.

TxDOT is now in the stages of completing the remaining connectors as well as the bridge carrying SH-99 over I-10.

OCGuy81

Really great video, Marc.  Thanks for posting that. 

Those are some really long ramps, but they seem to have a nice flow to them.  Will the ramp from 99 NB to I-10EB eventually split and have an option to move onto I-10WB?

texaskdog

Quote from: lamsalfl on March 11, 2012, 01:08:29 AM
Good God, where does TX get all this money for these massive interchanges... and dozens of them at that?  I hate the stacks that have the mile long ramps.  I'm not sure I want to have to depend on a highway that needs 24 lanes like the Katy Fwy including frontage roads to move so many people on a daily basis. 

Well, we don't spend money in the winter to salt our roads (or buy the equipment to do so) or to fix all the pavement cracks from all the snow, ice, and salt. 

txstateends

Quote from: OCGuy81 on May 04, 2012, 10:25:31 AM
Will the ramp from 99 NB to I-10EB eventually split and have an option to move onto I-10WB?

By the looks of the part of the ramp between 3:11 and 3:14 (where the last "I-10 East  Houston" sign/gantry are), that is likely the future opening for the WB split of the ramp.  That's about the same arrangement as how the ramps for the US 75/I-635 ("High Five") interchange are in Dallas.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Marc

Quote from: txstateends on May 04, 2012, 02:16:47 PM
By the looks of the part of the ramp between 3:11 and 3:14 (where the last "I-10 East  Houston" sign/gantry are), that is likely the future opening for the WB split of the ramp.

You are correct. But I don't believe that is a priority right now.
They seem to be mainly working on the 99SB-10EB and 10WB-99NB ramps, as well as the bridge they will carry 99 directly through the interchange over I-10.

Perfxion

At the same time, they are currently building the ramps to connect SH99 with US290 in Cypress/Fairfield. Right now they are giving room for expanding 290 while building the flyovers.

OCGuy81

QuoteAt the same time, they are currently building the ramps to connect SH99 with US290 in Cypress/Fairfield. Right now they are giving room for expanding 290 while building the flyovers.

Is the segment between the 10 and 290 under construction?  Any photos of the new ramps being built?

Perfxion

From what I seen driving, they are starting FM529 and south to the current project shown in the top of the thread, then FM529 north to US290 to the ramps being built there. Since that side of town is the only one open enough for traffic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.