News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Historic U.S. 6 - west of Quad Cities

Started by Alex, May 25, 2012, 07:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

The stretch of former U.S. 6 between Davenport and Wilton gets Historic U.S. 6 signage.

Old 6 gets its proper name back

QuoteEight big historic-type signs will be erected next month. They will say "Historic Iowa US 6 Route"  and the state of Iowa or federal government has nothing to do with it.

Mayors of three towns along the way – Walcott, Durant and Wilton – agreed on the signs at a summit meeting with the Route 6 Tourist Association.

QuoteAll was well for the Old 6 stretch out of Davenport to Wilton until it was upstaged by I-80. Bureaucrats turned it into an alphabet soup of names, none of them with a "6."  By 1980, the federal government turned the highway over to the state, renaming it IA 927. By 2003, the historic route had been reduced to a mere county road, F58.

QuoteA presentation and dedication of the signs will be 6 p.m. June 14, Wilton Community Center.

Alps

Alex

Quote from: Steve on May 25, 2012, 07:37:59 PM
Just after I took the road, too. :P

I have yet to travel along that road, but will definitely check it out next visit to the QC.  :nod:

bugo

QuoteAll was well for the Old 6 stretch out of Davenport to Wilton until it was upstaged by I-80. Bureaucrats turned it into an alphabet soup of names, none of them with a "6."  By 1980, the federal government turned the highway over to the state, renaming it IA 927. By 2003, the historic route had been reduced to a mere county road, F58.

LOL

Alps

What's so funny about Federal Route 6?

pianocello

I'm glad they're doing this to a road that doesn't have as huge a national significance as 66 or 99. They should sign other locally important historic US highways around the nation as well.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.