News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

LA Times: Why a historic highway...may never reopen (Ridge Route)

Started by DTComposer, May 02, 2016, 03:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

Maybe they should just deconstruct the road. Then make it into a nature path.

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 02, 2016, 04:46:48 PM
Maybe they should just deconstruct the road. Then make it into a nature path.

No. Absolutely not. Do that and you might as well tear up all of Route 66 from Santa Monica to Chicago and knock down everything along it. Even if it doesn't ever open up again, tearing up all of the 1919 era concrete and the foundations of the remnants of historic businesses such as the Tumble Inn is mindless destruction of history. California has already done enough of this mindless destruction and removal to the rest of US 99 between Dunsmuir and Calexico. The pre-1933 route which includes the Ridge Route, take it from my experience and research, is one of the last untouched pieces left of old US 99. Plus, Ridge Route history buff and activist Harrison Scott has strongly argued the Ridge Route is what kept So-Cal from splitting into a separate state.

jakeroot

I say keep it open, but funds for further maintenance should be raised privately. Charge a toll maybe?

Henry

Even if you can't drive your car on it anymore, perhaps it should become a pedestrian/bicycle path.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

The Ghostbuster

It was just an innocent suggestion, 707. If you're thinking I've never been anywhere near this historic road, you would be correct.

Max Rockatansky

It's a damn shame the Ridge Route is mostly closed down but it ought to be left in it's present state.  You can still take a car for a significant portion to old highway stops before you have to walk or ride a bike.  For what it's worth the Ridge Route is much more intact than some sections of Old 66 like out in the Mojave east of Needles.  It's just too bad that nobody really ever thought ahead during the Interstate construction era that people might want historic roads just like they do historic structures.  The one thing I will miss though is that it was a fun driving road with all those curves, it was definitely worth the trip if you weren't in a hurry to get to L.A.

michaelfballard

http://ridgeroute.org if you want to actually get involved with helping the road. The RRPO has a volunteer agreement with the USFS and keys to the gates.
Michael Ballard
President - Ridge Route Preservation Organization - http://ridgeroute.org
Founder - Historic Highway 99 Association of California - https://historic99.org
Southern California Regional Rocks and Roads Website - https://socalregion.com

Plutonic Panda

Fuck LA Times. They are an anti car piece of shit publication. Almost no different than Strongtowns.

jakeroot

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on November 29, 2020, 11:35:25 PM
Fuck LA Times. They are an anti car piece of shit publication. Almost no different than Strongtowns.

Jesus. Kind of late to the hate train.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on December 01, 2020, 01:08:30 AM

I would pair it down and say they more lean towards not having much nice to say regarding freeways.  For some reason the LA Times has had some favorable articles regarding surface roads.  They had an article not too long ago about CA 33 that was actually pretty interesting. 

jakeroot

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 01, 2020, 10:01:06 AM

I would pair it down and say they more lean towards not having much nice to say regarding freeways.  For some reason the LA Times has had some favorable articles regarding surface roads.  They had an article not too long ago about CA 33 that was actually pretty interesting. 

I'd like some examples if anyone has anything? I would think their "not having much nice to say regarding freeways" position is basically the standard when it comes to urban journalism. Freeway works are a hot topic in Los Angeles, and I know a lot of people view it as a losing battle.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on December 01, 2020, 01:10:55 PM

I'd like some examples if anyone has anything? I would think their "not having much nice to say regarding freeways" position is basically the standard when it comes to urban journalism. Freeway works are a hot topic in Los Angeles, and I know a lot of people view it as a losing battle.

Off the top of my head the best example I can point you too was an opinion piece the freeways should be demolished.  For the life of me I can't find it on a basic browser search, but it was a fairly recent article. 

skluth

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 01, 2020, 01:18:48 PM

Off the top of my head the best example I can point you too was an opinion piece the freeways should be demolished.  For the life of me I can't find it on a basic browser search, but it was a fairly recent article.

LA Times is behind a firewall so I'm not going to research it. But this article at Strong Towns may link to the article you're remembering. In the Strong Towns article, it talks of an LA Times op-ed where 'Fleischer gives highlights from L.A.'s chapter in this national tragedy. And he says that while Americans are "[tearing] down insidious monuments to racism and segregation,"  Los Angeles freeways should be bulldozed too.' There's liberal, then there's bat-sh*t crazy. IMO, tearing down the freeways squarely falls into the batsh*t category.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: skluth on December 01, 2020, 05:32:45 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 01, 2020, 01:18:48 PM

LA Times is behind a firewall so I'm not going to research it. But this article at Strong Towns may link to the article you're remembering. In the Strong Towns article, it talks of an LA Times op-ed where 'Fleischer gives highlights from L.A.'s chapter in this national tragedy. And he says that while Americans are "[tearing] down insidious monuments to racism and segregation,"  Los Angeles freeways should be bulldozed too.' There's liberal, then there's bat-sh*t crazy. IMO, tearing down the freeways squarely falls into the batsh*t category.

Yes, it was linked there.  Here is the exact link to the LA Times article:

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2020-06-24/bulldoze-la-freeways-racism-monument?fbclid=IwAR3rwDFTA7g_QUduvKecodP7uh_NPNMA6qwaWY3KzlO7BliQt7iUMAMJ9hA

jakeroot

^^^
That article does not actually call for the removal of freeways. It's calling attention to those who may not recognize that simply removing statues and changing flags is only a small part of the change we'd actually have to make (i.e. change that likely would never happen), to make any reasonable difference to those who have been wronged by America's past.

Also, for the record, that's an opinion piece, and not reflective of the LA Times overall. You may see anti-freeway posts on LA Times, but they are likely to be opinion pieces. Actual negative stories about freeways are likely to be limited to issues with eminent domain or perhaps budget issues.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on December 01, 2020, 05:51:52 PM
^^^
That article does not actually call for the removal of freeways. It's calling attention to those who may not recognize that simply removing statues and changing flags is only a small part of the change we'd actually have to make (i.e. change that likely would never happen), to make any reasonable difference to those who have been wronged by America's past.

Also, for the record, that's an opinion piece, and not reflective of the LA Times overall. You may see anti-freeway posts on LA Times, but they are likely to be opinion pieces. Actual negative stories about freeways are likely to be limited to issues with eminent domain or perhaps budget issues.

To that end I had not read the article was published earlier this year (I did reread it before linking) but I did recall it was an opinion piece as noted above.  It may not be reflective overall of the LA Times but I can see how opinion articles might sway members of the road community one way or another.  To be clear, I have no issue with the Times myself.   I'll go as far to say that Los Angeles isn't the only major city publication which has posted articles like that.  Aside from the Fresno Bee the Times is the paper in California I most frequently read since it often has transpiration topics. 

michaelfballard

I'm curious how all this rhetoric about the LA Times has anything to do with helping the Ridge Route? They are the ones that had the article about the Ridge Route, and have had a few others in the past. Getting the word out about a group that is actively working toward getting the road the help it needs seems a better topic, no?

The Ridge Route WILL reopen, but will need the help of many to do so. Why not join the effort? http://ridgeroute.org is the website for the Ridge Route Preservation Organization. You can even make a tax-deductible contribution, as it is a 501(c)3. I am quite involved in it and have already personally met with the Angeles National Forest Supervisor, and a few others in charge, which were taken on a tour of the road I led to discuss what can be done. I'm also starting a new Historic Highway 99 Association to help contribute to the road, get it signed, and help cities along the way. What have you done for the road?
Michael Ballard
Founder - Historic Highway 99 Association of California - https://historic99.org

cl94

Quote from: michaelfballard on December 02, 2020, 05:48:02 PM
I'm curious how all this rhetoric about the LA Times has anything to do with helping the Ridge Route? They are the ones that had the article about the Ridge Route, and have had a few others in the past. Getting the word out about a group that is actively working toward getting the road the help it needs seems a better topic, no?

The Ridge Route WILL reopen, but will need the help of many to do so. Why not join the effort? http://ridgeroute.org is the website for the Ridge Route Preservation Organization. You can even make a tax-deductible contribution, as it is a 501(c)3. I am quite involved in it and have already personally met with the Angeles National Forest Supervisor, and a few others in charge, which were taken on a tour of the road I led to discuss what can be done. I'm also starting a new Historic Highway 99 Association to help contribute to the road, get it signed, and help cities along the way. What have you done for the road?

What this sounds like:

Quote"You have made a massive mistake. Doing this for me would have made you a symbol in the world of intellect and literature. It is so typical for someone like you to forget this. It is so typical for someone like you to use abbreviated words. I was prepared to open your world to my knowledge and share my stories and art, with you. You will forever regret the choice you just made, so I will offer to let you do this project again. If you do not, you will have to face the consequences."
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

mtantillo

The Ridge Route WILL reopen, but will need the help of many to do so. Why not join the effort?

If you want to rally the troops here, and be a contributing part of the group, perhaps not being such an eggplant with photos would be a good start.

Doubt the road will ever open if the Feds are involved. And the enviros. So I wouldn't waste my $$$.

michaelfballard

Quote from: mtantillo on December 02, 2020, 06:19:53 PM
The Ridge Route WILL reopen, but will need the help of many to do so. Why not join the effort?

If you want to rally the troops here, and be a contributing part of the group, perhaps not being such an eggplant with photos would be a good start.

Doubt the road will ever open if the Feds are involved. And the enviros. So I wouldn't waste my $$$.

I'm assuming you have no knowledge of what is going on or what is involved by that statement. It is very much incorrect.

And if you're referring to the issues with facebook earlier this year, you also know nothing of what happened. I'm not keen on people taking images from my sites and reposting them without permission or citation, especially ones I have personally taken, let alone the others that I had permission to post and made it clear that others weren't allowed to, as per the agreement I had with the owners. Also not keen on people copying my site verbatim and posting it as their own work.
Michael Ballard

cl94

Quote from: michaelfballard on December 02, 2020, 06:42:28 PM
I'm assuming you have no knowledge of what is going on or what is involved by that statement. It is very much incorrect.

You're arguing with the wrong people when it comes to federal issues. It's a bit more than the local supervisor.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on December 01, 2020, 05:51:52 PM
^^^

Here is the Times article on CA 33 I mentioned upthread: 

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-03-01/hope-anxiety-california-primary

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: cl94 on December 02, 2020, 06:11:40 PM

What this sounds like:

Quote"You have made a massive mistake. Doing this for me would have made you a symbol in the world of intellect and literature. It is so typical for someone like you to forget this. It is so typical for someone like you to use abbreviated words. I was prepared to open your world to my knowledge and share my stories and art, with you. You will forever regret the choice you just made, so I will offer to let you do this project again. If you do not, you will have to face the consequences."

:-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.