News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Alps' Roads UPDATE!

Started by Alps, August 29, 2009, 04:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

The Massive Midwest Update is here! Basically everything's new in Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska. Enjoy bridges, button copy, and the following highlights:

Former US 66: Tulsa to St. Louis through 3 states
Iowa: Bridges of Madison County... and Marion County... and Des Moines. A special shield on IA 92.
Kansas: Center of the USA on K-191, K-18 construction
Missouri: MO 364 construction, curious Pemiscot Co. shields on old US 61
Oklahoma: Picher ghost town

You know the drill - comments, corrections, questions, submissions, etc. welcome!

http://www.alpsroads.net/roads

agentsteel53

where'd you find this bugger?

gotta be before 1973, as that is when Missouri abandoned shields which are smaller than 24"

any other old signs in this update?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 23, 2013, 10:27:33 PM
where'd you find this bugger?

gotta be before 1973, as that is when Missouri abandoned shields which are smaller than 24"

any other old signs in this update?
That wasn't part of the update... old submitted sign. As for old signs that I actually found, there are a few like white guide signs, but nothing spectacular. Spectacular new signs, yes, those.

Brandon

Quote from: Steve on May 23, 2013, 06:19:50 PM
The Massive Midwest Update is here! Basically everything's new in Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska. Enjoy bridges, button copy, and the following highlights:

Former US 66: Tulsa to St. Louis through 3 states
Iowa: Bridges of Madison County... and Marion County... and Des Moines. A special shield on IA 92.
Kansas: Center of the USA on K-191, K-18 construction
Missouri: MO 364 construction, curious Pemiscot Co. shields on old US 61
Oklahoma: Picher ghost town

You know the drill - comments, corrections, questions, submissions, etc. welcome!

Picher is an interesting story, from an environmental point of view.  As you know, it was a lead and zinc mining town.  The cave-in risks were only a part of the abandonment; however, it is the mine tailings themselves that are the main reason for the abandonment.  The town had extremely elevated lead levels in the soil and in the people living there due to the mine tailings.  The final straw was the 2008 tornado that not only destroyed homes (that the Feds would not let be rebuilt) but also spread more dust from the toxic mine tailing piles.  Currently, it is a superfund site.

Picher was founded by the Picher Lead Company which merged with the Eagle White Lead Company, forming Eagle-Picher.  They've been the subject of quite a few superfund sites, including a smelter in nearby (to Picher) Joplin, Missouri, and as the defendant in a lot of asbestos litigation.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

route56

On the Missouri US 69 page, you state that the Fairfax/Platte Purchase Bridges "is not and never was part of US 169"

US 169 moved from the 7th Street to the Broadway extension in the early 90's, when the tolls were pulled from the Broadway Bridge. Also, the Broadway Extension reconstruction won't be "several years ago," until at least 2015.

K-131: K-131 actually predates I-35, and ran from US 50 (the "Welcome to Lebo"sign) to the south city limits.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

Alps

Quote from: route56 on May 24, 2013, 04:36:50 PM
On the Missouri US 69 page, you state that the Fairfax/Platte Purchase Bridges "is not and never was part of US 169"

US 169 moved from the 7th Street to the Broadway extension in the early 90's, when the tolls were pulled from the Broadway Bridge. Also, the Broadway Extension reconstruction won't be "several years ago," until at least 2015.

K-131: K-131 actually predates I-35, and ran from US 50 (the "Welcome to Lebo"sign) to the south city limits.
So wait, why are there US 169 shields on I-635 and US 69? What did I misread?
K-131: So basically, nothing of current 131 matches former 131. Neat.

route56

Quote from: Steve on May 24, 2013, 10:31:19 PM
So wait, why are there US 169 shields on I-635 and US 69? What did I misread?

US 169 was moved from the Fairfax/Platte Purchase bridge to the Broadway bridge in 1995. The I-635 sign clearly predates 1995. As for the sign on the approach that you photographed, I'm thinking it's either a MoDOT goof or it was erected during the Broadway Extension closure in 2012.

My issue was with the statement that the Fairfax/Platte Purchase bridges "never was" designated 169 when, in fact, it was US 169
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

Alps

Time for the next update. Connecticut, most of the existing NY pages, and a few more from VT 17. Next update will be the rest of NY including all the new pages. I'm excited overwhelmed... ^W

Anyway, here are some highlights - first NY:
* NY 17: Parksville Bypass construction (since completed)
* NY 25: A lot of Queensboro Bridge views
* NY 52: Stone Arch Bridge
* US 44: 19th-century wooden signpost
* Cross County Pkwy.: unbuilt extension
* I-495: Original Queens-Midtown Tunnel sign

CT:
* July 2011 New Haven meet (only 2 years late)
* Lovers' Leap Bridge

As always, comments, corrections, etc. welcomed!

Alps

Part 2 of the New York update has made it to www.alpsroads.net/roads. It's all sorts of new material, including some special highlights:

Abandoned Richmond Parkway/I-278 interchange
Brooklyn Bridge
Moodna Viaduct
Ancient NYC-area signs on Dyre Ave. and Lincoln Ave.
Features of the 9/10/11 Watertown Meet (only 2 years later)
NY 185 and the May 2012 Lake Champlain Bridge Celebration parade (do you like old cars?)

And much, much more! Comments, corrections, submissions, suggestions, etc. are always welcomed.

hbelkins

I was at that Watertown meet. How did I miss out on being in that group photo?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on August 24, 2013, 10:11:26 AM
I was at that Watertown meet. How did I miss out on being in that group photo?
I think you left before that stop.

Alps

Found a Round Lake Bypass video sitting in the corner, pretending it was from Virginia. I'm going to pretend it was in the previous update, like nothing happened.

Alps

Tonight, just 1500 photos from Virginia and Pennsylvania, featuring the Marshalls Creek Bypass on US 209 and the October 13, 2012 Richmond Road Meet. The latter is important because it brings all sorts of Richmond-area goodies on roads like US 60, VA 161, VA 197, etc. I also have all sorts of Norfolk stuff from tooling around there, from I-x64s to VA 337 and Jordan Bridge construction. You know the drill - www.alpsroads.net/roads, send comments, corrections, questions, submittals, etc.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Steve on September 28, 2013, 11:55:16 PM
Tonight, just 1500 photos from Virginia and Pennsylvania, featuring the Marshalls Creek Bypass on US 209 and the October 13, 2012 Richmond Road Meet. The latter is important because it brings all sorts of Richmond-area goodies on roads like US 60, VA 161, VA 197, etc. I also have all sorts of Norfolk stuff from tooling around there, from I-x64s to VA 337 and Jordan Bridge construction. You know the drill - www.alpsroads.net/roads, send comments, corrections, questions, submittals, etc.

Regarding Virginia, a few comments about the (former) Va. 7100 (Fairfax County Parkway). 

It's now Va. 286. 

The big building under construction in your images at the Engineer Proving Grounds (now officially called Fort Belvoir North Area) is the main building of the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA), which  has been occupied for several years now.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 14, 2013, 12:55:18 AM
Quote from: Steve on September 28, 2013, 11:55:16 PM

Regarding Virginia, a few comments about the (former) Va. 7100 (Fairfax County Parkway). 

It's now Va. 286. 

The big building under construction in your images at the Engineer Proving Grounds (now officially called Fort Belvoir North Area) is the main building of the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA), which  has been occupied for several years now.
I'll have to figure out what I want to do with that page - for example, I kept I-279 intact after half became I-376. Damn DOTs can't keep their hands off...

EDIT: Okay, figured it out. VA 286 it is.

Alps

Over 120 days? Then I'm long overdue for an update!

Today's features: 44 covered bridges of southeastern PA (Bucks, Chester, Lancaster Counties; Schofield Ford and Thomas Mill Bridges; PA 23, 152, 252, and 501; US 30 east of York, and US 322 east of Harrisburg). In Maryland, we have the old US 50 bridge in Annapolis, the December 2011 ICC meet (part 2), and 90 other new pages with old bridges and former alignments. (Check out former MD 442 and MD 856 if you like 10-foot concrete roads from the 1910s.)

As always, comments, corrections, suggestions, etc. are welcomed!

Brian556

The 10ft concrete roads are awesome. Love old alignments like that. Keep up the good work, Steve. I've found a few of these east of Dallas.

It's interesting that there are a lot of one lane country roads in East Texas, but not so much in West Texas

Alps

It's been too long. Tonight, live from Central Jersey, I bring you... Illinois! My US 66 pages are now complete from LA to Chicago, and the Joliet meet is up. I also have hundreds of Chicago-area truss photos that the FBI doesn't want you to see... too bad! Other highlights:
* Brick US 66 on the IL 4 page
* Old sign graveyard on Business I-55 in Springfield
* MacArthur Bridge stubs in East St. Louis (I survived!)
* Rare state-name shields on I-294 and (an original one!) Division St., Chicago

Pib on over to http://www.alpsroads.net/roads to peep it out!

Alps

It's been even too longer, but I've finally pushed out a homebrewed update with some local construction:
* DE 1/I-95 interchange (both pages)
* US 1-9 Truck at US 1-9 (both pages)
* US 206 bypass in Somerset Co. (also see CR 514)
* US 322 bypass in Mullica Hill

And over a thousand other photos. Peep, weep, but do not DARE to ogle-beep without Tim's permission, at http://www.alpsroads.net/roads. Comments, corrections, submissions, etc. are always welcome.

Zeffy

Quote from: Alps on November 14, 2014, 11:31:12 PM
It's been even too longer, but I've finally pushed out a homebrewed update with some local construction:
* DE 1/I-95 interchange (both pages)
* US 1-9 Truck at US 1-9 (both pages)
* US 206 bypass in Somerset Co. (also see CR 514)
* US 322 bypass in Mullica Hill

And over a thousand other photos. Peep, weep, but do not DARE to ogle-beep without Tim's permission, at http://www.alpsroads.net/roads. Comments, corrections, submissions, etc. are always welcome.

Oh man, more New Jersey stuff. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet.  :)
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Alps

Quote from: Zeffy on November 14, 2014, 11:32:37 PM
Oh man, more New Jersey stuff. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet.  :)
On that note,

UPDATE!

And it includes:

• NJ 3 construction
  • NJ Turnpike Int. 6-9 construction (also on NJ 33 and 133 pages)
  • Parkway Int. 48-63 construction
  • tons of old bridges: Paulinskill Viaduct, Brugler Rd. in Knowlton, Paterson, Elm St. (CR 567), Ward St. in Hightstown
  • several meets, including the famous ice cream social
  • six new videos
Comments, corrections, etc., whatever, always welcome. Happy Hanukkah and happy holidays!

~ http://www.alpsroads.net/roads

jakeroot

Did you ever upload any photos from out meet back in October?

ronaldlee11

Did you upload any pics from the Ashland, Kentucky meet back in 2013?

Roadmaestro95

I have a whole ton of new photos for you Steve if you want to grab em from me. I got an ancient one from Fort Niagara State Park that you would probably like within them!
Hope everyone is safe!

Alps

Quote from: jakeroot on January 02, 2015, 02:26:08 AM
Did you ever upload any photos from out meet back in October?
I'm still running through 2012. Australia comes next. Our meet is on the back end of the update after that - figure 2016.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.