News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Caltrans Freeway Entrance Signage

Started by stevenliu96, May 24, 2017, 02:04:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevenliu96

I noticed that Caltrans especially District 7 in Los Angeles County changing the order of freeway entrance signage. It used to be "FREEWAY ENTRANCE", the shield, cardinal direction, and down arrow. Now they changed it to "FREEWAY ENTRANCE", cardinal direction, shield, and down arrow. It's not that big of a change, but I find it interesting anyway.

jrouse

Yes, this was due to a recent change in the CA MUTCD to be consistent with the federal MUTCD requirement to place the cardinal direction plaque above the shield.

roadfro

I'm usually a bit of a stickler for this sort of stuff, so I applaud the change. It was always interesting to me that Caltrans would consistently mount the directional plaques below the shield on the freeway entrance assemblies, but usually mount it above the shield for reassurance on the route.

I will note, however, I actually liked the look of having the cardinal direction plaque below the shield on freeway entrance assemblies for state highways, due to the shape of the CA state highway shield. (It still looks off to me when the plaques are mounted below a US or Interstate shield though.)
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Bitmapped

When I was in California last week, I was surprised at how low these assemblies are mounted. WV has started using Freeway Entrance signage but they mount the shields at normal height with the "Freeway Entrance" panel above like https://goo.gl/maps/GMJHYBDqSqt

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.