News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Was a spur from I-390 to Buffalo ever planned?

Started by NE2, May 12, 2013, 07:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

Right now there's no direct all-freeway route between NYC and Toronto (cutting over on US 20A to NY 16 saves 18 miles over I-81 to I-90, and 21 miles if going to Buffalo). Was a freeway considered along the US 20A corridor?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

okc1

The section of I-390 between NY 63/408 & US 20A was one of the last segments to be completed, as the state planned a high-speed interchange from 390 to such a spur, which would have connected to an upgraded NY 63 to Batavia, or be part of a US 20A freeway to NY 400 in East Aurora.

390 was built without the interchange due to local NIMBY opposition.  A study to improve 63 was planned several years ago, not sure if it took place,
Steve Reynolds
Midwest City OK
Native of Southern Erie Co, NY

MBHockey13

I went to a meeting about this back in 2002 before I left the Buffalo area. Lots of NIMBY's and all that - and then I stood up and actually was one voice defending a NY-63 upgrade. My point was the truck traffic is already on NY-63, so doing nothing isn't going to help - it's only going to keep hurting people in accidents.

Looks like the project site hasn't been upgraded much since 2002: https://www.dot.ny.gov/regional-offices/region4/projects/route63-corridor-study/

It's a good cutoff from Canada and Northern Buffalo and suburbs, from I-90 to I-390. Much faster than going all the way to I-390 from I-90.

However, my mom has since moved to West Seneca, which is in the Southtowns, so I take NY-400 to US-20A to County 60 to NY-36 to I-390. Warsaw has REALLY steep hills with multiple truck ban signs and turn-arounds. Car-wise it's not bad, though.

WNYroadgeek

A freeway running from I-390 in Mt. Morris to the Thruway in Pembroke was once proposed:

QuoteAs part of a large scale study in the early 2000s, NYSDOT determined that NY 63 from Mount Morris to Pavilion, along with US 20 and NY 77–termed the "Route 63 Corridor"–were major trouble routes, primarily because of increased truck traffic using the corridor as a bypass between I-390 in Mount Morris and the New York State Thruway in Pembroke. The most publicized and perhaps most fought-over possibility mentioned was that of a new expressway from Mount Morris to Pembroke, bypassing these three routes. The Wyoming County Chamber of Commerce was a driving force behind this, hoping interchanges in Perry, Warsaw and Attica would promote business growth.

While residents along the NY 63 corridor are against the increased truck traffic along the corridor (spurred by the North American Free Trade Agreement), most of those same residents, along with other groups, also fought the proposed expressway. The general consensus of all of these groups is that NYSDOT should impose restrictions on the NY 63 corridor and force trucks to remain on I-390 and the Thruway to travel between Buffalo and Pennsylvania.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_State_Route_63#Proposed_Mount_Morris.E2.80.93Pavilion_bypass

MBHockey13

Quote from: WNYroadgeek on May 16, 2013, 12:49:19 AM
A freeway running from I-390 in Mt. Morris to the Thruway in Pembroke was once proposed:

QuoteAs part of a large scale study in the early 2000s, NYSDOT determined that NY 63 from Mount Morris to Pavilion, along with US 20 and NY 77–termed the "Route 63 Corridor"–were major trouble routes, primarily because of increased truck traffic using the corridor as a bypass between I-390 in Mount Morris and the New York State Thruway in Pembroke. The most publicized and perhaps most fought-over possibility mentioned was that of a new expressway from Mount Morris to Pembroke, bypassing these three routes. The Wyoming County Chamber of Commerce was a driving force behind this, hoping interchanges in Perry, Warsaw and Attica would promote business growth.

While residents along the NY 63 corridor are against the increased truck traffic along the corridor (spurred by the North American Free Trade Agreement), most of those same residents, along with other groups, also fought the proposed expressway. The general consensus of all of these groups is that NYSDOT should impose restrictions on the NY 63 corridor and force trucks to remain on I-390 and the Thruway to travel between Buffalo and Pennsylvania.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_State_Route_63#Proposed_Mount_Morris.E2.80.93Pavilion_bypass

That was the consensus at the meeting I attended as well - from the attendees. The NYSDOT explained a few times that they can't just ban truck traffic because the residents want them to - they have a right to use the road like anyone else.

I imagine the truck traffic is STILL there - and probably heavier than ever. Of course, not having ever built the new or companion Peace Bridge may have slowed things down slightly, but that is a completely different issue...

mtantillo

Oh the truck traffic is definitely still there alright.

That is why I prefer US 20A, where NYS has successfully imposed a truck ban.

Bumppoman

I use NY-63 between Geneseo and Batavia, on my way from Binghamton to Buffalo, several times a year.  While I would love an interstate-quality road, I've never had a big problem.  Every now and then, you get a slow truck but most of them move pretty fast.  If not, there's a long passing lane on either side of Pavilion.

Nevertheless, I've personally witnessed the traffic volumes increasing over the past five years I've been making the trip.  In another ten, I can foresee an issue.  That's an extremely rural part of the state and a highway wouldn't disturb anything of value.  They seldom do, though, but the freeway revolters don't care about that.

MBHockey13

Quote from: mtantillo on May 18, 2013, 03:03:52 PM

Well that truck ban is because of the approaches into Warsaw - they are almost straight downhill. It does help as a defacto truck ban on the rest of the US-20A - which makes it nice for us car drivers.

NYhwyfan

Quote from: Bumppoman on May 20, 2013, 07:44:47 AM
I use NY-63 between Geneseo and Batavia, on my way from Binghamton to Buffalo, several times a year.  While I would love an interstate-quality road, I've never had a big problem.  Every now and then, you get a slow truck but most of them move pretty fast.  If not, there's a long passing lane on either side of Pavilion.

Nevertheless, I've personally witnessed the traffic volumes increasing over the past five years I've been making the trip.  In another ten, I can foresee an issue.  That's an extremely rural part of the state and a highway wouldn't disturb anything of value.  They seldom do, though, but the freeway revolters don't care about that.

NY 63 is a much faster alternative to I-390 to Buffalo and is a pretty nice drive. As stated earlier truck traffic isn't going to decrease anytime soon so another alternative such as a spur would be a great idea.

mtantillo

Quote from: MBHockey13 on May 21, 2013, 12:12:49 AM
Quote from: mtantillo on May 18, 2013, 03:03:52 PM

Well that truck ban is because of the approaches into Warsaw - they are almost straight downhill. It does help as a defacto truck ban on the rest of the US-20A - which makes it nice for us car drivers.

Yes, it is very nice.  As my preferred US/Canada crossing is the Peace Bridge (because they take E-ZPass!), using NY 63 would put me too far north and involve some backtracking to the south anyway. 

That said, is the preferred trucking route NY 63 to NY 98, entering the Thruway at Exit 48, or is it NY 63 to US 20 to NY 77, entering the Thruway at Exit 48A?  Seems like the study above suggests the latter route as the "NY 63 corridor", presumably to avoid Batavia.  Is Batavia really that bad?  Google Maps seems to think negligible time difference between using Thruway Exit 48 vs. 48A, and I always thought through Batavia was the "preferred" route, but then I realized the big truck stop is off of Exit 48A...presumably to capture that "cut to I-390" traffic (since trucks staying on the Thruway wouldn't get off and back on, due to the toll plaza and the fact that there are plenty of Service Areas on the Thruway). 

vdeane

Batavia has some urban TOTSOs, and exit 48A is a smoother curve to get on and off.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

mtantillo

Quote from: vdeane on May 29, 2013, 11:38:43 AM
Batavia has some urban TOTSOs, and exit 48A is a smoother curve to get on and off.

What on earth is a TOTSO?

Nevermind, figured it out.  http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=TOTSO
"Turn Off to Stay On"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.