News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Possible New KS Turnpike interchange in Topeka

Started by skluth, November 24, 2022, 07:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skluth

Possible new Kansas Turnpike interchange in Topeka

City leaders consider adding new Kansas Turnpike interchange

TOPEKA (KSNT)- Topeka City leaders are are moving forward with plans to give Topeka commuters more options on the Kansas Turnpike.

Topeka City Council is pairing up with the Kansas Turnpike Authority to create a concept study to add an interchange to the turnpike near 29th and California Ave.

This project is estimated to cost around $20 million.

Full article here.

Bobby5280

With more toll roads shifting to modern cash-less payment systems (RFID toll tags, license plate readers) it should only be natural for toll roads to add more exits.

In the past the big limitation was human employees needed to man toll booths. Of course some of the exits on our turnpikes didn't have manned toll booths, but did require exact change. Those setups usually required a working bill changer among other hardware to be installed. A cash-less turnpike needs nothing more than an overhead pole structure to hold RFID readers and cameras.

I'm looking forward to more exits being built on I-44 between Lawton and Oklahoma City. I just hope it doesn't take a great deal of time to get those new exits built.

plain

Is the KTA actually planning on going cashless?
Newark born, Richmond bred

US 89

Quote from: plain on November 25, 2022, 10:06:06 PM
Is the KTA actually planning on going cashless?

When I drove on it in August, it was full of “Cashless Tolling Coming 2024” signs next to what are clearly going to be AET gantries.

edwaleni

Quote from: skluth on November 24, 2022, 07:05:54 PM
Possible new Kansas Turnpike interchange in Topeka

City leaders consider adding new Kansas Turnpike interchange

TOPEKA (KSNT)- Topeka City leaders are are moving forward with plans to give Topeka commuters more options on the Kansas Turnpike.

Topeka City Council is pairing up with the Kansas Turnpike Authority to create a concept study to add an interchange to the turnpike near 29th and California Ave.

This project is estimated to cost around $20 million.

Full article here.

KTA is also looking at an exit facility at Auburn.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.