News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Yield or stop?

Started by M3019C LPS20, May 12, 2013, 11:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

Quote from: kphoger on May 13, 2013, 03:13:10 PM
I tried deftly avoiding mention of the mini roundabout, because I didn't want this thread to devolve into an argument about whether roundabouts are good or bad.

Nah, now this thread is going to steer towards if mini roundabouts are worse than regular roundabouts    :sombrero:

I say the mini's are worse because they are designed so if a large truck needs to make a turn, they can drive over the center island and make a traditional left turn versus going around the circle (or so I've been told).  So what is to stop anyone else from simply driving over the center island?  And is this really safer, given the violation of driver expectations?

realjd

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 18, 2013, 10:30:06 PM
I tried deftly avoiding mention of the mini roundabout, because I didn't want this thread to devolve into an argument about whether roundabouts are good or bad.

Nah, now this thread is going to steer towards if mini roundabouts are worse than regular roundabouts    :sombrero:

I say the mini's are worse because they are designed so if a large truck needs to make a turn, they can drive over the center island and make a traditional left turn versus going around the circle (or so I've been told).  So what is to stop anyone else from simply driving over the center island?  And is this really safer, given the violation of driver expectations?

Physically yes, anyone can drive over a small mini roundabout. In the UK they even have some where it's literally a circle painted on the ground. But making it a mini roundabout defines ROW at the intersection. Just like we have rules for a 4-way stop, this is how people treat a 4-way yield in places with mini roundabouts.

kphoger

Yeah, paint persuades most people from doing what isn't allowed.  In cases where there would be vehicle conflicts, then the presence of other cars in the roundabout would also dissuade most people from just barging across.

Not to mention, as I said, they do make metal islands that are not quite flush.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: realjd on May 19, 2013, 08:11:35 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on May 18, 2013, 10:30:06 PM

Physically yes, anyone can drive over a small mini roundabout. In the UK they even have some where it's literally a circle painted on the ground. But making it a mini roundabout defines ROW at the intersection. Just like we have rules for a 4-way stop, this is how people treat a 4-way yield in places with mini roundabouts.

What I dislike in the UK are the "chained" mini-roundabouts (with the exception that I loved the Magic Roundabout in Swindon). Even my British friends hate those things. Here's a Street View of one I encountered in Bristol: http://goo.gl/maps/UT95Y 

I was coming from the same direction as the blue Ford located to the left of the camera and I wanted to, in essence, go straight (meaning take the first exit from the first mini-roundabout and the second exit from the second mini-roundabout). I think what made me uncomfortable was the very cramped quarters and knowing I might have to give way on entering the second mini-roundabout (ultimately I did not). I think the Magic Roundabout was different because it felt like there was more room–they weren't rammed right up against each other.

I cannot imagine chained mini-roundabouts becoming common or successful in the United States.

(BTW, here's the satellite view of that spot in Bristol: http://goo.gl/maps/n7QL4 )
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

agentsteel53

to resurrect a slightly dusty thread:

I was thinking about this while driving through a four-way-stop infested neighborhood this Sunday, having to stop 6-8 times for absolutely no traffic. 

what if we replaced all the STOP signs at an intersection with a pair: YIELD (standard triangle) and a rectangle "TO TRAFFIC IN INTERSECTION".

what are the disadvantages of it?  I feel like this is such a simple solution - requiring no intersection redesign - that if there weren't something overtly flawed about it, it would be more regularly implemented.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

It leaves open the problem that a driver would not be legally obligated to yield to a vehicle a mere three inches away from entering the intersection.

The more I think about the problem, the more certain I become that no possible solution would actually function any differently than an uncontrolled intersection.  The best I can come up with, in fact, is a YIELD sign with an ALL WAY plaque below it.  That at least lets you know that cross traffic isn't facing a STOP sign–which is one problem with uncontrolled intersections.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on May 28, 2013, 02:08:54 PM
It leaves open the problem that a driver would not be legally obligated to yield to a vehicle a mere three inches away from entering the intersection.

The more I think about the problem, the more certain I become that no possible solution would actually function any differently than an uncontrolled intersection.  The best I can come up with, in fact, is a YIELD sign with an ALL WAY plaque below it.  That at least lets you know that cross traffic isn't facing a STOP sign–which is one problem with uncontrolled intersections.

the uncontrolled intersection would be priority to the right, while this one would give priority to a car from the left if it was already in the intersection. 

let's say vehicles approached from the west and the south.  W arrives first, by a split second. 

priority-to-the-right implies it must slow or stop to allow S to proceed.

yielding to traffic already in the intersection implies that S must slow or stop for W.

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 28, 2013, 02:41:55 PM
Quote from: kphoger on May 28, 2013, 02:08:54 PM

the uncontrolled intersection would be priority to the right, while this one would give priority to a car from the left if it was already in the intersection. 

let's say vehicles approached from the west and the south.  W arrives first, by a split second. 

priority-to-the-right implies it must slow or stop to allow S to proceed.

yielding to traffic already in the intersection implies that S must slow or stop for W.

I guess I give way to traffic already in the intersection anyway at uncontrolled intersections.  Otherwise, I'd end up in a car wreck.  But my point remains that a four-way yield would function the same as an uncontrolled intersection.  That is, people would either blow through them at 30 mph without looking, or would come to a dead stop and have no clue who's supposed to go first.
Male pronouns, please.

31E

Yield or stop? I strongly favor yielding over stopping for almost all intersections where stop signs are posted now.

I would think a four-way yield would be better than an uncontrolled intersection, because it discourages people from thinking they have the right of way and then acting accordingly (blowing through the intersection). The law should be written so that a four-way yield functions like a four-way stop, but without a full stop being required. A "slow, proceed with caution" sign represents another possibility for these sort of intersections. If I were in charge, I'd put in a roundabout if two streets of equal importance intersected, rather than a four-way stop; otherwise I'd use yield signs (four-way or two-way) and in some situations such as cul-de-sacs I'd leave it uncontrolled. Of course, we could sidestep the problem of four-way yields altogether by posting two-way yields everywhere (that's the British approach).

agentsteel53

indeed, a sign that said 'EXECUTE CALIFORNIA ROLLING STOP LIKE YOU ALREADY DO' would work just fine.

jake@aaroads.com

jeffandnicole

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 30, 2013, 09:50:26 PM
indeed, a sign that said 'EXECUTE CALIFORNIA ROLLING STOP LIKE YOU ALREADY DO' would work just fine.

Personally, I would prefer to see this: "SOUTH PHILLY SLIDE PERMITTED".

kphoger

Or just put a MEH. plaque below the stop sign.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.