News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New York - Interstate 86

Started by Voyager, January 20, 2009, 06:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voyager

Has it been completed past Elmira yet? This has got to be one of the most interesting Interstates I've ever seen, especially with how it's routed through the state.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

Alex

Interstate 86 is also fully signed on a brief segment leading east from Interstate 81.

agentsteel53

there are also I-86 shields in Sullivan County!

free standing, and on green sign.  Yes, a state name on the I-shield is too much to ask for.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

vdeane

As far as I know, it hasn't.  I really wish the DOT would get moving with it.  It's like after they got that first segment to Corning that they don't care anymore.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Snappyjack

They have kinda slowed down the pace with the conversion. Nothing has really been completed since the Horseheads/Elmira project in 2005/2006. Yes, a small section east of Binghamton was also signed, as mentioned.

The only parts needed to be fixed is where the road meets I-81 in Binghamton, and various locations throughout the Catskill Mountains(at grade intersections, driveways, etc). The I-86 to I-87 south exit ramp at the eastern terminus was recently widened and extended, and the northbound entrance and exit ramps are currently being widened to coincide with the Highway Speed EZPass project that is taking place at the mainline Thruway toll barrier at that location.

vdeane

There's also the at-grade intersections east of Elmira.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Dougtone

There is also a section in Chemung County that needs to be upgraded, east of Elmira.

njroadhorse

Is NY 17 going to be cosigned once its all finished?  :confused:
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

vdeane

No one is really sure.  I would hope that they could move NY 17 back to its original alignment.  No need to have it cosigned the whole way and it would be a shame to have it decommissioned.

The sign assemblies all have I-86 and the Southern Tier Expressway and (where applicable) NY 15 on the same assembly but NY 17 is always separate.  Therefore I think it won't be cosigned when I-86 is complete.

Chris

Any chance the NY-17/I-86 will get extended from it's current terminus near Harriman via Peekskill to Norwalk? (U.S. 7 / I-95)? Would make a nice bypass of the greater New York metro.

Snappyjack

Yes, but this is New York. You will never see it happen. Every time there is a call to expand a road or build a new one, it is shot down due to there being "too much traffic" on the new roads, or a lack thereof to warrant a new highway in the first place. Total excuses to avoid the truth if you ask me. Yes, it would be nice, and yes it would ease congestion, but alas, I won't hold my breath.

I have tons of ideas to get traffic flowing in New York's cities, many of which were original, rejected proposals. Unfortunately, politics get in the way.

Dougtone

Politics always seem to get in the way of a lot of projects around New York State, and with finances the way they're going now here in the Empire State, I suspect a lot of road projects that do make their way past the proposal stage will take a back seat to more pressing issues.

us44mt

I'm wondering if I 86 will ever make it east of Binghamton. In light of the amount of upgrades needed and current economic conditions, I have my doubts.

TheHighwayMan3561

Who is the face on the Southern Tier Expressway signs?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Alex

Quote from: us44mt on January 26, 2009, 09:42:53 AM
I'm wondering if I 86 will ever make it east of Binghamton. In light of the amount of upgrades needed and current economic conditions, I have my doubts.

Well there's already a stretch of NY 17 that is now a part of Interstate 86 from Interstate 81 eastward  :-P

us44mt

I would think that it can't be a very long stretch as I remember that there are still homes with driveways along the route, I think within 20-25 miles of Binghamton.

I was really thinking of the areas down closer to where I am. The Parksville area is still a problem and many of the exit/entrance ramps in Orange County are sub standard. Exit 122 eastbound is awful.

vdeane

It reverts to just NY 17 at exit 79 (ironically NY 79); is it not interstate standards between exits 79 and 84 for some reason?

jackson1300

In my opinion, NY 17 and NY 15 should be decommisioned completely from west of the US-15 interchange, and all current interstate standard portions of 17 should be renamed I-86/NY-17, while at-grade sections instead of being signed "Future I-86", should be temporarily signed as either "Temporary 86" or even better NY-17/Business I-86 until the upgrades are completed, which in my opinion of sorts would stretch out I-86 the entire length from I-90 near Erie, PA all the way to I-87/NY Thruway near Harriman, NY.  Then all the signs could read I-86/NY-17,or Bus.86/NY-17. 

Then I believe that I-99 should be stretched from its current end near Bellefonte, PA onto I-80 and follow the US-220 corridor from near Lock Haven, PA to follow the US-15 freeway corridor from Williamsport, PA to Corning, NY then either terminate at I-86 or follow I-86 WB to replace I-390 to Rochester, NY and terminate at I-490 near downtown Rochester, or at I-590 Downtown Rochester.

mightyace

QuoteThen I believe that I-99 should be stretched from its current end near Bellefonte, PA onto I-80 and follow the US-220 corridor from near Lock Haven, PA to follow the US-15 freeway corridor from Williamsport, PA to Corning, NY

That part has been on the books for some time now.  There are a few freeway gaps on US 220 and US 15 that need to be finished before I-99 is extended any farther north.  Some of those are already in progress.

Anything beyond Corning is just speculation at this point.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Alex

And I see no need to extend Interstate 99 northward to Rochester from its planned end at Interstate 86. I certainly hope that it does not happen, as Interstate 390 has some nostalgic meaning for me.

PAHighways

Since New York is out of x90s, an extension to Rochester would free up 390 to be used somewhere else.

Alex

That is assuming they would take Interstate 99 north to Interstate 490, then would New York 390 change to New York 99?

I doubt that New York would ever need another x090. Most of the cities that Interstate 90 travels through are not growing much these days...

Michael

treichard

Between I-86 Exit 56 and I-87, are there any substandard sections of NY 17 that will not be either accepted as substandard or upgraded by reconstructing existing NY 17? That is, will any section of this part of existing NY 17 be bypassed by I-86 later? If so, from where to where?
Map your cumulative highway travel
Clinched Highway Mapping
http://cmap.m-plex.com/

Duke87

There are three sections which still have at grade intersections that will need to be removed. Here, here, and here (where that signal is). Nothing which is densely populated enough to require outright bypassing, just severing a few connections, building a few overpasses, putting in a few interchanges, and providing a bit of frontage along the existing routing.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.