News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Phoenix area logo sign installation tracking thread

Started by Pink Jazz, August 14, 2014, 03:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

Quote from: blanketcomputer on January 08, 2015, 12:24:50 PM
It seems like a good number of the signs so far only have QuikTrip on them. If a company signs up today, how long would they have to wait to be added to a sign?

Not sure.  Note that at some interchanges where the potential demand exceeds the available supply of sign space, those who get their place on a sign is determined by a competitive bidding process.

Note that I actually see far more food businesses who have signed up for the urban logo sign program than gas and lodging businesses. Some interchanges have more than one Food sign per direction; I never see more than one Gas or Lodging sign per direction.  QT seems to be far more interested in the program than other gas businesses, however, I have also seen Chevron, Shell, ARCO, Fry's, Flying J, and Pilot as well on some of the Phoenix area logo signs as well.  You can view photos of every logo sign in the state at the Grand Canyon State Logo Signs website, although sometimes they take a while to update each interchange.

Post Merge: August 07, 2016, 01:21:16 PM

FYI, this past month the exit at Loop 101 and Glendale Avenue got a massive amount of lodging businesses (and one additional food business) to sign up; this is the only exit in the Valley with a full 6 panel LODGING sign.   This particular exit is where Westgate is located.  The reason for the delay of installation for some of these businesses (five lodging and one food) is that it required pathfinder signs to be placed on City of Glendale right-of-way, which they have approved as of October 28, 2014.  Five pathfinder signs have been installed (three on Glendale Avenue, one on 95th Avenue, and one on Zanjero Boulevard). 

So far, the cities of Phoenix, Avondale, and Glendale have approved to allow ADOT to install pathfinder signs on city right-of-way, although there hasn't been any need for their installation in Avondale so far.  On the other hand, the City of Scottsdale has declined to allow ADOT to place pathfinder signs on city right-of-way, thus any business in Scottsdale who wants to sign up for a logo sign must be located directly on and clearly visible from the main exited road; those who are located on a cross street or who are not clearly visible from the main exited road will not be eligible. 

Scottsdale IMO is such a snobby city; they try to do everything against what other Phoenix area cities do.  They declined light rail, and now they decline to allow many poor businesses to get a logo sign except if they are directly on the main exited road and are clearly visible.

pumpkineater2

I was driving by on the 101 in the west valley this evening and I spotted  some new logo signs at Indian school road, advertising for businesses on Thomas road.

I drove this same stretch of freeway yesterday afternoon and did not notice them then, so I believe they were installed last night. Just FYI.
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

Pink Jazz

Quote from: pumpkineater2 on March 04, 2015, 10:59:47 PM
I was driving by on the 101 in the west valley this evening and I spotted  some new logo signs at Indian school road, advertising for businesses on Thomas road.

I drove this same stretch of freeway yesterday afternoon and did not notice them then, so I believe they were installed last night. Just FYI.

They are only installed in the southbound direction for that particular exit.  They were installed in June of last year.  That is unless a set of signs have also recently been installed in the northbound direction, or a second panel with additional logos has been installed in the southbound direction.

Post Merge: August 07, 2016, 01:21:12 PM

Somewhat off-topic: I have been pondering about the program, and after installation is complete in the Phoenix and Tucson areas, Flagstaff and Yuma are planned to be transitioned from the rural program to the urban program.

What I have been wondering about is how will businesses in Flagstaff and Yuma be affected by these changes. 

In the rural program, the rates are a flat monthly fee (although camping businesses may be eligible for discounts), with mainline freeway signage being $120/month, ramp and trailblazer signage $18/month, and non-freeway signage $44/month.  For freeway and ramp signage, that translates to $1656/year.

In the urban program, on the other hand, leases are annual and are based on AADT.  In most cases the urban pricing will be higher than the rural pricing except if the AADT is less than 30,000 (which the rate is $1600/year).  On some urban exits where the likely demand exceeds the available supply, ADOT conducts competitive bids to determine who gets their position on the signs.

Also, the urban program limits the number of mainline signs per direction to two per interchange.  Some exits in Flagstaff and Yuma have up to four signs per direction.  Some businesses may have an issue with this change as there will less space to get on one the signs.

Does anyone have their own opinion?

Post Merge: August 07, 2016, 01:21:10 PM

According to a recent news article, the first logo signs along SR 51 have been installed this month.  However, no mention on specific exits and the GCSLS website hasn't been updated with them yet.  Buildout for SR 51 (and I presume Loop 202 except the Red Mountain Freeway between Loop 101 and Gilbert Road) is scheduled to complete in July of this year, with the next phase being the US 60 Superstition Freeway and Loop 202 Red Mountain between Loop 101 and Gilbert Road.

EDIT: I also asked GCSLS when should the SanTan Freeway will be getting some, and they should go up in June and should also be completed by the end of July for the interchanges that are participating.  I think there will be a lot of interest at Arizona Avenue, Williams Field Road, Power Road, and possibly the Val Vista exit.  Not sure if the cities of Chandler, Gilbert, or Mesa have approved the installation of pathfinder signs on municipal right of way for business who are located on a cross street or not clearly visible from the main road off the freeway.

Post Merge: August 07, 2016, 01:21:08 PM

Update - March/April 2015

Here are several new installations for the past two months, with the first signs officially up on SR 51:

• SR 51 and Bethany Home Road
  • SR 51 and Glendale Avenue/Lincoln Drive
  • SR 51 and 32nd Street (northbound only)
  • SR 51 and Cactus Road
  • SR 51 and Greenway Road
  • SR 51 and Bell Road
  • Loop 101 and 56th Street

jakeroot

Quote from: Pink Jazz on April 23, 2015, 12:43:03 PM
Here are several new installations for the past two months, with the first signs officially up on SR 51:

And these are all new 'logo' signs, meaning blue signs with points of interest on them? Interesting. I can't think of any new logo signs in my area, frankly ever. POIs on existing signs change every so often, but completely new signs...I can't think of any. The 395 Freeway in Spokane might have a couple, but I haven't been able to visit so I couldn't be sure.

blanketcomputer

I've noticed some signs along the Red Mountain Freeway have been updated to include more companies. I guess that sheds some light on my previous question of the wait time on updating the logo boards. I also thought it was interesting that a Village Inn in Mesa at McKellips Road and Recker Road is on the logo board of Loop 202 at the exit for McKellips and the exit for Recker Road. Are there any other companies with a single location on two separate interchange signs?

Pink Jazz

Quote from: blanketcomputer on April 24, 2015, 11:06:53 AM
I've noticed some signs along the Red Mountain Freeway have been updated to include more companies. I guess that sheds some light on my previous question of the wait time on updating the logo boards. I also thought it was interesting that a Village Inn in Mesa at McKellips Road and Recker Road is on the logo board of Loop 202 at the exit for McKellips and the exit for Recker Road. Are there any other companies with a single location on two separate interchange signs?

What new businesses did you notice?  I don't see any on the photos on the GCSLS website, so I guess they haven't posted the photos of the updated signs on Loop 202.  As far as I know, there are no other single location businesses who have a sign at two different exits.  However, soon there will be logo signs installed at the Highland Avenue and Colter Street exits on SR 51, with Smashburger, Chick-Fil-A, Chipolte, and Culver's on the signs for both exits.  These interchanges were bid separately; QuikTrip will only be on the Highland sign, while Starbucks will only be on the Colter sign.

Post Merge: August 07, 2016, 01:21:05 PM

Interestingly, the I-10 and Chandler Blvd seems to generate a lot of demand for logo signs, as GCSLS has announced today 12 winning bidders for the 2015-2016 lease on that particular interchange (10 Food and 2 Lodging), although only half of the winning bidders will be signed in both directions due to lack of available sign space in the westbound direction for two panels; I assume those that get signed only one way will only pay half of their bid.  Perhaps it could be because this is the first/last exit in and out of the main Phoenix area (not counting Loop 202/Pecos Road), since the next exit in the eastbound direction falls under the scope of the rural logo sign program.

andy3175

I actually saw an article about the new logo signs in Phoenix:
http://ktar.com/22/1820847/Service-signs-continue-to-pop-up-along-Valley-freeways

QuoteSigns that inform drivers about what kind of services are available at exits along freeways are becoming a more common sight in the Valley.

The big blue signs, commonly see along rural highways, are part of a multi-year program by the Arizona Department of Transportation to generate some revenue and keep drivers informed.

Recently signs have been popping up along State Route 51 in Phoenix.

"The build out will be completed on the 51 by July 1 or so of this year and then we have more to do, we have other freeways that we will focus on," said ADOT Spokeswoman Laura Douglas.

Additional freeways in the Valley that will receive signs include U.S. 60, I-10, I-17, Loop 101 and others, Douglas said.

After work in the Valley is complete, Douglas said the signs will be installed in other urban areas of the state as well. ...

Besides keeping drivers informed, Douglas said the signs also help bring in revenue for the department because businesses bid to have their logos put on them. "The minimum bid has been established at $3,200 a year," Douglas said.

Each sign has six logo spaces and to keep things fair, ADOT uses a bidding system where the second highest bid is the one that prevails, Douglas said.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Pink Jazz

Quote from: andy3175 on May 11, 2015, 12:03:03 AM
I actually saw an article about the new logo signs in Phoenix:
http://ktar.com/22/1820847/Service-signs-continue-to-pop-up-along-Valley-freeways

Yep, I already saw that article a while ago.  The current buildout phase is for SR 51 and Loop 202, which are planned to be mostly complete by the end of July except for the portion of the Red Mountain Freeway between Loop 101 and Gilbert Road, which is currently being widened.  That portion of Loop 202 as well as the US 60 Superstition Freeway will be the next phase.  After that in 2016 will be the remaining portion of Loop 101 between the Loop 202 Red Mountain Freeway and Shea Blvd.  Finally, Loop 303 is planned for 2018.

BTW, I wonder when should the buildout in the Tucson area begin.  Perhaps in 2017 would seem likely.

Post Merge: August 07, 2016, 01:17:55 PM

Looking at the GCSLS website, it appears that many signs have recently gotten more logos added to them, even at interchanges that logo placement was determined by a competitive bid.  For example, for the 2014-2015 lease at the I-10 and Ray Road exit, there were only four winning bidders (Jack in the Box, Red Lobster, Barro's Pizza, and IHOP).  However, two new logos have since been added to the signs for this interchange (Mellow Mushroom Pizza and Chick-Fil-A).

I wonder, at interchanges that are determined by competitive bids, if there are not enough winning bidders to fill the full capacity of available sign space, do other businesses get to pay the fixed rate card pricing based on AADT to fill the rest of the sign?  That would be interesting to know.

Post Merge: August 07, 2016, 01:17:52 PM

UPDATE - May 2015

Today, I just saw the first logo signs installed on the Loop 202 SanTan Freeway, at the following exits:

• Loop 202 SanTan and Price Road
  • Loop 202 SanTan and Alma School Road
  • Loop 202 SanTan and Arizona Avenue (incompletely signed as of May 28, 2015; all ramp signs installed with Food and Gas businesses, but only Gas-QuikTrip currently installed on mainline signage)

Follow-Up - June 5, 2015 - Today, when driving on the 202 SanTan Freeway, the posts have gone up for the installation of logo signs on every exit from Arizona Avenue to Power Road.  It seems that installation is progressing fast on the SanTan Freeway.  This includes posts for the additional Food signs at the Arizona Avenue exit, which are currently only signed at the ramps.  Based on what I saw, the McQueen, Cooper, Val Vista, SanTan Village, Williams Field, and Higley exits will have one sign per direction, while the Arizona, Gilbert, and Power exits will have two signs per direction.  In addition, there are also posts installed for logo signs at the Guadalupe exit as well, also with one sign per direction.

Post Merge: August 07, 2016, 01:17:50 PM

Update - June 18, 2015

This week, several more logo signs have gone up at several exits on the Loop 202 SanTan Freeway, although some ramp signs have yet to be installed.

Here are the ones I saw:

• Loop 202 SanTan and Kyrene
  • Loop 202 SanTan and Cooper
  • Loop 202 SanTan and Gilbert Road (ramp signs not yet installed as of 6-17-15)
  • Loop 202 SanTan and Val Vista (ramp signs not yet installed as of 6-17-15)
  • Loop 202 SanTan and Guadalupe

I am pretty sure that most of the exits from SanTan Village to Power also have their logo signs installed by now as well, since the posts for them went up two weeks ago.  Exceptions include the Hawes, SR 24, and Elliot exits, likely due to lack of spacing (plus lack of services at the Hawes exit).

Also, the missing mainline Food signs have been installed at the Arizona exit.

Post Merge: August 07, 2016, 01:17:48 PM

UPDATE - June/July 2015

Here is a list of exits that have gotten new logo signs installed in the past two months:

• Loop 101 Pima and Raintree Drive
  • Loop 202 SanTan and Kyrene Road
  • Loop 202 SanTan and Cooper Road
  • Loop 202 SanTan and Gilbert Road
  • Loop 202 SanTan and Val Vista Drive
  • Loop 202 SanTan and SanTan Village Parkway
  • Loop 202 SanTan and Williams Field Road
  • Loop 202 SanTan and Higley Road
  • Loop 202 SanTan and Power Road
  • Loop 202 SanTan and Guadalupe Road
  • SR 51 and McDowell Road
  • SR 51 and Thomas Road
  • SR 51 and Indian School Road (southbound only)
  • SR 51 and Highland Avenue (northbound only)
  • SR 51 and Colter Street (southbound only)
  • SR 51 and Northern Avenue
  • SR 51 and Union Hills Drive

Also, I think the engineering studies for US 60 are currently ongoing and installation should begin this fall.

Post Merge: August 07, 2016, 01:17:46 PM

I decided to email GCSLS for some clarification on a few things, and here are some updates that I got:

• Installation of logo signs on the US 60 Superstition Freeway (west of Loop 202) is supposed to begin late this month.  Sales have just been completed.
  • I-10 in Goodyear, as well as US 60 east of Loop 202 in east Mesa and Apache Junction, will be migrated from the rural program to the urban program.
  • At first, I incorrectly assumed that SR 143 will not be getting logo signs due to tight exit spacing.  However, this is not the case, as GCSLS has just completed the engineering study for their installation on SR 143.

Considering that SR 143 will be getting logo signs, I wonder if I-10 from 35th Avenue to Baseline Road will also be getting them soon.  Perhaps GCSLS was focusing on the more suburban areas first before moving into the inner city.  I remember reading that the below grade portion of I-17 south of Dunlap will not be getting logo signs due to lack of shoulder room.

BTW, the engineering study for their installation Loop 303 won't be until 2018.  I assume that they are waiting for construction to finish and to install logo signs on Tucson area freeways before starting on 303.

Post Merge: August 07, 2016, 01:17:42 PM

I think that installation of logo signs on the US 60 Superstition Freeway just might be getting started now, since I just saw two pairs of holes dug at two different exit gore areas on the Tempe portion of the freeway, presumably for the mounting posts.  I will edit this post with some updates soon.

Post Merge: August 07, 2016, 01:17:57 PM

Another update, still no logo signs on the US 60 Superstition Freeway west of Loop 202 yet, however, the concrete bases for the logo sign posts have been buried for all exits from Mill Avenue to Power Road.  It looks like we could see logo signs installed very soon.

Post Merge: August 07, 2016, 01:18:00 PM

Update:

As of yesterday, the posts to install the logo signs on the US 60 Superstition Freeway have gone up at most exits from Mill to Power, except for a few in the eastbound direction on the Tempe portion of the freeway, as well as a few ramps.  I think the signs should be installed by the end of this week or early next week before Thanksgiving.

Post Merge: August 07, 2016, 01:18:02 PM

And all of the logo signs on the US 60 Superstition Freeway are officially up (I saw ADOT crews installing one today at the last exit without one at US 60 and Mill westbound), at the following exits:

• US 60 and Mill Avenue
  • US 60 and Rural Road
  • US 60 and McClintock Drive
  • US 60 and Dobson Road
  • US 60 and Alma School Road
  • US 60 and Country Club Drive
  • US 60 and Mesa Drive
  • US 60 and Stapley Drive
  • US 60 and Gilbert Road
  • US 60 and Val Vista Drive
  • US 60 and Greenfield Road
  • US 60 and Higley Road
  • US 60 and Superstition Springs Boulevard (eastbound exit only)
  • US 60 and Power Road

The only exits (other than freeway exits) that I didn't see any were at Priest Drive, Sossaman Road, and Ellsworth Road (although the latter has logo signs in the westbound direction as part of the rural program).

404inthe404

Quote from: Pink Jazz on October 10, 2014, 09:01:42 PM
Quote from: corco on October 10, 2014, 08:40:25 PM
QuoteIMO it should be illegal to be opposed to them.

Holy crap, dude. It's the logo sign Stasi.

The problem is that there is absolutely no valid reason to be opposed to them; they are useful to motorists and a source of revenue for the state that will usually pay itself off.

There is a valid reason, as I mentioned in my post. I don't like them.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: 404inthe404 on August 07, 2016, 03:11:13 AM

There is a valid reason, as I mentioned in my post. I don't like them.

That is surprising, considering you live in Atlanta, which has had logo signs on its freeways for years.  Are you going to protest to GDOT about them?  It is probably far too late to have them removed, since they have been there for years and GDOT is probably unwilling to give up on all the revenue generated from them.  "I don't like them" is NOT a valid reason for them to be removed.

Pink Jazz

Just as an update, it looks like Chandler has approved the installation of trailblazer signs, since I saw one on Gilbert Road off of Loop 202 directing traffic to YC's Mongolian Grill.  So it looks like so far the cities that we know that have approved the installation of trailblazer logo signs on city right-of-way include Phoenix, Avondale, Glendale, and now Chandler, while we know that Scottsdale has rejected them.  No word on Mesa, Gilbert, Tempe, Peoria, Tolleson, or Surprise.

Pink Jazz

Another update, it looks like I-10 in Goodyear is now being transitioned to the urban program in terms of pricing after being part of the rural program for many years, since ADOT did put out a bid for the I-10 and Estrella exit.  This follows the Flagstaff and Yuma areas. 

I think there are also plans to transition the US 60 Superstition Freeway east of Loop 202 in Mesa and Apache Junction to the urban program as well.  I wonder if Casa Grande will also eventually become part of the urban program, considering it now has over 50,000 people per the 2015 Census estimate, since the state's current rules specify that cities with a population over 50,000 should fall under the scope of the urban program.

Pink Jazz

Another update, I can confirm that Casa Grande is being transitioned to the urban logo sign program, since GCSLS just put out a bid for I-10 Exit 194.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.