News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Arizona Loop 303

Started by swbrotha100, March 13, 2013, 09:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

Maybe they should have left the exits unnumbered until they made those decisions.

Henry

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 18, 2015, 04:10:31 PM
Maybe they should have left the exits unnumbered until they made those decisions.
Exactly! And it's not as if this sort of thing has never happened before: The exit numbers and mileposts for I-17 start from 194, due to the fact that it was once part of AZ 69 (and AZ 79 further north).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

andy3175

Short southerly extension of Loop 303 to Van Buren Street to begin construction...

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/southwest-valley/2016/02/12/arizona-department-transportation-interstate-10-loop-303-interchange/79902314/

QuoteThe Arizona Department of Transportation will begin a two-year project to finish the interchange, which will allow drivers in the Southwest Valley to access westbound I-10 from Loop 303 and make it possible for drivers heading west on I-10 to transition onto the southbound Loop 303 and into Goodyear.

To accomplish these connections, the department will extend Loop 303 to south of Van Buren Street, about a mile from its current endpoint. The new stretch of the freeway will attach to the unfinished ramps. ...

Nintzel said this project will have Loop 303 end south of Van Buren Street and allow southbound freeway traffic to continue onto Cotton Lane.

Ultimately, the freeway could be extended further south to connect to the proposed State Route 30, which would connect Perryville Road to 59th Avenue, Nintzel said, though there is no funding for that extension.

Construction map of extension from news article:

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

I have a few questions.

Is the 303 "extension" south of I-10 going to be four lane divided and is the temporary southern terminus at Van Beuren going to be freeway style or an at grade with traffic lights?

Once 303 is rebuilt completely as a freeway from US 60 to Happy Valley, will the next 303 project be finishing the proposed interchanges and giving the I-17 interchange the full flyover freeway style treatment?

blanketcomputer

Quote from: 707 on March 28, 2016, 02:38:40 AM
I have a few questions.

Is the 303 "extension" south of I-10 going to be four lane divided and is the temporary southern terminus at Van Beuren going to be freeway style or an at grade with traffic lights?

Once 303 is rebuilt completely as a freeway from US 60 to Happy Valley, will the next 303 project be finishing the proposed interchanges and giving the I-17 interchange the full flyover freeway style treatment?

The grade separated interchange of Van Buren St is being constructed as part of this current project, but Loop 303 is not going to continue south of Van Buren until a later date. So Van Buren St will have a diamond interchange with Loop 303 with access only to the north for the time being.

The Loop 303 and I-17 interchange is not currently programmed at all by ADOT. There is no funding or plans for the interchange, or even an estimate on when construction might begin. There is also no timeline for completing the grade separation of Loop 303 between Happy Valley Pkwy and I-17, mostly because the area is so undeveloped that most of the cross streets have not been extended anywhere near Loop 303. I personally believe most of these improvements will hinge on an extension of Maricopa County's proposition 400 sales tax in 2024.

Sonic99

Quote from: blanketcomputer on March 29, 2016, 06:49:31 PM
I have a few questions.

The grade separated interchange of Van Buren St is being constructed as part of this current project, but Loop 303 is not going to continue south of Van Buren until a later date. So Van Buren St will have a diamond interchange with Loop 303 with access only to the north for the time being.

The Loop 303 and I-17 interchange is not currently programmed at all by ADOT. There is no funding or plans for the interchange, or even an estimate on when construction might begin. There is also no timeline for completing the grade separation of Loop 303 between Happy Valley Pkwy and I-17, mostly because the area is so undeveloped that most of the cross streets have not been extended anywhere near Loop 303. I personally believe most of these improvements will hinge on an extension of Maricopa County's proposition 400 sales tax in 2024.

The full interchange with 303 and 17 was originally slated for around 2017 or so, but I think with the lack of development out there since the recession in 2008, it just isn't really necessary right now. Maybe 10 years from now, but definitely not now.
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

Quote from: Sonic99 on March 30, 2016, 05:46:38 PM
I have a few questions.

The full interchange with 303 and 17 was originally slated for around 2017 or so, but I think with the lack of development out there since the recession in 2008, it just isn't really necessary right now. Maybe 10 years from now, but definitely not now.

That's a bummer. I guess US 60 and El Mirage mark the end of freeway construction on Loop 303 between I-10 and I-17 for the time being?

Sonic99

Quote from: 707 on March 30, 2016, 06:12:41 PM
Quote from: Sonic99 on March 30, 2016, 05:46:38 PM
I have a few questions.

That's a bummer. I guess US 60 and El Mirage mark the end of freeway construction on Loop 303 between I-10 and I-17 for the time being?

It's still technically grade-separated the entire way up to 17, just all the roads that will eventually need overpasses aren't anywhere close to existing and being needed. But once the El Mirage and Grand Ave interchanges are done, it will be a full freeway from 17 down to 10.
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

Max Rockatansky

Ironically I just picked up one of the reverse white on black 303 signs that was put up in the 90s today.  Hard to think that I remember driving on it when it was just a two-lane road off of I-10 and now it's about two interchange upgrades from a full freeway.  Brings me back on taking Northern to Shea and having to take either Scottsdale or Pima to Tempe.

Apparently, three of the freeway ramps at US 60 were opened today after 11 this morning. The fourth, the exit ramp off southbound 303, should be open by Monday. I'm curious, does anyone have pictures of the 303/US 60 Interchange as of present modifications (Exit 119)?

Sonic99

Quote from: 707 on April 01, 2016, 09:55:17 PM
Apparently, three of the freeway ramps at US 60 were opened today after 11 this morning. The fourth, the exit ramp off southbound 303, should be open by Monday. I'm curious, does anyone have pictures of the 303/US 60 Interchange as of present modifications (Exit 119)?

I'm sure they were trying to get that done today before the closure of Bell Rd at Grand Ave happens tonight.

Quote from: Sonic99 on April 02, 2016, 12:04:56 AM
Quote from: 707 on April 01, 2016, 09:55:17 PM

I'm sure they were trying to get that done today before the closure of Bell Rd at Grand Ave happens tonight.

Even still, they're apparently working on the last ramp and won't open it until Monday morning.

On a related note, I realize the reason they never built the interchange to freeway standards to begin with was because of lack of funding and it was a "scaled back" design, but I'm still shocked that they didn't build the overpass at US 60 to be the entire width it needed to be to adequately transport freeway southbound lanes to begin with. Now, because said span was too narrow, they're demolishing big parts of the future southbound span and are pretty much rebuilding it. Or at least that's what the local news websites in the Surprise/Glendale/Goodyear section of Metro Phoenix are reporting. Wouldn't having to go through the reconstruction part of the southbound span, plus the construction costs of the original bridge several months earlier waste time and money than what using the limited funding to just to build a bigger bridge would have months earlier?

Has anyone captured photos of the US 60 interchange as of how it looks since the ramp openings?

swbrotha100

From going by there a few times, I don't think the original bridge was demolished completely. It looks like ADOT just built a new bridge over Grand Ave next to the existing bridge, and repainted it. Some older construction photos are here:

http://azdot.gov/projects/phoenix-metro-area/loop-303-north-of-i-10/photos

pumpkineater2

I drove through there today, and a lot has changed since I was last there in January. First of all, the northbound concrete leading up to the US-60 interchange has been constructed, onto which all loop 303 traffic has been routed. The section between El Mirage road and US 60 has pretty much stayed the same; roadway fully constructed and paved with rubberized asphalt and restricted to one lane in each direction. The bridge over El Mirage looks very close to being complete, and I wouldn't be surprised if through traffic is shifted onto the overpass soon. North of there, the southbound lanes of 303 are being paved with rubberized asphalt and I even saw some striping being done.

On a side note, it was fiercely windy out there today. Crosswinds blew by truck around, and when it was a head wind, it bent my mirror in and I had to reach out the window and push it back several times. I just washed it this morning, but at some point during the drive I drove through a swarm of bugs at 66 mph. :-D
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

swbrotha100

Thru traffic on Loop 303 is now using the El Mirage Rd overpass instead of the entrance/exit ramps, with one lane in each direction. The temporary signal was removed on the NB (EB) ramps.

Quote from: swbrotha100 on April 20, 2016, 03:36:21 PM
Thru traffic on Loop 303 is now using the El Mirage Rd overpass instead of the entrance/exit ramps, with one lane in each direction. The temporary signal was removed on the NB (EB) ramps.

So the ramps are closed? Is there an article about this? Also, any word on when the ramps will be reopened?

swbrotha100

Quote from: 707 on April 20, 2016, 06:17:02 PM

So the ramps are closed? Is there an article about this? Also, any word on when the ramps will be reopened?

The ramps are open. There's still a lot of construction going on in the area. There may still be some ramp closures from Fri night(s) to Mon morning(s) for a couple weeks. Also the permanent median is being constructed.

Quote from: swbrotha100 on April 20, 2016, 11:35:04 PM

The ramps are open. There's still a lot of construction going on in the area. There may still be some ramp closures from Fri night(s) to Mon morning(s) for a couple weeks. Also the permanent median is being constructed.

How about the Grand Avenue interchange? Are the southbound lanes open?

swbrotha100

Quote from: 707 on April 21, 2016, 12:53:48 AM

For now, the SB side is open for traffic entering from Grand Ave. Thru traffic coming from El Mirage Rd is still laneshifted to the NB lanes. All he SB traffic merges at the south end of this project.

Quote from: swbrotha100 on April 21, 2016, 01:12:43 PM
Quote from: 707 on April 21, 2016, 12:53:48 AM

For now, the SB side is open for traffic entering from Grand Ave. Thru traffic coming from El Mirage Rd is still laneshifted to the NB lanes. All he SB traffic merges at the south end of this project.

That's an odd arrangement, but thank you so much for answering my questions! That'll help me keep OpenStreetMap up to date.

swbrotha100

As of today (5/2) the SB traffic around Grand Ave is now using the future SB lanes. It's still just one lane in each direction from north of Bell to just south of Happy Valley. Still more paving, signage and lighting to be done. For all intensive purposes, Loop 303 is a full freeway now.

Further south, construction is going on from I-10 to south of Van Buren. Ramp construction is most visible on the future WB I-10 to SB 303 (either viewing from I-10 or from McDowell Rd).

Quote from: swbrotha100 on May 03, 2016, 12:03:53 AM
As of today (5/2) the SB traffic around Grand Ave is now using the future SB lanes. It's still just one lane in each direction from north of Bell to just south of Happy Valley. Still more paving, signage and lighting to be done. For all intensive purposes, Loop 303 is a full freeway now.

Further south, construction is going on from I-10 to south of Van Buren. Ramp construction is most visible on the future WB I-10 to SB 303 (either viewing from I-10 or from McDowell Rd).

Thanks for that update! Hopefully by June the construction will be over and the new freeway will be three to six lanes wide in both directions!

Sonic99

Quote from: 707 on May 03, 2016, 02:34:47 AM
Quote from: swbrotha100 on May 03, 2016, 12:03:53 AM

Thanks for that update! Hopefully by June the construction will be over and the new freeway will be three to six lanes wide in both directions!

The 303 is never going to be 6 lanes wide each direction. 2 lanes each way from 17 to Happy Valley, and probably 3 from there south to I-10. But never 6.

The Ghostbuster

Would three lanes in both directions be sufficient for Loop 303 south of Interstate 10?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.