News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 84 Sabine River Bridge Replacement Project

Started by Grzrd, January 14, 2014, 10:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Quote from: mcdonaat on August 07, 2012, 07:51:58 PM
I thought that if anyone has a photo request that they would love to fulfill themselves, but can't due to being away and the item being of an urgent manner or personal request, it could be posted here ...
I have a few of my own that are somewhat urgent: ... US 84 over the Sabine (probably either has US 84 stamped, or State Route 9, along with a date or Sabine River).
Quote from: cenlaroads on August 08, 2012, 07:01:22 PM
Yes, the project will be let in December and probably awarded in January, but it will probably take at least two years to complete the new bridge and approaches.  It will be a little while longer before they demolish the old bridge.
(above quotes from Mid-South Highway Photo Requests thread)

This Jan. 10 article reports that TxDOT and LaDOTD recently celebrated the start of the project:

Today, the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) and Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development (DOTD) celebrated the start of construction on the long-awaited U.S. 84 Sabine River Bridge replacement project. The $20.4 million project will construct a pair of one way, two-lane bridges to replace the current single structure built in 1936. At the event, held at the Dennis Freeman Memorial Park in Logansport, Louisiana, TxDOT and DOTD were joined by state and local elected officials from both states for a ceremonial groundbreaking.
edit
.... James Construction Group, L.L.C. of Baton Rouge, Louisiana is the contractor and started work on the job this week. The project is expected to be completed in the summer of 2016.

The clock is now officially clicking to get pictures of the old bridge.

US71

Quote from: Grzrd on January 14, 2014, 10:19:31 PM
Quote from: mcdonaat on August 07, 2012, 07:51:58 PM
I thought that if anyone has a photo request that they would love to fulfill themselves, but can't due to being away and the item being of an urgent manner or personal request, it could be posted here ...
I have a few of my own that are somewhat urgent: ... US 84 over the Sabine (probably either has US 84 stamped, or State Route 9, along with a date or Sabine River).
Quote from: cenlaroads on August 08, 2012, 07:01:22 PM
Yes, the project will be let in December and probably awarded in January, but it will probably take at least two years to complete the new bridge and approaches.  It will be a little while longer before they demolish the old bridge.
(above quotes from Mid-South Highway Photo Requests thread)

This Jan. 10 article reports that TxDOT and LaDOTD recently celebrated the start of the project:

Today, the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) and Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development (DOTD) celebrated the start of construction on the long-awaited U.S. 84 Sabine River Bridge replacement project. The $20.4 million project will construct a pair of one way, two-lane bridges to replace the current single structure built in 1936. At the event, held at the Dennis Freeman Memorial Park in Logansport, Louisiana, TxDOT and DOTD were joined by state and local elected officials from both states for a ceremonial groundbreaking.

The clock is now officially clicking to get pictures of the old bridge.

I got one back in May, but haven't found time to go back for more.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

mcdonaat

Clock is ticking very quickly! I'll be headed that way in a few days to snap some photos of the old bridge. The Sabine River project is a very needed project that will basically be obsolete once I-69 comes into town. Then again, this could be the first business loop of I-69, or any Interstate, in Louisiana. I could actually see Logansport and Joaquin turning into truck stop meccas - you've got two states which will have weigh stations and Welcome centers, along with the halfway point between Nacogdoches, TX and Shreveport, LA.

Now, how much longer until we can get US 84 four-laned between Logansport and Mansfield, and then onto I-49?

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on June 05, 2013, 01:40:37 PM
This TxDOT I-69 Funding Program map includes $13,886,080 in funding for the US 84 Sabine River Bridge replacement project as part of I-69 Funding Program.  I emailed LaDOTD and asked them if they considered this to be an I-69 project, and, if so, has a corridor been chosen for a Logansport bypass. Louisiana does not consider this project to have anything to do with I-69 and asserts that there are no current plans for a Logansport bypass
(above quote from I-69 in LA (and LA 3132/Shreveport Inner Loop Extension) thread)
Quote from: mcdonaat on January 16, 2014, 05:01:52 PM
I'll be headed that way in a few days to snap some photos of the old bridge .... this could be the first business loop of I-69, or any Interstate, in Louisiana.

This article provides a construction update and has a few photos:

Progress on the $20 million bridge connecting Joaquin and Logansport has gained momentum since the mid-January groundbreaking ....
Logansport Mayor Katherine Freeman ....
Currently, the two-lane 78-year-old bridge serves 12,000 motorists per day.
A joint project between TxDOT and the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development, the plan calls for a new two-lane structure to be built between the existing bridge and the railroad tracks and for a new bridge to replace the current bridge in its footpath, Kevin Buranakitipinyo, TxDOT Area Engineer.
Each of the new bridges will have two 12-foot lanes, a 10-foot outside shoulder and a four-foot inside shoulder. One bridge will have a sidewalk connecting the two towns.
New eastbound lanes will run from approximately County Road 3598 in Texas to LA 5 in Louisiana and will be built between the railroad bridge and existing river bridge.
Subsequently, County Road 3315 in Shelby County was closed permanently Monday, Jan. 13.
In a joint effort, Texas and Louisiana road departments are working to improve transportation and safety on the Highway 84 corridor. Part of that corridor will be converted to I-69.
While I-69 is not expected to go through Logansport, an improved Highway 84 and nearby access to the interstate only means good things for the small town, Freeman said.

Here's one of the photos from the article:

JON30

http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/media-center/local-news/lufkin/005-2016.html

"The existing US 84 bridge will be closed in the coming week as contractors shift traffic to the newly constructed eastbound bridge and plans proceed to demolish and build a new westbound bridge. James Construction Group, contractor for the project, will redirect traffic to the eastbound bridge where it will remain in a two-way traffic pattern until the completion of the newly constructed westbound bridge and approaches.  Once completed, two new bridges will replace the original bridge connecting Texas and Louisiana at the Sabine River. The project is scheduled to be completed in the Fall, weather permitting."

JON30

I came across this video today.  It shows one span completed and the other span partially demolished.  Looks pretty cool from an aerial drone perspective.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqZ80IzB8us

cjk374

Quote from: JON30 on March 04, 2016, 11:14:59 AM
I came across this video today.  It shows one span completed and the other span partially demolished.  Looks pretty cool from an aerial drone perspective.

Now imagine everything with raging flood water happening there. That's what most of us in Louisiana have been dealing with this past week.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

usends

If anyone has photos of the old bridge, can you let me know, or post them here, or provide links?  I'd be interested in using them for a US 84 project.

Also, as an aside: Wiki says the name of this river is pronounced suh-BEEN; is that correct?
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

txstateends

Quote from: usends on March 13, 2016, 02:59:26 PM
Also, as an aside: Wiki says the name of this river is pronounced suh-BEEN; is that correct?

That's the only way I've ever heard it pronounced.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

wxfree

Quote from: usends on March 13, 2016, 02:59:26 PM

That's what I've always called it and the only way I've heard it.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Grzrd

Quote from: cjk374 on March 12, 2016, 03:15:59 PM
Quote from: JON30 on March 04, 2016, 11:14:59 AM
Now imagine everything with raging flood water happening there. That's what most of us in Louisiana have been dealing with this past week.

Now further imagine the waters calming down and Louisiana road enthusiasts seeking new clinches for interstates fished upon.

brownpelican

Is the new westbound bridge gonna be built where the old bridge is?

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Grzrd

This May 8 TV video reports on the celebration of the completion of the westbound bridge:

The completion of the westbound Sabine River Bridge between Joaquin, Texas and Logansport, Louisiana was celebrated Monday.
East Texas News found dignitaries from both sides of the river, as well as from Austin and Baton Rouge.
Twin bridges join two states and two towns on the Interstate 69 corridor. One woman said she hated to see the old bridge come down, but this is so much better.
Each bridge has 12-foot lanes and wide shoulders. There's even a pedestrian walkway. Two mayors want the 12,000 motorists who use it each day to bring commerce to their cities ....
Construction reps said the westbound bridge probably won't open to traffic until the end of the month.

sparker

Since it looks like the twin bridges empty out into downtown areas on either side of the river, this project almost decidedly won't be part of an eventual I-69 -- although that term is used to describe the US 84 routing within this region.  I wonder if funds used for this project were, when the appropriation was made, also described and/or publicized as closely connected to the I-69 corridor concept (I smell a bit of conflation here to get a local-benefit project done!).  It'll be interesting to see just where the future 69 corridor will actually cross the state line -- and if this particular route will somehow be configured to tie more or less directly into the future freeway or will remain a strictly separate entity.

Grzrd

Quote from: sparker on May 18, 2017, 06:38:27 PM
I wonder if funds used for this project were, when the appropriation was made, also described and/or publicized as closely connected to the I-69 corridor concept (I smell a bit of conflation here to get a local-benefit project done!).

The short answer is that TxDOT did and LaDOTD did not (link has been updated - should have gotten a snip!):

Quote from: Grzrd on June 05, 2013, 01:40:37 PM
This TxDOT I-69 Funding Program map includes $13,886,080 in funding for the US 84 Sabine River Bridge replacement project as part of I-69 Funding Program.  I emailed LaDOTD and asked them if they considered this to be an I-69 project, and, if so, has a corridor been chosen for a Logansport bypass. Louisiana does not consider this project to have anything to do with I-69 and asserts that there are no current plans for a Logansport bypass:
The U.S. 84 Bridge project is a  joint effort between DOTD and TxDOT but does not have anything to do with I-69, that we are aware of.  The project is scheduled to go to bid in August of this  year and is estimated to cost between $7.5M-$10M (our cost). 
This project will construct 2 new bridges that will have two lanes going in  eastbound and westbound direction. 
As of now, there is no Logansport bypass.
I cannot imagine I-69 being routed on Main Street

However, Max LeComte, president and CEO of the Coordinating and Development Corporation of Shreveport, spoke at an I-69 meeting in December, 2015 and said that the Logansport bypass would eventually be incorporated into I-69:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=4510.msg2112346#msg2112346

I find it hard to believe.

sparker

Sounds like the right side of the river doesn't know -- or care -- what the left side's doing!  If indeed a Logansport bypass -- which is only a paper concept at present -- will be part of I-69 -- and the new bridges physically won't or can't be part of that same corridor, then WTF was almost $14M drawn from the I-69/TX funding pool for if not for part of the corridor?  Maybe they consider future business loops part of the whole concept -- or they just needed to raid an available funding source for the bridge project: "Uhh......it's for.....something to do with I-69.  Yeah, that's the ticket!"  They should hire Jon Lovitz to narrate their PR flack!  Regardless of how one slices it, this whole thing just doesn't smell right! 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.