News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Skull Railroad Signal

Started by US71, April 24, 2014, 07:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

For those not on Facebook, this has been making the rounds today: it's a skull and crossbones railroad signal that was used in the 1930's near Grenada, Mississppi.

There is also a video re-creation here
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

Here is a snap of the sign prior to removal:

This may be the coolest road related thing I've ever seen in my life.  Oh, to have a time machine.  This would be the first place I would visit.

Zeffy

Why have gates when you have a skull and crossbones above the tracks to warn you of the potential danger with railroad tracks!

I like it though. Shame there aren't any road signs with that skull on it.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

bugo

I should get a tattoo of that skull.  If they had color changing ink I definitely would.

Bobby5280

I think Tim Burton should incorporate a sign like that in his next movie. Sheesh, if I was making movies I would do it.

bugo

If I were a director filming a movie with a large budget, I would build a replica of this sign, regardless of the genre of the film.

hbelkins

Still waiting for Jeremy to advocate something like this being placed at all diverging diamonds -- or "death diamonds," as he likes to call them. :-)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

6a

All that's missing is a wigwag in place of the lights in the middle.

thenetwork

That sign looked just as creepy in it's prime is in it's final days.  I assumed by the video that there was neon accompaniment to the flashing lights, but that "siren" was overkill, I think there would have been several deaths due to heart attack and not train collision!

I have freaked out on more than one occasion when the crossing gates / lights activated when crossing the tracks, and another time when I heard a stopped train blow it's whistle not far from the crossing that I was going over.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.