News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Lake Shasta Water Level

Started by sdmichael, September 09, 2014, 04:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdmichael

I'm not sure if anyone is aware, but now is a good time to visit Lake Shasta. It is now slightly below its 2008 low point of 909' and will only get lower. How much lower remains to be seen. What is likely is at least another 20'. If that does come to pass, most likely by mid October, the Pollock Bridge will be almost entirely emerged from the waters. This would allow travel, for the first time in a long while, on old US 99 from the Bailey Cove inlet to Lakehead, almost all of the former alignment. Only the Pit River Bridge would remain underwater, somewhere near 800-825 feet in elevation.

Alps

How would one get to the old alignment and the Pollock Bridge? It's obviously no use looking at maps, because the lake is on them. Considering I'll be out there in mid-October, this is perfect.

sdmichael

Quote from: Alps on September 10, 2014, 06:20:03 PM
How would one get to the old alignment and the Pollock Bridge? It's obviously no use looking at maps, because the lake is on them. Considering I'll be out there in mid-October, this is perfect.

Easy. Follow the roadway west/south from Lakehead, past the Doney and Charlie Creek Bridges. It will take you there (roadway may be labeled Shore Dr on Google). Check Google Earth, the latest satellite data shows April 2014 and shows the roadway entering the water in a cut. You may also get the chance to walk across a railroad truss bridge and into a tunnel to the west of the Pollock Bridge.

http://socalregion.com/us-99-in-lake-shasta-october-2008/.

Alps

Quote from: sdmichael on September 10, 2014, 06:26:18 PM
Quote from: Alps on September 10, 2014, 06:20:03 PM

Easy. Follow the roadway west/south from Lakehead, past the Doney and Charlie Creek Bridges. It will take you there (roadway may be labeled Shore Dr on Google). Check Google Earth, the latest satellite data shows April 2014 and shows the roadway entering the water in a cut. You may also get the chance to walk across a railroad truss bridge and into a tunnel to the west of the Pollock Bridge.

http://socalregion.com/us-99-in-lake-shasta-october-2008/.
I see Shore Drive now. And now I see Salt Creek Lodge Road. So most of the road between those points is untraversable, but I can still see either end.

sdmichael

Usually, yes. All underwater. Now, all but a few short miles of old US 99, as well as railroad lines, would be uncovered. If you really feel adventurous, as I was last time, bring a wetsuit and swim around. I went hiking in my wetsuit last time I was there so I could get across the Sacramento River and the railroad bridge for photos.

Alps

Quote from: sdmichael on September 10, 2014, 06:34:15 PM
Usually, yes. All underwater. Now, all but a few short miles of old US 99, as well as railroad lines, would be uncovered. If you really feel adventurous, as I was last time, bring a wetsuit and swim around. I went hiking in my wetsuit last time I was there so I could get across the Sacramento River and the railroad bridge for photos.
Won't have the time. Untraversable = it looks like the pavement is gone and water has eroded away channels in the former roadbed, from aerials. I'll go as far as I can on either end.

sdmichael

More than likely, it will be a walk for most of the route.

Alps

Quote from: sdmichael on September 10, 2014, 08:17:00 PM
Again, time. I have some float, but taking an hour to walk some dirt cuts vs. taking an hour with my friend... I choose friend.

sdmichael

Quote from: Alps on September 17, 2014, 05:55:40 PM
Quote from: sdmichael on September 10, 2014, 08:17:00 PM
Again, time. I have some float, but taking an hour to walk some dirt cuts vs. taking an hour with my friend... I choose friend.

Ok... I really don't care if you see any of it. The information presented is meant for all parties interested. You don't need to get defensive nor try to justify your own trip.

roadfro

Quote from: sdmichael on September 17, 2014, 06:26:22 PM
Ok... I really don't care if you see any of it. The information presented is meant for all parties interested. You don't need to get defensive nor try to justify your own trip.

And you need not get defensive or snarky either...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

sdmichael

Next time I just won't bother. The only person that even replied seems to have the attitude of "I don't have time"... so just delete the post.

Alps

Quote from: sdmichael on September 18, 2014, 04:46:06 PM
Next time I just won't bother. The only person that even replied seems to have the attitude of "I don't have time"... so just delete the post.
On the contrary, I was very interested in it, to the point that I convinced my friend to come walk some of it with me. I was not intending to be dismissive - rather, I felt bad that I didn't have a chance to explore its awesomeness. Now I might be able to!

US81

Love the pictures. I'm very unlikely to make it out there, so I really appreciate the link above. Very cool!! Thanks.

gonealookin

A friend was at Lake Shasta at the end of October and took a lot of photos.  Here are some of his Pollock Bridge shots (at reduced size).  Lots of full-size photos and some videos can be found in his post on another site.

sdmichael

Great photos! I had predicted the bridge would be fully exposed. I had no idea how much silt had built up there though. The river used to run underneath, as well as the railroad (north side). It is good to see that someone took photos. It bottomed out right about the end of October at around 895'. The photos on my website were taken around 916'.

DeaconG

I don't think that bridge would look out of place in any current construction project.  Excellent photos!
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Pete from Boston

Quote from: DeaconG on November 06, 2014, 11:35:05 AM
I don't think that bridge would look out of place in any current construction project.  Excellent photos!

I was surprised to see it was from the 30s.

Alps

My photos will be coming somewhat later (end of 2015 if lucky, 2016 otherwise). Water levels are back where they used to be pre-dam, or maybe even lower than that. It's eerie.

6a

My wife is from that general area, she says her parents have memories of riding on that bridge with their parents. Crazy stuff.

ZLoth

Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.