News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Exit 0

Started by Duke87, July 25, 2009, 09:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I haven't seen any Exit 0's in Arizona. All the first AZ based exits on the Interstates entering in from California start at 1.

hbelkins

Quote from: mwb1848 on December 16, 2013, 11:48:29 AM

First time I think I've ever seen a "No Guns" highway sign. On what page in the MUTCD is that?  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 10, 2013, 02:46:35 PM
I find it interesting that the only listed destinations are states rather than cities.  Such practice is now either a No-No or is discouraged in the eyes of MUTCD/FHWA.

I believe this was the interchange where the control cities used to be "Pensacola" and "Pascagoula", which are difficult to tell apart at speed.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

PHLBOS

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 16, 2013, 01:53:03 PM
I find it interesting that the only listed destinations are states rather than cities.  Such practice is now either a No-No or is discouraged in the eyes of MUTCD/FHWA.

I believe this was the interchange where the control cities used to be "Pensacola" and "Pascagoula", which are difficult to tell apart at speed.
Use of those control cities would certainly qualify for Similar Control Cities thread.  :sombrero:

Bear in mind that MUTCD/FHWA & I part ways regarding the restriction/ban on using states as control destinations; I'm just stating what's the accepted practice now.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

JoePCool14

Personnally, I like sequential numbering  better. But, if mileage is used, Exit 0 shouldnot be allowed.

And with the states as control cities: I think its fine, but saying that I 294 goes to Indian only 25 miles from Wisconsin border is dumb.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on December 16, 2013, 01:29:30 PM

First time I think I've ever seen a "No Guns" highway sign. On what page in the MUTCD is that?  :-D

From what I've seen on Street View, those are common near the border in Texas to warn people that guns and ammo are illegal to transport into Mexico.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

lordsutch

I'd rather have an Exit O than an exit numbering system which starts arbitrarily. When TxDOT replaced button copy signage on US 54 in El Paso, they renumbered the exits starting at 20.

20 is not arbitrary; it's based on the TxDOT reference marker system, which is used for distances on all non-Interstates in the state, where theoretical zero is 10 miles west of the westernmost point of the state (and thus about 20 miles west of Exit 20).

Jardine

As DandyDan noticed, Interstate 480 in Council Bluffs Iowa has an exit 0 for 'Riverfront'.  I-480 in Iowa is also really short.

Possibly one of the shortest Interstates in any state, I-480 terminates immediately after exit 0 (not a full interchange, just a westbound on ramp and an east bound exit) at it's junction with I-29.

IIRC, that interchange is schedule next for a rebuild after the I-29/I-80 junction just a country mile south is finished from it's rebuild.

Anyone here gets near it, that interchange is in a dramatic state of completion, massive ramps to nowhere (yet) and bridges arcing part way across the sky.  PCI (famous for the I-680 33 day rebuild), is rebuilding that interchange.

BamaZeus

I may be wrong, but I want to say that I-20/59 at the MS/AL border had an exit 0, but they changed it to exit 1 a few years ago.

mwb1848

Quote from: lordsutch on December 16, 2013, 10:30:45 PM
I'd rather have an Exit O than an exit numbering system which starts arbitrarily. When TxDOT replaced button copy signage on US 54 in El Paso, they renumbered the exits starting at 20.

20 is not arbitrary; it's based on the TxDOT reference marker system, which is used for distances on all non-Interstates in the state, where theoretical zero is 10 miles west of the westernmost point of the state (and thus about 20 miles west of Exit 20).

Thanks for this! That's really fascinating. And would also explain why Spur 601's first exit is 20.
https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!data=!1m8!1m3!1d3!2d-106.424764!3d31.826388!2m2!1f274.24!2f79.86!4f75!2m9!1e1!2m4!1sOJAg6cDjhL4ThQ7Sp7dZpw!2e0!9m1!6sTexas+601+Spur!5m2!1sOJAg6cDjhL4ThQ7Sp7dZpw!2e0&fid=5
It's at US 54... due north of the US 54/Loop 375 interchange.

JMoses24

Something tells me that I-10 West BGS panel may have originally been sized for only 2 arrows but was changed to 3 arrows either just after the BGS was already fabricated and/or erected.

This is in Greendale, IN, at the ramps between US 50 and I-275. Ohio and Kentucky are the only listed destinations on the I-275 signage. If you go to the other side and turn 180 degrees, the signs for US 50 are more traditional, minus the "Ohio" control city for US 50 East.

http://goo.gl/maps/yQpIi

thefro

Quote from: JMoses24 on December 17, 2013, 10:14:08 PM
Something tells me that I-10 West BGS panel may have originally been sized for only 2 arrows but was changed to 3 arrows either just after the BGS was already fabricated and/or erected.

This is in Greendale, IN, at the ramps between US 50 and I-275. Ohio and Kentucky are the only listed destinations on the I-275 signage. If you go to the other side and turn 180 degrees, the signs for US 50 are more traditional, minus the "Ohio" control city for US 50 East.

http://goo.gl/maps/yQpIi

As someone who's used this exit many times, the control "states" here make perfect sense.  It's about the same distance to downtown either way you go (really depends on what side of downtown you're going to).  There's not any noteable cities directly along the I-275 route since they built it so far out from downtown Cincinnati.

I suppose it could say "I-275 NORTH KINGS ISLAND" and "I-275 SOUTH AIRPORT".

hbelkins

Indianapolis/Dayton/Columbus and Lexington/Louisville.

Of course the destinations on I-74 eastbound approaching I-275 are Cincinnati and Kentucky.

And you'll find states listed all over northern Illinois. Indiana and Iowa on I-80 for example.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

PurdueBill

Quote from: JoePCool14 on December 16, 2013, 06:45:14 PM
Personnally, I like sequential numbering  better. But, if mileage is used, Exit 0 shouldnot be allowed.

I feel exactly the opposite about Exit 0; if an exit is at the very end of a route using mileage-based exit numbers, then "Exit 0" states unequivocally that you're at the end of the route and the exit is at  Mile 0.  Using sequential numbering, you would usually count 1, 2, 3, 4 using counting numbers so I could see Exit 1 being the lowest.  But if using mileage-based numbers, at least in my mind, an exit at Mile 0 ought to be Exit 0. 

I-469's southern end is at Exit 0; there follow Exits 1 and 2 in succession.  I think that the Exits 0A and 0B that are posted there do a good job signaling that it's the end of the route.  Ohio practice in a similar situation would vary; sometimes Exit 1 (even if the route defaults onto another with no choice, like I-271's south end) and sometimes no number when there are otherwise numbers (Exits 0A and 0B would be ideal for a couple of the ramps from SR 8 at its end at Akron's Central Interchange, but instead the exit numbers go 6, 5AB, 4, 3AB, 2, 1AB, no numbers.  An ideal place for Exit 0 but ODOT doesn't do that.)

It is sad to see how much button copy has left El Paso since 2001.  Went to three Sun Bowl games there and loved how much button copy there was then, much of it pretty old but in good shape, even a few with classic US shields.  The Clearview replacing it makes me say Gah!

bzakharin

Quote from: PurdueBill on December 19, 2013, 01:37:52 AM

I feel exactly the opposite about Exit 0; if an exit is at the very end of a route using mileage-based exit numbers, then "Exit 0" states unequivocally that you're at the end of the route and the exit is at  Mile 0.  Using sequential numbering, you would usually count 1, 2, 3, 4 using counting numbers so I could see Exit 1 being the lowest.  But if using mileage-based numbers, at least in my mind, an exit at Mile 0 ought to be Exit 0. 

If the road ends, you are not really exiting, are you? And I think the "End ###" signs take care of that anyway. In my mind, the only time there'd be an exit 0 is if the road doesn't end yet and there is an actual exit between mile 0 and 1, but in that case, your rationale doesn't apply. Of course, as a programmer, I'd like to see more exits 0, but I doubt it makes much difference to the general public.

NE2

Quote from: bzakharin on December 19, 2013, 03:57:07 PM
If the road ends, you are not really exiting, are you?
Yes, you are. Just as an outside door at the end of a hallway gets an exit sign.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

pctech

I'm not sure what La. DODT policy on exits numbered zero is, but the Government St. exit on north bound I-110 should fall into the mile 0 to mile 1 zone. (I'm pretty sure anyway, need to check to mile post markers next time i go that way)

Brandon

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 07, 2013, 08:25:59 PM
Quote from: Brandon on December 07, 2013, 12:34:28 AM
ISTHA also seems to like Exit 0.  I-355's south end is marked as Exit 0A for I-80 East and Exit 0B for I-80 West.

Have a picture?

I do now.

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

pctech

Responding to an email inquiry LADODT states that any freeway exit falling between mile 0 and mile 2 is labeled exit 1, 1a,b,etc.
The first several exits on I-110 in Baton Rouge fall into this range, with mile post 0 just past the I-10/110 split.
I would prefer using exit 0 when appropriate.

Bud8Amp88

Did someone ask for an Exit 0 on a sequentially numbered highway?

NS-102 southbound, just before the end of the highway:
http://goo.gl/maps/NPZmd

(Hopefully everyone can see this, despite Google Maps' gradual upgrading...)

And yes, in regards to the other sign, welcome to Halifax, where the first thing we do is point you in the direction of how to get OUT of Halifax...

I'm a roadgeek...and I have the cramps in my neck to prove it...

Brandon

Quote from: Bud8Amp88 on February 26, 2014, 11:02:55 PM
Did someone ask for an Exit 0 on a sequentially numbered highway?

NS-102 southbound, just before the end of the highway:
http://goo.gl/maps/NPZmd

(Hopefully everyone can see this, despite Google Maps' gradual upgrading...)

And yes, in regards to the other sign, welcome to Halifax, where the first thing we do is point you in the direction of how to get OUT of Halifax...

Exit 0 on the Indiana Toll Road was still Exit 0 even when the road was sequential.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

KEK Inc.

And with the states as control cities: I think its fine, but saying that I 294 goes to Indian only 25 miles from Wisconsin border is dumb.

What if the state DOT decides they need to add an exit between Exit 15 and 16?
Take the road less traveled.

Brandon

Quote from: KEK Inc. on February 27, 2014, 07:25:10 PM

What if the state DOT decides they need to add an exit between Exit 15 and 16?

Shhh.  You don't want to activate the Sequential Suicide Squad of the Sequential Jihad.

amroad17

Quote from: Brandon on December 26, 2013, 05:31:37 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 07, 2013, 08:25:59 PM
Quote from: Brandon on December 07, 2013, 12:34:28 AM
ISTHA also seems to like Exit 0.  I-355's south end is marked as Exit 0A for I-80 East and Exit 0B for I-80 West.

Have a picture?

I do now.

Notice that Illinois is using states for control cities instead of Toledo (eastbound) and Des Moines (westbound), which was used at the I-57 interchange until the sign replacement project in the area around 2005 or 2006.  I liked it better with the cities on the signs.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

cjk374

On I-55 coming into Mississippi from Louisiana, the Osyka/Gillsburg exit should qualify to be exit 0...it's only about a 1/2 mile into MS.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.