News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

SB IN 57 detour using future SB I-69 lanes

Started by Revive 755, September 30, 2009, 02:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Based upon the photograph in the article, they are signing the newly opened stretch of freeway as Interstate 69.

rawmustard

Quote from: AARoads on September 30, 2009, 03:15:58 PM
Based upon the photograph in the article, they are signing the newly opened stretch of freeway as Interstate 69.

Possibly, but then the caption doesn't really state where the photo was taken; it just reiterates what was in the story. Considering one of the paper's photographers took it and was not merely a file photo, it certainly is a strong possibility the signs have gone up along the road. (All the signs at the SR 68 interchange except the big green ones were up back in July.)

Alex

Quote from: rawmustard on September 30, 2009, 03:34:15 PM
Quote from: AARoads on September 30, 2009, 03:15:58 PM

Possibly, but then the caption doesn't really state where the photo was taken; it just reiterates what was in the story. Considering one of the paper's photographers took it and was not merely a file photo, it certainly is a strong possibility the signs have gone up along the road. (All the signs at the SR 68 interchange except the big green ones were up back in July.)

Actually if you look at the photo, there is only one lane open to traffic, and the opposite carriageway appears unopened. This agrees with the story.

QuoteAs part of that work, southbound Indiana 57 traffic is being detoured onto westbound Indiana 68 and then onto what is to become I-69. The new pavement then hits I-164.

After rush hour Thursday morning, northbound traffic will join it and follow the same detour in reverse.

Each direction will be limited to a single lane for now.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: AARoads on September 30, 2009, 05:38:12 PM
Actually if you look at the photo, there is only one lane open to traffic, and the opposite carriageway appears unopened. This agrees with the story.

If that's the case, wow.  Just wow! lol.

tdindy88

I just returned from that area and saw where that picture was taken. Along the southbound lanes between SR 68 and I-64, there is one shield for I-69 along with a SR 57 shield, suggesting that the two highways are both signed for that stretch. The BGS along the northbound lanes are marked Exit 22, continuing the numbering from I-164. Finally, there was only one lane open in both the northbound and southbound stretches, but given the current traffic along the highway that probably is enough.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: tdindy88 on October 10, 2009, 11:09:30 PM
I just returned from that area and saw where that picture was taken. Along the southbound lanes between SR 68 and I-64, there is one shield for I-69 along with a SR 57 shield, suggesting that the two highways are both signed for that stretch. The BGS along the northbound lanes are marked Exit 22, continuing the numbering from I-164. Finally, there was only one lane open in both the northbound and southbound stretches, but given the current traffic along the highway that probably is enough.

Have a picture?

tdindy88

Unfortunently no, the trip I took south was impromptu so I forgot to bring a camera. I wasn't expecting to be going around the area where the new highway was but we had some extra time to check it out. I do want to go back south to get some pictures as soon as I can. Sorry I couldn't help.

Revive 755

Found a couple photos of I-69 shields paired with Indiana 57 shields at the bottom of this page:
http://www.buildi69.com/?page_id=19

RoadWarrior56

My dad lives in Evansville.  I will try to take some pictures next time I am up there.

Revive 755

Scott5114

OK, someone has to ask the obvious question–why didn't they renumber I-164 at the same time?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

rawmustard

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 16, 2010, 12:06:47 AM
OK, someone has to ask the obvious question–why didn't they renumber I-164 at the same time?

My best guess is they'll wait to build the bridge over the Ohio before redesignating I-164, especially since an exact location for the bridge hasn't been decided. What's curiouser to me is that they numbered SR 68's exit from I-164's mileage, even though they know it won't match up. And keep in mind there's always the possibility, although ridiculous, that I-164 remains concurrent with I-69.

tdindy88

Quote from: rawmustard on January 16, 2010, 02:16:31 AM
OK, someone has to ask the obvious question—why didn't they renumber I-164 at the same time?

My best guess is they'll wait to build the bridge over the Ohio before redesignating I-164, especially since an exact location for the bridge hasn't been decided. What's curiouser to me is that they numbered SR 68's exit from I-164's mileage, even though they know it won't match up. And keep in mind there's always the possibility, although ridiculous, that I-164 remains concurrent with I-69.

Here's another curiosity: Currently, the SR 68 is designated as Exit 22 on Interstate 69, yet in Anderson in Madison County, the interchange with SR 9 and SR 67 South is also Exit 22. Has that ever happened before, where an interstate highway has the same exit number in opposite ends of the state? This then brings up another question, when does the orginal I-69 have to get renumbered?

TheStranger

Quote from: tdindy88 on January 16, 2010, 11:31:36 AM
Quote from: rawmustard on January 16, 2010, 02:16:31 AM
OK, someone has to ask the obvious question—why didn't they renumber I-164 at the same time?

Here's another curiosity: Currently, the SR 68 is designated as Exit 22 on Interstate 69, yet in Anderson in Madison County, the interchange with SR 9 and SR 67 South is also Exit 22. Has that ever happened before, where an interstate highway has the same exit number in opposite ends of the state? This then brings up another question, when does the orginal I-69 have to get renumbered?

Looking at my atlas, I think I-540 has two sets of numbers from 1-14 in Arkansas!  (One is the original segment to Fort Smith, the other is the newer segment north of I-40.)
Chris Sampang

Revive 755

Quote from: tdindy88 on January 16, 2010, 11:31:36 AMThis then brings up another question, when does the orginal I-69 have to get renumbered?

Probably when when INDOT has the final stretch connecting the existing section to the new section under construction.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: TheStranger on January 16, 2010, 02:14:41 PM
Looking at my atlas, I think I-540 has two sets of numbers from 1-14 in Arkansas!  (One is the original segment to Fort Smith, the other is the newer segment north of I-40.)

Nope.  It doesn't.  The Southern segment is 1-15.  The Northern segment is 20-86.

Quote from: tdindy88 on January 16, 2010, 11:31:36 AM

I would think when the segments get closer to each other that it will happen.  Plus when they get the final mileage for I-69 when they decide where to place the new Ohio River Bridge.

TheStranger

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 16, 2010, 06:43:47 PM
Quote from: TheStranger on January 16, 2010, 02:14:41 PM

Nope.  It doesn't.  The Southern segment is 1-15.  The Northern segment is 20-86.

Didn't the numbers on the southern segment ascend going southbound (as opposed to the northern segment numbers continuing northbound)?  At least that's what RMcN says, but that still can be considered as one set of numbers with no duplicates...
Chris Sampang

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.