AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Interstate 8 Imperial Valley Improvements  (Read 3664 times)

andy3175

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 02:58:36 PM
    • AARoads
Interstate 8 Imperial Valley Improvements
« on: March 04, 2016, 12:05:15 AM »

Several projects are pending in the Imperial Valley to improve I-8:

- I-8 Update Project (between SR 111 and Arizona State Line) began in February 2016 and will end in December 2017 (first of five phases is just outside of Holtville). It will replace 48 miles of mostly original concrete lanes with new Continuously Reinforced Concrete Pavement (CRCP) lanes and shoulders that is expected to last for the next 75 years at a cost of $417.7 million. Link: http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist11/facts/8CRCPavementProject.pdf

- Interchange upgrade at I-8 and Dogwood Road will include traffic signals, wider offramps, wider Dogwood Road, and new overcrossing at a cost of $28.1 million. Construction is underway current and should be completed by October 2016. Link: http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist11/facts/8_Dogwood.pdf

- Interchange upgrade at I-8 and Business Loop 8 (Imperial Avenue) in El Centro will remove existing trumpet interchange with a new diamond/partial cloverleaf style interchange, which would allow extension of Imperial Avenue south of I-8 and increase development potential south of the freeway. This project is slated to cost $40 million and is scheduled to begin construction next year, at the end of 2017 with completion at the end of 2019. Link: http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist11/facts/8_Imperial.pdf
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 12:44:16 AM
    • Gribblenation
Re: Interstate 8 Imperial Valley Improvements
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 11:42:31 PM »

About time poor old I-8 got some attention out there in the desert.  That section from El Centro to Yuma was pretty weathered down and should have been worked on 10 years ago. 

JustDrive

• Last Login: January 19, 2024, 05:04:43 AM
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 06:07:21 AM »

Dogwood should have been widened years ago. I've seen offramp traffic backed up onto the freeway on weekends.

The High Plains Traveler

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 06:16:31 PM
    • Unofficial Minnesota and New Mexico Highway Pages
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 07:07:23 PM »

There is a segment a few hundred yards long east of CA-111 where several strands of the Imperial Fault cross the highway. The pavement through here is asphalt, presumably for easy repair should there be slippage along the fault. I think this segment experiences aseismic creep, as well as displacement during stronger quakes. So, it'll be interesting to see whether this is replaced with concrete.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

ARMOURERERIC

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:30:39 PM
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 07:28:00 PM »

Dogwood is also being upgraded to a Parclo.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.