AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: What happened to Interstate 5W and 5E?  (Read 44985 times)

coatimundi

• Last Login: April 17, 2020, 12:42:35 AM
Re: What happened to Interstate 5W and 5E?
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2016, 06:16:42 PM »

New item somewhat related to this thread...

I was looking at a study for planned HOT lanes on I-80 between Vacaville and Fairfield.  I noticed that there is a plan to realign I-505 and build a new interchange with I-80 between the existing junction and Leisure Town Road.  The existing 505/80 junction would be replaced by a new interchange serving Orange Drive.  I never even knew this was being proposed.  Was anyone else aware of this?

iPhone

No but isn't that pretty much what they're doing at the 80/680 interchange?  IIRC, as part of the I-80/CA-12 interchange improvement project, isn't the I-80/I-680 interchange going to be relocated a bit to the west of the existing one?  While I understand the need for the relocation (to help improve traffic flow between the 3 highways), I don't see any additional benefit to relocating the 80/505 interchange.

Yes, that is the plan for 80 and 680.  Basically 680 will swing to the west and tie in with SR-12.

I don't see the purpose for relocating the 80/505 junction.

I'm not trying to call anyone out, but where did you see this? The documents for the project on the Caltrans site don't mention any extensive work required on the 80/505 interchange. Could it have been a proposal of a realignment that was later scrapped?

Joe (jrouse) works for Caltrans.  I did a quick Google search but turned up nothing.  It's entirely possible he was looking at an study that hasn't been released to the general public yet.

No, I know what that icon means, but all the estimates and EIR docs that are up and available right now have "FINAL" in the title. I saw some stuff about them realigning retaining walls for the ramps at that interchange, but it certainly didn't involve the expense necessary for actually relocating anything. Just trying to get some clarification.

myosh_tino

• Silicon Valley Roadgeek

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 01:25:52 PM
    • Silicon Valley Roads @ Markyville.com
« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2016, 06:56:01 PM »

Whether a full 80/505 interchange relocation is "overkill" may be subject to speculation, but there's little room with which to work for any significant modifications of the present interchange configuration.

And likewise, there is little room between the 505 and Leisure Town Rd interchanges on I-80 for a new 80/505 interchange without significant property acquisition.  To accommodate an interchange in that area, you'd have to buy out the various auto dealerships located on Orange Drive that back up to I-80 (cities are reluctant to shoo-away auto dealerships because they bring in much needed sales tax revenue).  Then there are the two office parks that would have to be dealt with.  One is the big Genentech campus located near the 505/Vaca Valley Pkwy interchange and the other being a smaller complex located on Horse Creek Drive that also backs up to I-505.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

kkt

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:59:29 PM
« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2016, 07:51:39 PM »

If they do relocate the 505-80 interchange, they should relocate it where 505 could continue south of I-80 either as a freeway or as an expressway with ROW to limit access in the future.

Occidental Tourist

• Last Login: January 07, 2024, 03:25:40 AM
« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2016, 10:52:27 PM »

And likewise, there is little room between the 505 and Leisure Town Rd interchanges on I-80 for a new 80/505 interchange without significant property acquisition.

The curve in the new routing of 505 might be too severe, but if you shifted the 80 mainline to the north between the current interchange and Leisure Town Road, and threaded the new 505 approach to the interchange between the Genentech and SCIF campuses, you could pull off a realignment without taking any occupied land north or south of 80.

NE2

• fuck

• Last Login: March 11, 2024, 12:16:05 AM
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

coatimundi

« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2016, 12:31:30 AM »

Plans for I-680 relocation: http://www.sta.ca.gov/docManager/1000005572/Attach%20B%20-%20I80-I680-SR12%20Construction%20Packages%201-7.pdf

There's no similar map for I-505, and http://www.sta.ca.gov/docManager/1000005574/Attach%20D%20-%20I-80%20DPR%20Plan%20Sheet%20Attachments_HDR_2015-06-16-FINAL.pdf shows it staying the same.

I should emphasize the domain name on both of those links: STA.
I don't believe Caltrans has much, if any, involvement in the HOT lane project. MTC runs the other HOT or "express" (as they insist on calling them) lanes in the Bay Area, and they're the ones working with STA on this new project. Meanwhile, Caltrans is partnering with MTC and STA for the 80/680/12 interchange project, which includes the realignment.

I'm going to go ahead and say that this deserves its own thread. You could combine the HOT lane and interchange projects into one, but it definitely needs to get off of a thread discussing former I-5 routings.

compdude787

• Last Login: March 05, 2024, 09:47:57 PM
« Reply #106 on: October 06, 2016, 06:00:41 PM »

I'm going to go ahead and say that this deserves its own thread. You could combine the HOT lane and interchange projects into one, but it definitely needs to get off of a thread discussing former I-5 routings.

Agreed!

Those are interesting plans. It really makes sense that I-680 and CA-12 are going to be combined into one interchange with I-80.

jrouse

• Last Login: March 11, 2024, 08:42:28 PM
« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2016, 12:34:11 PM »

The figures that I saw came from a 2012 project study report on the I-80 express lanes.  I found it on an internal Caltrans website so I can't provide a link to it.  However, I have attached the schematics for you.  The figures also showed realignment and reconstruction of numerous interchanges in Vacaville.  I don't know if those were all going to be done as part of a separate project or if they were going to be part of the express lane project.  The drawings do not show where the new alignment of I-505 would have tied in with the old.  I could not find any other information on the realignment, so I assume it was just an early conceptual proposal that never moved forward.  It was interesting to see what they wanted to do though. 

As for the express lanes themselves, MTC/BATA has the legal authority to develop and operate the lanes.  They have arranged for STA to handle the development of this particular facility (probably in exchange for a portion of the toll revenues).  Caltrans will not operate the lanes but they are still part of the state highway system and as the owner/operator of the highway, Caltrans does and will continue to play a major role in their design and their operation.  This is how most, if not all express lanes do and will operate in California.

Here are the images of the proposed changes to the 505/80 interchange.
https://flic.kr/p/MU38sS - showing beginning of new Orange Drive I/C
https://flic.kr/p/M7xVMe - showing the Orange Drive I/C
https://flic.kr/p/N5dKnk - showing the western half of the new 505/80 I/C
https://flic.kr/p/MU3mWA - showing the eastern half of the new 505/80 I/C

myosh_tino

• Silicon Valley Roadgeek

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 01:25:52 PM
    • Silicon Valley Roads @ Markyville.com
« Reply #108 on: October 10, 2016, 05:48:42 PM »

The figures that I saw came from a 2012 project study report on the I-80 express lanes.  I found it on an internal Caltrans website so I can't provide a link to it.  However, I have attached the schematics for you.  The figures also showed realignment and reconstruction of numerous interchanges in Vacaville.  I don't know if those were all going to be done as part of a separate project or if they were going to be part of the express lane project.  The drawings do not show where the new alignment of I-505 would have tied in with the old.  I could not find any other information on the realignment, so I assume it was just an early conceptual proposal that never moved forward.  It was interesting to see what they wanted to do though. 

Here are the images of the proposed changes to the 505/80 interchange.
https://flic.kr/p/MU38sS - showing beginning of new Orange Drive I/C
https://flic.kr/p/M7xVMe - showing the Orange Drive I/C
https://flic.kr/p/N5dKnk - showing the western half of the new 505/80 I/C
https://flic.kr/p/MU3mWA - showing the eastern half of the new 505/80 I/C

Interesting.

To pull off this project would require significant ROW acquisition.  If this proposal were to come to fruition, the impacts would be quite significant...

* Vacaville Outlets would lose the northern tip of their center including the Nike, Kay Jeweler and Timberland outlets
* The 50+ year old Black Oak restaurant and the Buick/GMC dealership would close to make way for a realigned Orange Dr.
* Lowes on the northside of I-80 would have to close to make way for a realigned Monte Vista Ave.
* All businesses located on Orange Dr between Orange Tree Cir and the Dodge/Chrysler dealership that butt up against I-80 would ultimately end up having to be closed and torn down to make way for a new 80/505 interchange.  This would include the Orange Tree Plaza and the Chevy, Hyundai and Nissan dealerships.  The Orange Tree Plaza would definitely need to be demolished because all of the buildings sit in the middle of the new ROW.  The auto dealerships have buildings that are way too close to the new ROW so they would need to be torn down and relocated to another part of their parcel.

If this project was killed off, I wouldn't be surprised if the city of Vacaville had a say in its demise.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 05:54:37 PM by myosh_tino »
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

coatimundi

« Reply #109 on: October 10, 2016, 11:35:18 PM »

First, I need to correct myself:

With 5W in California, I wonder if it was just something that was put on paper to placate Bay Area interests, but no one ever bothered to really properly sign it, and it was then mostly forgotten. Then, when the sweep-up of suffixes occurred, it was just removed.

I-5W was signed, though.

I don't think that it was ever actually signed as "Temp I-5".

Oh, but it was. I thought I had seen a "Temp I-5" shield on pre-freeway SR 113 on one of my 70's atlases, and I found it a few nights ago, on the '73 Rand McNally. There's also one on SR 99, right around Lodi.
Then I find this nice page that I had never seen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporary_Interstate_Highways

Second point: I've attempted to relocate the I-80 Express Lanes discussion to its own thread. Feel free to repost anything there, if you feel so inclined.
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=18998.0

sparker

• Last Login: April 30, 2023, 05:42:25 PM
« Reply #110 on: October 11, 2016, 02:59:04 AM »

First, I need to correct myself:

With 5W in California, I wonder if it was just something that was put on paper to placate Bay Area interests, but no one ever bothered to really properly sign it, and it was then mostly forgotten. Then, when the sweep-up of suffixes occurred, it was just removed.

I-5W was signed, though.

I don't think that it was ever actually signed as "Temp I-5".

Oh, but it was. I thought I had seen a "Temp I-5" shield on pre-freeway SR 113 on one of my 70's atlases, and I found it a few nights ago, on the '73 Rand McNally. There's also one on SR 99, right around Lodi.
Then I find this nice page that I had never seen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporary_Interstate_Highways

Second point: I've attempted to relocate the I-80 Express Lanes discussion to its own thread. Feel free to repost anything there, if you feel so inclined.
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=18998.0

Indeed, Temporary I-5 was signed, from 1972 to about 1976, from the present Charter Way (CA 4 WB) interchange in Stockton, east along CA 4 to CA 26 (old US 50), on CA 26 east to CA 99, then north on CA 99 north to I-80 (now Business 80/US 50) at the Oak Park interchange in Sacramento.  From there it was signed west on I-80 to CA 113, then north on CA 113 to CA 16, which at that time remained on its original E-W route through downtown Woodland.  It turned west on CA 16 to the old US 99W alignment northward to the present I-5 alignment (this currently is the eastern end of the western segment of CA 16), where it veered northwest along old US 99W, which was gradually being supplanted by I-5.  The reason why Temporary I-5 was not routed from Sacramento to Woodland along CA 16, the most direct route and the one closest to the nascent I-5 alignment was the same as that of the original US 99W:  CA 16 traversed the Yolo Bypass flood-control facility at ground level and was inundated during heavy rains, when the weirs along the Sacramento River were opened to avoid overflow in Sacramento.  I-80, and US 40/99W before it, crossed the Bypass on a bridge structure, so it remained open even when the bypass was flooded.  After 1976, when the I-5 bridge over the Bypass opened, completing that route north of Sacramento, the temporary section was truncated back to the (then) I-5/80 interchange in Sacramento, using CA 99 via Lodi until I-5 was opened between Stockton and Sacramento in 1981. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 04:46:33 PM by sparker »

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.