News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Defunct restaurant chains and retailers

Started by Stephane Dumas, September 05, 2016, 03:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: JJBers on July 04, 2017, 11:04:47 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 04, 2017, 10:16:37 PM
Quote from: SP Cook on July 04, 2017, 03:37:40 PM
Quote from: DJStephens on July 04, 2017, 03:21:15 PM
Diary Queen.

Far from defunct.  Belongs to that POS Warren Buffett.  According to its website, it has over 6000 outlets in 20 countries. 

Trivia.  Unlike most franchises, whatever DQ had when a particular franchisee bought in is all he has the rights to.  Anything new has to be bought.  There are some old time franchisees who bought only the ice cream and either have their own food (which they must put in generic wrappers) or just the ice cream.  The state of Texas was sold all at once and has its own food and its own website different from the rest of the USA.  Also each restaurant can make its own soda deal, and DQ corporate produces menu boards and stock photos with both Coke and the imitator.

I've been by that old-timey one on US 50 near Grafton. Wonder what it has on the menu?
Ice cream, Blizzards, Sundaes , and at least a BBQ Pork Sandwich or Hot Dogs.
It really varies by location, but those are the most common items.
And I have another oldish (late-60's-early 70's) location in Willimantic on CT 66.

Many of the older Dairy Queens in my area are seasonal stands that are open from March to October.  Dairy Queen opening for the season was one of the first rites of Spring.  There are a couple of newer year round ones, including one with the Grill n Chill concept.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

JJBers

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 04, 2017, 11:15:12 PM
Diary Queen.

Far from defunct.  Belongs to that POS Warren Buffett.  According to its website, it has over 6000 outlets in 20 countries. 

Trivia.  Unlike most franchises, whatever DQ had when a particular franchisee bought in is all he has the rights to.  Anything new has to be bought.  There are some old time franchisees who bought only the ice cream and either have their own food (which they must put in generic wrappers) or just the ice cream.  The state of Texas was sold all at once and has its own food and its own website different from the rest of the USA.  Also each restaurant can make its own soda deal, and DQ corporate produces menu boards and stock photos with both Coke and the imitator.

I've been by that old-timey one on US 50 near Grafton. Wonder what it has on the menu?
And I have another oldish (late-60's-early 70's) location in Willimantic on CT 66.

Many of the older Dairy Queens in my area are seasonal stands that are open from March to October.  Dairy Queen opening for the season was one of the first rites of Spring.  There are a couple of newer year round ones, including one with the Grill n Chill concept.
Same in Willimantic, expect mine opens on April 1 and closes on November 1
I went to one in Southington area that was a late 50's style DQ with the old logo on it
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

inkyatari

Quote from: slorydn1 on July 04, 2017, 01:11:21 AM
Quote from: JJBers on July 03, 2017, 10:07:57 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on July 03, 2017, 09:12:10 PM
The Rite-Aids here used to be K & B Drugstores when I was a kid. The one near me in Ruston was in an older strip mall in the 80s & 90s. They built their own place in the mid to late 90s, then the strip mall was destroyed 10 years later.

It was only a few years later that Wal-Greens built their new location right across the street from Rite-Aid.

What keeps both places going? The "hospital" (I use quotes because we all call that place "the place you go to try to die") is nearby.
The Walgreen's in my town is a stones-throw away from the local hospital

Same here. Walgreens is directly across the street from the hospital.

Now a great deal of Walgreens are taking over the pharmacies inside hospitals.  That seems to be where most of the expansion happens these days.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

SP Cook

If your many travels take you near, the WV DQ that I recommend is in Hinton.  The food is better than standard DQ, but the important detail is that it is located just along the New River right where the Greenbrier River joins, the back wall of the place is all glass and overlooks the river.  Very scenic.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: JJBers on July 04, 2017, 11:19:06 PM
Diary Queen.

I went to one in Southington area that was a late 50's style DQ with the old logo on it

Probably the one in Plainville or Kensington (most likely Plainville since Kensington is a little more modern since it has a drive thru).  Southington (Milldale) is open year round.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

bing101

Wow well I remember Longs Drugs used to exist a decade ago in the San Francisco area and the Sacramento area too and the Northern California Stores became CVS Pharmacy.

However when I went to Hawaii a few years later in 2011 I noticed that Somehow CVS Pharmacy manage to keep the Longs Pharmacy name for their Hawaii stores.

JJBers

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 05, 2017, 10:44:00 AM
Quote from: JJBers on July 04, 2017, 11:19:06 PM
Diary Queen.

Probably the one in Plainville or Kensington (most likely Plainville since Kensington is a little more modern since it has a drive thru).  Southington (Milldale) is open year round.
Yep, it was Plainville, I completely forgot...
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

hbelkins

Quote from: SP Cook on July 05, 2017, 10:27:53 AM

If your many travels take you near, the WV DQ that I recommend is in Hinton.  The food is better than standard DQ, but the important detail is that it is located just along the New River right where the Greenbrier River joins, the back wall of the place is all glass and overlooks the river.  Very scenic.

I was in Hinton back in the winter. Probably won't be back that way for a while, unfortunately.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

There was one chain in Florida that seemed to die down to one just like the one I mentioned in VA, but this one is the Clock Restaurant which was all over Central Florida and now has one location left in Auburndale on US 92.

Wags,,  is another I ate at in Key West that had stores throughout South Florida, but now is defunct.

I do not know if its been mentioned but the old Howard Johnson restaurants in addition to their once big hotel chain.  They were the originators of coffee shops and were around long before Denny's hit the scene.  Too bad the managers could not run that place right, as they had a very good thing going.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

inkyatari

Quote from: roadman65 on July 05, 2017, 08:56:47 PM
Wags,,  is another I ate at in Key West that had stores throughout South Florida, but now is defunct.

Wag's were in every market that had Walgreen's stores. Walgreens got rid of Wag's and the snack bars in their stores to focus on their core business, drugstores.  That was a shame, as they were pretty good restaurants.

Trivia...

IN the 60's, Walgreen's experimented with  fast food outlets by creating a restaurant in Alabama (I think.) called "Corky's."  Corky was the nickname of Charles Walgreen.

In the 30's, at the Chicago "Century of Progress" World's Fair, Walgreen's had the world's largest soda fountain, and it was here they invented the chocolate malt.

bing101

bing101

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/national/ct-alfred-angelo-closing-stores-20170714-story.html. Update a wedding store is closed and the store Alfred Angelo is dealing with angry customers over recent wedding gown purchases.

JJBers

Quote from: bing101 on July 14, 2017, 09:03:22 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/national/ct-alfred-angelo-closing-stores-20170714-story.html. Update a wedding store is closed and the store For some reason the app crashes wherever I have no connection...is dealing with angry customers over recent wedding gown purchases.
There's now a massive drama over the Manchester, Connecticut location
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

bing101

Quote from: JJBers on July 14, 2017, 09:07:07 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/national/ct-alfred-angelo-closing-stores-20170714-story.html. Update a wedding store is closed and the store For some reason the app crashes wherever I have no connection...is dealing with angry customers over recent wedding gown purchases.

https://patch.com/connecticut/manchester/angry-brides-bridesmaids-left-banging-doors-bridal-shop-closes. Yes and here's the reaction from Manchester, Connecticut.

bing101

formulanone

Quote from: bing101 on July 14, 2017, 11:13:40 PM
Quote from: JJBers on July 14, 2017, 09:07:07 PM

https://patch.com/connecticut/manchester/angry-brides-bridesmaids-left-banging-doors-bridal-shop-closes. Yes and here's the reaction from Manchester, Connecticut.

Yeah, that sucks.

I'm sure people left significant chunks of change down in exchange for dresses and other such arrangements, and they're getting nothing in return with a wedding date looming.

Quote from: bing101 on July 15, 2017, 08:39:54 AM
http://www.lasvegasnow.com/news/business/gymboree-to-close-350-stores/763796196. Gymboree to close 350 stores.

Good-quality kids (ages 0-6) clothes, but a bit on the pricey side. Their stuff has pretty good used resale value, we've found.

They'll probably keep their online presence.

TravelingBethelite

Diary Queen.

Online research has been no avail when it comes it to my most pressing question regarding DQ. What IS the difference between Dairy Queen Brazier and Dairy Queen Grill 'n' Chill (as well as, possibly, other kinds)? (Before you lecture me, yes I know the Brazier is the kind of oven they used - or used to use, at least.  :rolleyes:)
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

spooky

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on August 02, 2017, 08:52:25 AM
Diary Queen.

Online research has been no avail when it comes it to my most pressing question regarding DQ. What IS the difference between Dairy Queen Brazier and Dairy Queen Grill 'n' Chill (as well as, possibly, other kinds)? (Before you lecture me, yes I know the Brazier is the kind of oven they used - or used to use, at least.  :rolleyes:)

QuoteToday there are several different Dairy Queen brands, but they all carry soft serve topped off with that signature curl, which is actually trademarked by the company. "Standard stores"  sell mostly frozen treats and are only open in the spring and summer (although some food court locations are open year-round); "Treat Centers"  are primarily found in food courts and sell frozen treats along with Orange Julius; "Dairy Queen Braziers"  serve a fast-food menu of burgers, fries, hot dogs, salads, and chicken strips (The term "brazier"  has been phased out over the past 20 years, though); and "DQ Grill & Chill"  locations offer limited table service, a modern design, and, in most cases, an expanded menu that includes breakfast. In Texas, you can get a different menu of "Texas Country Foods"  with items like the Triple Buster (three patties), the Dude (a chicken-fried steak sandwich), Jalitos (fried jalapeño strips), and beef tacos.

thenetwork

Quote from: spooky on August 02, 2017, 09:27:05 AM
"Dairy Queen Braziers"  serve a fast-food menu of burgers, fries, hot dogs, salads, and chicken strips (The term "brazier"  has been phased out over the past 20 years, though); and "DQ Grill & Chill"  locations offer limited table service, a modern design, and, in most cases, an expanded menu that includes breakfast.

I had two in my area that did a sign update from Dairy Queen Brazier to DQ Grill & Chill.  I saw little, if any, major remodeling at either location with maybe the exception of menu signage.  There still is one Dairy Queen Brazier that has the old signage, Probably because it closes from Early-November to Mid/Late-February.

inkyatari

sparker

Used to be a chain of burger restaurants -- I'd hesitate to call them "fast food" -- in greater L.A. called Woody's Smorgasburger.  Good beef, char-broiled (IIRC, 3 sizes of patties available -- 1/4, 1/3, and 1/2 lb.) to order, with all add-ons available at a series of stations -- you assembled your burger, all but the meat (and cheese, if ordered that way) obtained in chilled stations similar to a buffet restaurant.  They seemed to stock every type of condiment available, from popular BBQ sauces (lots of Chris & Pitt's, a L.A. standard) to a selection of Beaver mustards from Oregon.  Decent potato/mac salad, green salad -- the usual burger-bar options.  But it all came together.  Discovered them while in college in the late '60's, and continued going to them whenever I was in the area until the last one shut down several years back.  Several of them were arrayed along Sepulveda Blvd. (the original CA 7 and Alternate US 101); later the parallel surface street to the northern part of I-405 from Redondo Beach north to Sherman Oaks; there were also outlets in Long Beach, downtown L.A. (at Figueroa and Adams, right by USC -- great location for a burger joint), and in Pasadena as well, near the city college.  When I moved back to L.A. in early '96, the only one remaining was the one in El Segundo, on Sepulveda a few blocks south of I-105.  It lasted a few years; was gone by spring 2001. 

We've got a couple of independent burger places like that up here in the South Bay (Clarke's in Mountain View and Kirk's in Campbell), but unfortunately their prices are so high as to be a "special occasion" meal (if you can get out for $35 for two, you're lucky!).     

CapeCodder

From living in St. Louis for 16 years:

-Service Merchandise: Never went in there with my mom, but I have heard that it wasn't the best dep. store.
-Franks Nursery and Crafts: Was your average nursery store. Towards the end their service slumped.
-Venture: The black and white color scheme was distinctive. Their products weren't great. K-Mart bought them out.
-Grandpas: Your typical department store. I remember when they went bankrupt. Was a st. Louis thing. Some were bought by Value City from what I recall.
-Levitz Furniture: Pretty cheap stuff.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: CapeCodder on August 05, 2017, 09:40:26 AM
From living in St. Louis for 16 years:

-Service Merchandise: Never went in there with my mom, but I have heard that it wasn't the best dep. store.

Although you would hear them on Wheel of Fortune or whatever for many years, I never knew it was an actual store until I happened to see one in Delaware!  It was pretty much like a BEST department store (if you remember those, which is also a defunct retailer).

-Levitz Furniture: Pretty cheap stuff.

I furnished a lot of my house in 2001 with a multi-room deal from Levitz.  Fairly cheap, but wasn't bad.  We actually still have an end table that's now used as an outside table since we don't care about it anymore.  The other stuff we replaced over the years, although it was all still in decent shape.  Actually, I still have the file in my file draw, and just saw our mattress we still have we got from there too.

jp the roadgeek

The concept of Service Merchandise is that it was a catalog showroom.  There was one in Bishop's Corner in West Hartford, CT that I went to a few times as a kid.  The merchandise would be displayed in glass showcases a la a jewelry store, and when you wanted something, you would take a ticket for that item and give it to one of the associates who would go in the backroom and get you that item.   A competitor called Consumers opened in my town in what was a closed down Chuck E Cheese (from the first wave of their popularity), but it only lasted a year or two before closing.  Lechmere also practiced this method before they closed down.

I remember Levitz as well.  We had one in my town that was in a huge warehouse. You would actually pass through the warehouse to get to the showroom.  My older child furniture set was from Levitz.  Quality was pretty good; had much of it still when I moved out of my childhood home.  Both Levitz locations that we had in the area are another furniture chain called Pilgrim Furniture City.

We also had a Frank's in my town.  It is now an Agway.

Another store that I just remembered that we had was Card Gallery.  It was kind of an early form of Party City only with some higher end gifts.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.