I'm doing a roadtrip to SoCal in a few days and am planning to really give it a bit of a roadgeek angle, and am wondering...
Here's what I know so far as the surface street route of 101 going southwards to Anaheim (as there will be a Disneyland visit within the weekend). Are there any spots I've missed here?
Starting in SF...
- Van Ness Avenue south to the Civic Center area
- Original routing until mid-1930s: Market Street, Valencia Street, then Mission Street south to Daly City
- 1930-1964 routing: One-way pair of Fell Street/10th Street and Hayes Street/9th Street southeast to Potrero Avenue, Potrero Avenue south to Army (Cesar Chavez) Street, Bayshore Boulevard from there south to Alemany Boulevard, Alemany Boulevard southwest to San Jose Avenue, San Jose Avenue (including current Route 82) south to Daly City
- In Daly City south to San Jose, Route 82, with two exceptions:
1. Mission Road in Colma/South San Francisco as the route before the mid-1930s
2. In San Jose, instead of the right turn to Montgomery Street at San Jose Arena, US 101 southbound continued northeast along West Santa Clara Street, then picked up Market Street southbound there
- Past the end of Route 82, Monterey Road/Business US 101 south through Coyote, Morgan Hill, San Martin, and Gilroy back to US 101. Not sure if Monterey Street between that US 101 interchange and Bolsa Road (old Route 25?) is part of the old alignment, or new frontage road.
- Short segment of Old Monterey Road south of Gilroy (as shown on Google Maps)
- According to a recent update on CAHighways, http://cahighways.org/097-104.html#101
- San Juan Grade Road in San Juan Bautista may be part of the very earliest alignment of 101
- US 101 between south of Gilroy, through Prunedale, to Espinosa Road in north Salinas probably is still the original alignment
- Main Street from Russell Road/Espinosa Road south through Salinas to downtown, then the one-way pair of Salinas and Monterey Streets to Route 68
- Route 68 in Salinas from Monterey Street east to Abbott Street
- Abbott Street (Business US 101) south out of town back to US 101
- Alta Street in Gonzales (a business route?) from US 101 Exit 312 to US 101 Exit 310
- Front Street (Business US 101) in Soledad from US 101 Exit 303 to US 101 Exit 302
- El Camino Real in Greenfield from US 101 Exit 295 south back to US 101
- Broadway northeast from US 101 Exit 282A and 1st Street southeast in King City to US 101 Exit 281
- Cattlemen Road southeast from US 101 Exit 278 through San Lucas to US 101 at Exit 263 (old alignment still visible at the exit)
- Bradley Road between US 101 Exit 251 and Exit 245
- Mission Street in San Miguel between US 101 Exit 241A and Exit 239B
- Spring Street (Business US 101) in Paso Robles from US 101 Exit 232 south back to US 101/Route 46 south of town
- Main Street in Templeton from US 101 Exit 226 south to Exit 224 (Main Street south of Vineyard Road deadends)
- El Camino Real from San Ramon Road exit southeast through Atascadero, to Route 58 in Santa Margarita
- Route 58 in Santa Margarita west back to US 101 Exit 211
- two old alignments of US 101, according to Google Maps, in the Los Padres National Forest
- Monterey Street southwest from US 101 Exit 204 in San Luis Obispo, into town
- One-way pair of Marsh and Higuera Streets to Archer Street through San Luis Obispo
- Higuera Street south of Archer Street to US 101 Exit 198
- Shell Beach Road from Avila Beach exit south to Price Street
- Price Street through Pismo Beach back to US 101
- El Camino Real from US 101 Exit 189 to Route 227/Grand Avenue in Arroyo Grande
- Grand Avenue and Traffic Way back to US 101 in Arroyo Grande
- Thompson Avenue from US 101 Exit 182 southeast through Nipomo to Route 166 (note that Hulton Road southwest of Route 166 leads to the foundations of the abandoned US 101 bridge)
- Route 135 through Santa Maria and Los Alamos (1940s/1950s alignment returned to current US 101 via Santa Maria Way/Business US 101) - is original alignment Orcutt Road and Graciosa Road through Orcutt?
- Avenue of The Flags in Buellton from north of town at the US 101 exit, to US 101 Exit 139 south of town
- Old Coast Highway/La Lata Place south of Buellton
- Hollister Avenue from US 101/Route 1 Exit 110 east through Goleta to State Street and Route 154
- State Street east into Santa Barbara, not clear what the routing is through central SB
- Old Coast Highway east of Salinas Street to Hot Springs Road
- Carpenteria Avenue from US 101 Exit 87B to Exit 84
- Old Pacific Coast Highway at the Richfield Pier
- Old Rincon Highway northwest of US 101 Exit 78
- Route 1 from US 101 Exit 78 south back to US 101
- Main Street through Ventura from US 101/Route 1 east to Telephone Road (near Route 126)
- Ventura Boulevard in the San Fernando Valley from Mulholland Drive east to Lankershim Boulevard
- Cahuenga Boulevard southeast towards Hollywood.
The historic routing through LA to Whittier Boulevard seems ambiguous in 1933, but somewhat clearer in 1942:http://members.cox.net/mkpl2/hist/droz-laca33n.jpghttp://members.cox.net/mkpl2/hist/droz-laca42.jpg
so based on the 1942 map...
- Sunset Boulevard from Cahuenga Boulevard east to Figueroa Street
- Cesar Chavez Avenue (formerly Sunset Boulevard and Macy Avenue) east from Figueroa Street to the Los Angeles River
- Boyle Avenue through Boyle Heights to Whittier Boulevard.
- Whittier Boulevard southeast (Route 72) to La Habra
- Harbor Boulevard south to La Palma Park (near Route 91 Exit 28)
- La Palma Parkway to Anaheim Boulevard
- Anaheim Boulevard to the one-way pair of Anaheim Way/Manchester Avenue
- Orangewood Avenue east across the Santa Ana River to Main Street in Orange (or is this Chapman Avenue?)
- Main Street south to I-5 Exit 105B
Past Anaheim, the routing gets a bit muddy....
- Main Street south past I-5 into Santa Ana, to 1st Street
- 1st Street east to El Camino Real in Tustin
- El Camino Real southeast from Tustin towards Route 261 in Irvine...where the route from there to about Mission Viejo (at Camino Capistrano) is probably subsumed by I-5 at that point.