News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 20, 2014, 10:03:32 AM
Quote from: codyg1985 on June 19, 2014, 02:42:03 PM
Does anyone know what segment of I-49 in Arkansas will be constructed after the Bella Vista Bypass is finished?

None I hope.  What a huge waste of money.
You are obviously not from Arkansas. That would be like saying I-40 through Tennessee is a huge waste of money.

iPhone

US71

Quote from: robbones on June 20, 2014, 09:08:40 PM
Quote from: bugo on June 20, 2014, 08:37:05 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 20, 2014, 10:03:32 AM
Quote from: codyg1985 on June 19, 2014, 02:42:03 PM
Does anyone know what segment of I-49 in Arkansas will be constructed after the Bella Vista Bypass is finished?

None I hope.  What a huge waste of money.

Maybe if you or a family member were killed on the deathtrap that is US 71 you would feel differently.
Mountainburg was notorious for auto wrecks before 49 was built. There used to be a sign right before you went down the grade saying 7 people were killed in the past year or something along those lines. 49 is not only good economically, but its a safer route to get through Western Arkansas once its completed.

BLU STAR4.0
Actually, Winslow to south of Mountainburg was bad. The area just below Artists Point was/is especially bad with the steep grades and nasty curves and has been poorly maintained for years.

MB886

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Arkansastravelguy

There is usually a wreck when I drive that way. Which is surprising considering how lightly the road is traveled

iPhone

O Tamandua

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on June 21, 2014, 12:21:20 AM
There is usually a wreck when I drive that way. Which is surprising considering how lightly the road is traveled

iPhone

...and it's amazing what the south left-to-be-constructed stretch of U.S. 71 also holds, even though it's not steep like 71 in Crawford County. *

Around the Logan County line, I think, there's a curvy spot where it feels like a two-lane paved county road instead of a significant highway link.  At Ashdown, the Arkansas Western railroad (used about once a day both ways between Ashdown and Nashville (AR)) literally turns into the right northbound lane of 71 before curving across the road into the Kansas City Southern's mainline..and being a shortline there are no electric/electronic lights, bells and/or gates!  Not as bad in many places as it used to be, but MAN I can't wait for us to "waste money" building that stretch of I-49.

*I never hear about them, but even Crawford County's U.S.71 stretch ain't NOTHING compared to the Ouachita Mountains' parallel U.S 59 in south LeFlore County, OK between Rich Mountain and "Three sticks", and other points close by.  How many bad accidents has THAT stretch seen, I wonder?

bugo

Three Sticks is on US 259.

O Tamandua

Quote from: bugo on June 21, 2014, 03:21:26 AM

Thanks for the correction...that's the route I meant to say.

robbones

Quote from: O Tamandua on June 21, 2014, 11:24:53 AM
Quote from: bugo on June 21, 2014, 03:21:26 AM

Thanks for the correction...that's the route I meant to say.

i have drove that route in my big rig and some curves i prayed no oncoming traffic was coming since my trailer would be in the other lane.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on June 20, 2014, 08:57:40 AM
This article reports on a dedication ceremony celebrating the redesignation of I-540 as I-49 and that the ceremony is being touted as the beginning of an "I-49 Build the Bridge" campaign

This editorial mentions that former state Rep. Ed Thicksten will head up the "I-49 Build the Bridge" campaign and that he apparently has a track record of success in obtaining funding for major highway projects:

By the yard, undoubtedly the most expensive and challenging piece of the I-49 puzzle remaining undone is that new bridge across the Arkansas River.
Thus, on Wednesday, community leaders will celebrate the signage that renames Interstate 540 from Alma north as Interstate 49. And they will grab that opportunity and all the media attention it garners to begin the I-49 Build the Bridge campaign.
And before you decide that's a fool's errand, take note of the guy heading up the effort: former state Rep. Ed Thicksten. Folks from Crawford County will tell you, that's a force to be reckoned with. He knows how to get it done from his time in the Legislature, when funding for that newly renamed stretch of highway was appropriated.
And he knows the stakes: "I think we have boundless opportunities here to move the river valley forward just like northwest Arkansas, and that bridge across the Arkansas River can be the key to our success."

MaxConcrete

Some of these views may already have been posted, but this thread is so long I could not go all the way back (I checked about 15 pages back and found similar but not identical views.) In any case, here is how the Bella Vista Bypass super-2 looked yesterday. For those not familiar, an isolated section about 2 miles long is open, with the end points both on AR 72.

Saturday I drove the full I-49 corridor and took numerous exits from IH 40 to the Missouri border. I did not notice any Interstate 540 signs anywhere. It seems to be a complete re-signing job, which is impressive since so many signs are involved.

Entering going westbound from AR 72 on the east end of the super-2.

The Future I-49 sign

Closer view

Typical view

Exit

At the west end, looking west from the AR 72 bridge

At the west end, looking east from the AR 72 bridge
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Grzrd

Quote from: AHTD on February 20, 2014, 12:03:36 AM
Planning is currently working on revised estimates for the Arkansas River crossing, once that is available we will post in this forum.
Quote from: Grzrd on June 23, 2014, 11:09:57 AM
This editorial mentions that former state Rep. Ed Thicksten will head up the "I-49 Build the Bridge" campaign and that he apparently has a track record of success in obtaining funding for major highway projects

This article includes some photos from today's I-49 dedication in Alma, including one of a "Build the Bridge" banner:

The article also reports that Thicksten has started his efforts on behalf of the bridge and that The City Wire has joined the members of this Forum in waiting for the new cost estimate for the Arkansas River bridge:

Arkansas Highway Commissioner Dick Trammel ....
said while he can't promise anything, he is confident the designation of I-49 in Benton, Crawford and Washington Counties is just the beginning of what will eventually be an interstate that stretches through all of Arkansas and brings a non-stop flow of traffic from Canada to the ports in New Orleans.
Former Rep. Ed Thicksten of Alma said all of that starts with the bridge over the Arkansas River, and urged residents from across the region to visit Interstate49BuildtheRoad.org to sign a petition urging funding and construction of the bridge.
Previous estimates to build the I-49 connection from Alma, across the Arkansas River and connect to the I-49 route in Barling have been around $350 million. The City Wire has requested from the Arkansas Highway & Transportation Department an update on the estimate.

Another article about the Alma I-49 dedication quotes Thicksten as saying that AHTD "soon will begin" a feasibility study for the bridge:

Thicksten said the highway department soon will begin a feasibility study to develop cost estimates to build the bridge.

O Tamandua

Quote from: Grzrd on June 25, 2014, 08:06:01 PM
Planning is currently working on revised estimates for the Arkansas River crossing, once that is available we will post in this forum.
This editorial mentions that former state Rep. Ed Thicksten will head up the "I-49 Build the Bridge" campaign and that he apparently has a track record of success in obtaining funding for major highway projects

This article includes some photos from today's I-49 dedication in Alma, including one of a "Build the Bridge" banner:

The article also reports that Thicksten has started his efforts on behalf of the bridge and that The City Wire has joined the members of this Forum in waiting for the new cost estimate for the Arkansas River bridge:

said while he can't promise anything, he is confident the designation of I-49 in Benton, Crawford and Washington Counties is just the beginning of what will eventually be an interstate that stretches through all of Arkansas and brings a non-stop flow of traffic from Canada to the ports in New Orleans.
Former Rep. Ed Thicksten of Alma said all of that starts with the bridge over the Arkansas River, and urged residents from across the region to visit Interstate49BuildtheRoad.org to sign a petition urging funding and construction of the bridge.
Previous estimates to build the I-49 connection from Alma, across the Arkansas River and connect to the I-49 route in Barling have been around $350 million. The City Wire has requested from the Arkansas Highway & Transportation Department an update on the estimate.

Another article about the Alma I-49 dedication quotes Thicksten as saying that AHTD "soon will begin" a feasibility study for the bridge:

Thicksten said the highway department soon will begin a feasibility study to develop cost estimates to build the bridge.

Just saw the City WIre article, Grzrd, with this quote (not unexpected, just confirming the near obvious):

He said without the interstate development taking place, large projects like the Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine and ArcBest were unlikely to have located out on the far eastern edge of Fort Smith.

kendancy66

Quote from: AHTD on June 01, 2014, 11:32:17 AM
Go to www.idrivearkansas.com and you can zoom into the construction route BVB is taking and get a good look at how this route will shape up.

The Missouri governor has set a special election in August for their transportation funding. Keep an eye on this. Success might mean they will meet us at the border sooner rather than later. Failure will make it anyone's guess.

Thanks for the link.  I see from the map that US-66 exists from Rolla, MO to Flagstaff, AZ

Road Hog

@MaxConcrete: Looks like the completed section is just the one lane, with no construction yet on the second lane. But both lanes seem to be under construction the farther along you go. That seems odd.

Did AHTD just intend intitally to build a Super 2 and decide later to go ahead and add the second lane?

US71

Quote from: Road Hog on June 26, 2014, 01:41:16 AM
@MaxConcrete: Looks like the completed section is just the one lane, with no construction yet on the second lane. But both lanes seem to be under construction the farther along you go. That seems odd.

Did AHTD just intend intitally to build a Super 2 and decide later to go ahead and add the second lane?
To my recollection ,yes.  They acquired Right of Way for all 4 lanes, but are currently only building 2 due to lack of funding.

AHTD

Quote from: O Tamandua on June 25, 2014, 10:32:45 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on June 25, 2014, 08:06:01 PM

Just saw the City WIre article, Grzrd, with this quote (not unexpected, just confirming the near obvious):

He said without the interstate development taking place, large projects like the Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine and ArcBest were unlikely to have located out on the far eastern edge of Fort Smith.

It is important to note that yesterday's ceremony in Alma was not an AHTD event. We were asked to participate by unveiling an I-49 sign.
One of the articles incorrectly states that AHTD has launched its "build the bridge campaign." This is not correct. That campaign is a local effort.

Our current estimate for this facility is about $350 to $400 million for a 13-mile Interstate facility between I-40 and State Highway 22 with an Arkansas River crossing. This is ballpark at best. We have no engineering into this other than we know the corridor. High level estimates are often ballparked for various presentations, etc. that require planning to provide numbers.

One article incorrectly stated we will soon begin a feasibility study. The person quoted probably just used the wrong term. We will need to complete an EIS and at this time we don't have that programmed.
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

Bobby5280

$350-$400 million sounds more logical for the entire 13 mile segment between the I-40 interchange, the Arkansas River crossing and connection into Future I-49 at AR-22. When I first heard $350 million for the Arkansas River crossing alone I was wondering just what kind of bridge was going to be built.

Would that $350-$400 million ballpark figure also include the connector ramp additions to the existing I-40 & I-49 interchange at Alma?

I think if funding could be located to "build the bridge," connecting current I-49 with the segment at Fort Chaffee, it would help put the rest of I-49 in Arkansas on more of a fast track. The road could be extended farther South, piece by piece. Long term, I still think I-49 will ultimately be completed with the last, most difficult to build segments meeting in the mountains halfway between Fort Smith & Texarkana.

The I-49 shield doesn't look like it has the correct typefaces. OTOH, the kerning for the "49" numerals looks a LOT BETTER than the I-49 markers being installed. I don't know what it is about I-x9 routes, but many of those signs have horrible kerning. Too often the 9 is hugged way too close to the right edge of the shield. This is especially true for much of I-49, be it in Louisiana, Missouri or the newly signed stretch in Arkansas. The bad spacing effect is even more pronounced on neutered shields.

agentsteel53

is that 49 font one of the Blue Highway variants?  looks pretty good.

29 gets pretty bad too:

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Bobby5280

The I-29 shield wouldn't look so bad if not for the over-sized numerals that come with neutered Interstate shields.

Honestly, the spacing issues with neutered shields are so bad that the FHWA ought to consider mandating Series C numerals for all Interstate shields lacking state names, whether they're 2 digit or 3 digit routes. Series D numerals on neutered shields usually sucks. It's horrible graphic design. And it does nothing to improve legibility. The only exception to this is single digit routes or 2 digit routes with a "1" in them. Series D can work on a neutered shield then, but not often otherwise.

Here's a tip for any DOT people who might be lurking: letter and numeral legibility is about more than just the character size alone. The space around and between the characters is every bit as important. IMHO, the practice of dropping state names from Interstate shields and enlarging the numerals is just plain stupid. The freaking numerals don't fit the shield properly.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Bobby5280 on June 26, 2014, 04:19:48 PM

Honestly, the spacing issues with neutered shields are so bad that the FHWA ought to consider mandating Series C numerals for all Interstate shields lacking state names, whether they're 2 digit or 3 digit routes. Series D numerals on neutered shields usually sucks. It's horrible graphic design. And it does nothing to improve legibility. The only exception to this is single digit routes or 2 digit routes with a "1" in them. Series D can work on a neutered shield then, but not often otherwise.

I disagree.  if we're gonna have the truncated-crown, narrow-margin shields (70 spec), then the height of the number should be diminished.  on the 24" blank, the 12" numbers look terrible, while the 10" look passable.

that said - while we're at it, why not use '61 spec neutered?  same space for numbers, same crown height, but much less silly proportions.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

US71

Quote from: AHTD on June 26, 2014, 12:48:12 PM

It is important to note that yesterday's ceremony in Alma was not an AHTD event. We were asked to participate by unveiling an I-49 sign.
One of the articles incorrectly states that AHTD has launched its "build the bridge campaign." This is not correct. That campaign is a local effort.

That explains why so much of it seemed like they were patting each other on the back.  I noticed Mr Bennett was missing, but assumed he was busy elsewhere.  Personally, I thought the "unveiling" was kind of silly, but maybe I'm just cynical. :(

bjrush

Looks like the I-540 shield is still there. Shouldn't AHTD at least add a "To", if not outright remove it?
Woo Pig Sooie

bjrush

Also, not sure if this AHTD or City of Fayetteville, but the sign still says I-540 at the Wedington Drive exit

and this is at the Greenland exit

Woo Pig Sooie

Arkansastravelguy

The 540 signs are hit and miss, I've seen several I-540s on mileage signs and at exit 61 it still has the thru trucks to I 40 use 540 sign. Yet in Farmington the milage sign says I-49

iPhone

US71

Quote from: bjrush on June 26, 2014, 07:40:23 PM
Looks like the I-540 shield is still there. Shouldn't AHTD at least add a "To", if not outright remove it?

They HAVE removed the 540 shields approaching I-40. They also removed the free-standing 540 along WB I-40.

I agree that it should be changed to "TO 540" . It would seem to be the easiest solution.

US71

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on June 26, 2014, 10:35:43 PM
The 540 signs are hit and miss, I've seen several I-540s on mileage signs and at exit 61 it still has the thru trucks to I 40 use 540 sign. Yet in Farmington the milage sign says I-49

iPhone
This one still remains, as well, though it's probably City of Rogers' sign (but I'd love to have it for my collection ;) )

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.