News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Worst of Road Signs

Started by Scott5114, September 21, 2010, 04:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

national highway 1

Quote from: Takumi on December 17, 2011, 08:09:05 PM
From the new Meadowville interchange. *insert political "far-left" pun here*

They could've abbreviated 'Meadowville Technology Pkwy' into 'Meadowville Tech Pkwy'...
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Takumi

Or just "Meadowville Rd", since currently that's the only existing road there. The right of way for the Parkway has been cleared, but I don't know when it'll become an actual road.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

WillWeaverRVA

Holy crap. What happened, VDOT?
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Takumi

I almost made a Virginia Beach joke, but I realized they would have used a primary shield :sombrero: There are also Virginia Beach-esque oval shields on the ramps and the surface. I haven't posted them on here yet because I wanted to get other Virginia roadgeeks' opinions as to whether an oval secondary shield is an error or just ugly.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Kniwt

Takumi

Something tells me one day I'm going to stumble across one of those that says "Rockymount".

Don't @ me. Seriously.

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

Quote from: Kniwt on December 26, 2011, 10:31:29 PM
AZ 90 at I-10:
["Elpaso" photo]

Along those same lines...

When I saw this sign, and several others like it on I-87, I wondered what "Ausable" meant. Was it like "drinkable" or "useable" or something like that? Later I found out that it's supposed to be "Au Sable," not "Ausable."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

I had some allegedly ausable forks once, but I wasn't able to aus them, so I threw them away. False advertising.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

corco

Finally processing photos from a May 2011 trip to Louisiana and stumbled across this on I-10 in Texas

Central Avenue

The best/worst part is the "g" being shifted up because the patch isn't actually tall enough for the descender.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Takumi

One set of ovals from the Meadowville Interchange. There are ten in total, 4 on each ramp and one reassurance marker in each direction. While perfectly fine for ovals, the problem is that they should be circles!

Don't @ me. Seriously.

PurdueBill

Quote from: hbelkins on December 27, 2011, 01:24:55 PM
When I saw this sign, and several others like it on I-87, I wondered what "Ausable" meant. Was it like "drinkable" or "useable" or something like that? Later I found out that it's supposed to be "Au Sable," not "Ausable."

Actually I remember when I was little going to Ausable Chasm there and it was one word.  Is Au Sable River in Michigan, while Ausable River is in New York?

If the main sign is so rounded at the corners, though, the exit tab would look better slightly further to the left so as not to have its sharp lower right corner hanging out over the empty space where the main sign is rounded.  Just my taste anyway.  :P

Takumi

FHWA BGS with a bad brown Clearview patch. This has been around for a couple years.

This is the Exit 52 that the previous picture's overhead referred to. The gore sign has apparently outgrown its corners. What's funny is that the extra green on the right is non-reflective, so at night it looks like a normal gore sign if you're not paying attention.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

SSOWorld

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 08, 2011, 09:21:50 PM
this one is pretty bad, too.

one of only two '57 spec shields in Arizona.  the other one is on the opposite side of the gantry.  this one, facing south, would be much more ideal to photograph, but there's almost no way one can approach it successfully given the placement of the light post.
Arizona uses those specs as a standard
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Grzrd

I don't follow this thread closely, but I just ran across a "Road Rant" column in Cleveland Plain Dealer about erroneous signs:
http://www.cleveland.com/roadrant/index.ssf/2011/12/signs_that_deliver_the_wrong_m.html

I'm intrigued by the "I-2" shield (unfortunately no photo of it with story).  Apologies if these signs are old news ...

codyg1985

Quote from: national highway 1 on December 18, 2011, 08:49:46 PM
Quote from: Takumi on December 17, 2011, 08:09:05 PM
From the new Meadowville interchange. *insert political "far-left" pun here*

They could've abbreviated 'Meadowville Technology Pkwy' into 'Meadowville Tech Pkwy'...

And then they could fit the route shield beside the words and got rid of all that space.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

codyg1985

Quote from: Takumi on December 28, 2011, 05:09:15 PM
One set of ovals from the Meadowville Interchange. There are ten in total, 4 on each ramp and one reassurance marker in each direction. While perfectly fine for ovals, the problem is that they should be circles!

If one weren't paying attention you would think those signs were in Mississippi.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

hbelkins

Quote from: codyg1985 on January 04, 2012, 07:38:20 AM
If one weren't paying attention you would think those signs were in Mississippi.

Or Kentucky. Or New Jersey. Or Delaware.

That being said, I've seen a few of the oval or ellipse signs for secondary routes in Virginia, both on guide signs and standalone markers.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

Quote from: codyg1985 on January 04, 2012, 07:35:35 AM

And then they could fit the route shield beside the words and got rid of all that space.

or, alternately, they could give it a less stupid name.  "Meadowville Pkwy" is sufficient and unpretentious.

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

came across this one on my lunch break.  apparently, this guide sign is valid only when there are children present.

there were no children around.  I turned left onto Hidden Valley Road anyway.  don't tell anyone!

jake@aaroads.com

Takumi

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 04, 2012, 12:44:42 PM
or, alternately, they could give it a less stupid name.  "Meadowville Pkwy" is sufficient and unpretentious.

I have a map that shows it, proposed, as Meadowville Pkwy. However, right now there is no Parkway there at all. It's just Meadowville Road.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

ctsignguy

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

WillWeaverRVA

Speaking of ovals in Virginia...

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Takumi

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 04, 2012, 04:45:10 PM
came across this one on my lunch break.  apparently, this guide sign is valid only when there are children present.

there were no children around.  I turned left onto Hidden Valley Road anyway.  don't tell anyone!

Perhaps the valley is only hidden when children are present.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.