I plan on heading over to New Philadelphia, OH in May and was wondering on things to go stop and see on the way to and/or back. My route includes following I-70 west through West Virginia (avoiding I-470, as I would like to see the Wheeling Tunnel) then up US 250 once in Ohio and up to New Philadelphia. On the way back, I was thinking on going to see any remaining button copy on I-77 between New Philly and I-70 as well as I-76 between I-77 and West Virginia. Now, a few questions...
1) How much button copy (if there is any) is left on both I-77 and I-70 in Ohio in the places mentioned above? How much has been replaced with clearview?
2) When was the last time anyone traveled on I-70 in West Virginia? I'd like to know because I was wondering if there was any button copy left on there.
3) Would it be worth taking US 30 in lieu of the PA Turnpike in Pennsylvania? I was thinking of hopping on US 30 in Breezewood and taking that west to PA 31, where I’d take that to I-70 west of New Stanton, just for something interesting (only so much of the Turnpike I can stand). Thoughts/opinions?
4) Either on the way there or back, I plan on taking a tour of Wheeling to go see a few things (including one old I-470 shield I discovered), which include the Wheeling Suspension Bridge. Where would be a good place to get a good photo of the bridge from the side? Any parks I should be aware about?
5) Along the route I planned, is there anything worth detouring off the highway to go see? Anything in Washington, PA or New Philadelphia, OH that you’d recommend I go see?
Any help/suggestions are very much appreciated!