I went to the PIM for the southern 3rd of the I-39/90 project tonight. There was heavy turnout tonight - the estimate I heard from WisDOT staff was about 175-200 attendees.
Some of the more interesting info:
- NO design consideration is being made for Hwy 11 and US 14 east of Janesville during the Hwy 11 interchange rebuild. The spokesman indicated that the study wasn't far enough along, and indicated the expressway was likely at least 10-20 years away.
- They are rebuilding the Hwy 11 West/Avalon Rd exit with either regular roundabouts, roundabouts for "oversize" semis, or stoplights. A ton of comments tonight were regarding accommodations for truck traffic and the (perceived) inappropriateness of roundabouts for truck traffic, particularly oversize trucks.
- The 8-lane I-39/90 section starts at Hwy 11 and continues northward to Hwy 26 (though the materials tonight only showed it to Hwy O). The materials presented tonight are presenting the 8-lane section as a done deal, whereas earlier news reports indicated it wasn't set in stone.
- The I-39/90 - I-43 - Hwy 81 interchange in Beloit will end up being a tri-level stack. All alternatives feature the high-speed ramps to and from I-43 in all scenarios, likely going over the remaining highways. I-39/90 is being shifted east a few hundred feet to accommodate the entrance and exit ramps to southbound I-39/90. Two of the scenarios show an extension of Milwaukee Rd east of the interchange to tie into County X, one does not. They featured examples with both roundabouts and signals at the Hwy 81/County X interchange.
- The ramps to and from the Welcome Center are being straightened to allow for future additional parking and allow vehicles to get back to highway speeds before the I-43/Hwy 81 exit.
- As previously discussed, they're widening first into the median with a center barrier, then expanding outward to accommodate the 4th lane north of Hwy 11.