Is there any button copy left in the Minneapolis area?
I wasn't aware of there being any button copy in the Metro to begin with. Certainly not in the last 20 years.
Besides the ghost ramp to 35W, any other stubs? I can't tell what's going on near the eastern end of 394.
What few other stubs existed have since been taken out by construction. Could you elaborate more on the east end of 394?
Any interesting bridges? I'm heading over to Stillwater, that's the only one I have pegged. I'm not concerned with Washington Ave. bridge.
- Between Nicollet Island and St. Anthony Main on Merriam St across a secondary channel of the Mississippi is a through truss bridge, which was part of the original Broadway Bridge further upstream, built in 1889. When the Broadway Bridge was replaced in the 1980s, they shipped a span of it down to Nicollet Island for this bridge.
- The new I-35W bridge is interesting in its own right, especially at night when they light it up.
- There are several concrete arch bridges in the region, including the 10th Ave Bridge over the Mississippi (adjacent to I-35W), the MN 55 Mendota Bridge over the Minnesota River (very viewable from underneath at Fort Snelling State Park), and the Robert Street bridge in downtown St. Paul.
- The MN 77 Cedar Ave Bridge over the Minnesota River is a tied-arch bridge.
- The US 61 Hastings Bridge is in the process of being replaced. The current bridge is a through truss that used to be painted blue (not sure if it still is).
- Nearby Hastings, the US 10 bridge at Prescott, WI is a drawbridge...there aren't very many in the area.
What is the progress of MN 610 west of CR 81? Is there any construction/earthworks to see beyond that point? (It's not opening in the next two months, right?)
No construction west of CSAH 81. Though I believe some preliminary utility work was done as part of an earlier project, MnDOT does not currently have funding to extend the freeway to I-94.
Just a matter of curiosity - was MN 110-62 Crosstown Hwy. ever intended to be the southern part of the I-494 beltway?
MN 110 to the east of I-35E was an early (pre-1960) candidate for I-494's routing, but I-494 was always intended for the 78th Street corridor between Bloomington and Richfield.
Also, MN 110 is not part of the "Crosstown Highway" and has never been called such. "Crosstown Hwy" only refers to MN 62 and dates back to its construction as a county route...MnDOT didn't take it over until 1988.