AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Route 1/Rice Avenue in Oxnard  (Read 55567 times)

NE2

• fuck

• Last Login: March 11, 2024, 12:16:05 AM
Re: Route 1/Rice Avenue in Oxnard
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2014, 12:30:30 AM »

So I was driving on the 101 south from Santa Barbara and the CA 1 shield on the SB BGS at the 126 split has been scraped off.  Apparently, the relinquishment of CA 1 in Oxnard is tantamount to the decommissioning of the route.
Holy fucking stupid. Oxnard is required to maintain signs:
(3) For portions of Route 1 relinquished under this subdivision, the City of Oxnard shall maintain within its jurisdiction signs directing motorists to the continuation of Route 1.
but Caltrans can make it as discontinuous as it wants.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

JustDrive

• Last Login: January 19, 2024, 05:04:43 AM
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2014, 05:24:17 PM »

The only CA 1 shield still left up in Oxnard is at the five points intersection with Wooley and Saviers Roads.  There is no signage directing motorists from the 101 to the 1 freeway.

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2014, 01:15:39 AM »

So I was driving on the 101 south from Santa Barbara and the CA 1 shield on the SB BGS at the 126 split has been scraped off.  Apparently, the relinquishment of CA 1 in Oxnard is tantamount to the decommissioning of the route.
I noticed that. There's a more direct connection from 1 to 101 that bypasses the city to the east along Rice. I wondered if that may be the intended future of 1. NB exiting at Oxnard, there was no signage along 1 itself indicating the exit, but there were a handful of signs once I got off the exit.

TheStranger

• Last Login: Today at 03:22:40 AM
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2014, 05:17:04 AM »

There's a more direct connection from 1 to 101 that bypasses the city to the east along Rice. I wondered if that may be the intended future of 1.

It indeed is - which makes me wonder why no signage upgrades have been made to make this more clear.

There was a dedication ceremony in August:
http://www.oxnardnews.org/page.aspx?id=885
Chris Sampang

TheStranger

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2014, 06:05:23 PM »

When will 252 be built? I need a faster route from Malibu to Montalvo.

257...likely isn't going to be constructed ever (thus the dotted black line).
Chris Sampang

J N Winkler

• Last Login: Today at 02:48:46 AM
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2014, 08:47:55 PM »

I went through the area on US 101 both directions and found no current reference to State 1. It was rather annoying to see.

I was coming southbound on US 101 a little over a week later, intending to take SR 1 from Port Hueneme to Santa Monica.  I missed the turn in Oxnard because there was no sign for SR 1, so yes I agree it is annoying, although I got a look at Topanga Canyon Blvd. (SR 27) out of it.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kendancy66

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 08:15:50 PM
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2014, 10:44:39 PM »

I went through the area on US 101 both directions and found no current reference to State 1. It was rather annoying to see.

I was coming southbound on US 101 a little over a week later, intending to take SR 1 from Port Hueneme to Santa Monica.  I missed the turn in Oxnard because there was no sign for SR 1, so yes I agree it is annoying, although I got a look at Topanga Canyon Blvd. (SR 27) out of it.

I looked on Google Street View and US-101 exit 62B has a 1 shield in each direction.  Has that changed?

J N Winkler

• Last Login: Today at 02:48:46 AM
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2014, 11:27:48 PM »

I looked on Google Street View and US-101 exit 62B has a 1 shield in each direction.  Has that changed?

StreetView (dated July 2012) for gantry just upstream of Exit 62B on US 101 southbound

What I remember (I didn't video the trip, not having picked a suitable device or addressed the storage issues) is that the regulatory sign on left (advising of truck restrictions on SR 1 south of SR 23) was still present, but there was no SR 1 shield on the Oxnard Blvd. lane-drop advance guide sign, so I assumed the message pertained to an upcoming SR 1 exit.  I was some distance beyond the Los Angeles county line before I realized that the exit I was waiting for did not in fact exist.

I did not know what street to look for since I was using a single-sheet state map (AAA 2003) for navigation, that being easier and safer to handle at speed than Google Maps on my phone.  It shows a short freeway section of SR 1 curving to the coast south of US 101, so I was half-expecting a system interchange and was not prepared for SR 1 not to be signed.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

TheStranger

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2014, 11:19:57 AM »

It shows a short freeway section of SR 1 curving to the coast south of US 101, so I was half-expecting a system interchange and was not prepared for SR 1 not to be signed.

Even before the Rice Avenue project, the Route 1 freeway south of Oxnard was always separate from any other nearby freeways (though prior to about 2012, it continued more directly onto Oxnard Boulevard/soon to be former Route 1, as opposed to north onto Rice).

If I'm not mistaken, that was the only segment of the proposed Oxnard-Dana Point route of the Pacific Coast Freeway to ever be constructed.
Chris Sampang

sdmichael

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2014, 03:17:38 PM »

I'm curious, has anyone here actually asked Caltrans? They are a public agency and do give out information. I put in a call to Caltrans asking about the signage problem. I'll see what happens when they call back.

TheStranger

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2015, 02:20:30 PM »

Apparently the reroute onto Rice was discussed in a Ventura County Transportation Commission meeting in August 2014:
http://www.goventura.org/sites/default/files/TTAC%20Agenda%20Aug.%20%202014.pdf

I haven't been back on the road since summer 2014 so I don't have any updates as to whether 1 shields have started appearing on Rice.
Chris Sampang

emory

• Last Login: August 20, 2020, 12:40:23 AM
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2015, 02:29:32 PM »

Apparently the reroute onto Rice was discussed in a Ventura County Transportation Commission meeting in August 2014:
http://www.goventura.org/sites/default/files/TTAC%20Agenda%20Aug.%20%202014.pdf

I haven't been back on the road since summer 2014 so I don't have any updates as to whether 1 shields have started appearing on Rice.

I was there over Memorial Day and no signs.

pderocco

• Two wrongs don't make a right--but three lefts do.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 01:20:42 AM
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2015, 12:55:12 AM »

I went through the area on US 101 both directions and found no current reference to State 1. It was rather annoying to see. I understand if the route was relinquished to remove it from the signage, but to remove signage even to get to the continuation is a bad move. Caltrans/Ventura County should upgrade Rice Ave to State standards and get on with it. Otherwise, there is no clear signed route to get to State 1 south of Oxnard. At least northbound you will find your way to US 101.

From Dan Faigin's site (http://www.cahighways.org/001-008.html) "For those relinquished former portions of Route 1, the Cities of Dana Point, Newport Beach, Santa Monica, and Oxnard shall maintain within their respective jurisdictions signs directing motorists to the continuation of Route 1." For the better part of a year, there has been no reference to route 1 in any of the signage on SB US-101 where route 1 used to exit onto Oxnard Blvd., or where the new Rice Ave. exit is, or anywhere along Oxnard Blvd., or anywhere along Rice Ave.
There are, however, a couple of these white signs that hint that people might be interested in getting to route 1 further south, and telling them how not to get there: https://goo.gl/maps/Xgf1En243Xx.

mrsman

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:10:21 PM
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2015, 11:26:04 PM »

I went through the area on US 101 both directions and found no current reference to State 1. It was rather annoying to see. I understand if the route was relinquished to remove it from the signage, but to remove signage even to get to the continuation is a bad move. Caltrans/Ventura County should upgrade Rice Ave to State standards and get on with it. Otherwise, there is no clear signed route to get to State 1 south of Oxnard. At least northbound you will find your way to US 101.

From Dan Faigin's site (http://www.cahighways.org/001-008.html) "For those relinquished former portions of Route 1, the Cities of Dana Point, Newport Beach, Santa Monica, and Oxnard shall maintain within their respective jurisdictions signs directing motorists to the continuation of Route 1." For the better part of a year, there has been no reference to route 1 in any of the signage on SB US-101 where route 1 used to exit onto Oxnard Blvd., or where the new Rice Ave. exit is, or anywhere along Oxnard Blvd., or anywhere along Rice Ave.
There are, however, a couple of these white signs that hint that people might be interested in getting to route 1 further south, and telling them how not to get there: https://goo.gl/maps/Xgf1En243Xx.

This makes no sense at all.  The signs should lead CA-1 along Oxnard Blvd until Rice Ave is ready

pderocco

• Two wrongs don't make a right--but three lefts do.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 01:20:42 AM
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2015, 11:49:37 PM »

This makes no sense at all.  The signs should lead CA-1 along Oxnard Blvd until Rice Ave is ready

Rice is as "ready" as Oxnard is. I've been preferring Rice for years now, because there are fewer lights on it, and in the evenings when I'm usually on my way back to L.A., there's almost no traffic on it. So even if it's not technical route 1 yet, it would make more sense to direct route 1 traffic along Rice.

emory

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2015, 09:16:18 PM »

What's the hold-up at this point? They've even rolled back CA 34 to end at Rice Ave.

Quillz

• A Talking Pokémon

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 10:13:27 PM
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2015, 12:20:46 AM »

What's the hold-up at this point? They've even rolled back CA 34 to end at Rice Ave.
Is the plan to make CA-34 a purely north-south route still going to happen? Seems at one point, it was going to continue southward onto Lewis Road -> Hueneme Road -> Las Posas Road -> CA-1.

I've been on Rice Avenue many times now and there are no CA-1 signs anywhere. In fact, the way signage currently is, CA-1 seems to simply end at the Pleasant Valley/Rice interchange entirely, then picks up via a relatively hidden concurrency with US-101 west of Ventura. Driving on Rice Avenue, it seems like construction is done, just a matter of getting the signage up. That also means CA-232 is supposed to be moved onto Santa Clara Avenue between CA-1/US-101 and CA-118.

emory

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2015, 07:17:34 PM »

Google Maps is now identifying Rice Avenue as CA 1.

kendancy66

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 08:15:50 PM
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2015, 11:44:56 PM »

The last time i was in Oxnard. The only place going north on US 101 that would indicate CA 1 was on sign on exit 62B Oxnard Blvd. It was greened out but you could tell  there was CA route shield underneath it. Good luck finding it otherwise.  The part that makes me upset is that this is covered up but Rice exit is not signed yet.  Also that it is a new sign that has the route on there and they still chose to cover it before resigning it elsewhere.  I can understand not signing a lesser class route. But this route is one of the main scenic routes in the whole state

Quillz

• A Talking Pokémon

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2016, 10:32:44 PM »

Might have been asked, but what will happen with the former freeway alignment of CA-1 that transitioned into Oxnard Blvd? Last I checked, it still has numbered exits, which would be incorrect now as it's no longer part of the state highway system. I assume the freeway will be reclassified as an expressway, officially part of Oxnard Blvd?

Also, according to a 2003 planning map, the realignment of CA-1 along Rice Avenue was also supposed to coincide with the moving of CA-232 from Vineyard Avenue onto Santa Clara Avenue, as that would create a seamless connection between CA-1/US-101 and CA-118. And finally, the same planning map also showed CA-34 being changed to a north-south route, as it would no longer follow Fifth Avenue, but farther south on Lewis Road down to Las Posas Road.

Occidental Tourist

• Last Login: January 07, 2024, 03:25:40 AM
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2016, 03:42:38 PM »

Might have been asked, but what will happen with the former freeway alignment of CA-1 that transitioned into Oxnard Blvd? Last I checked, it still has numbered exits, which would be incorrect now as it's no longer part of the state highway system. I assume the freeway will be reclassified as an expressway, officially part of Oxnard Blvd?

Was that section of CA-1 decommissioned?  I thought it was just the portion of Oxnard Blvd. north of Rice Ave.

JustDrive

• Last Login: January 19, 2024, 05:04:43 AM
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2016, 12:14:56 AM »

I drove through the area. A few observations:

- The "CA 1 North" was greened out on NB PCH at Pleasant Valley Road (though not at the offramp itself)
- There is a standalone TO US 101 shield on NB 1 where it transitions onto Rice Avenue
- The END CA 34 sign is still up on WB 5th approaching Oxnard Blvd

No real indication as to whether CA 1 shields will be put up on Rice anytime soon.

Quillz

• A Talking Pokémon

« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2016, 02:29:05 PM »

Was that section of CA-1 decommissioned?  I thought it was just the portion of Oxnard Blvd. north of Rice Ave.
My understanding is Rice Avenue is now carrying CA-1 from where the freeway alignment ends, north to US-101. This leaves a "stub" freeway that seamlessly turns into Oxnard Boulevard, and still has exit numbers as far as I know. My assumption is that this freeway will simply be known as Oxnard Boulevard and be locally maintained, although this require a slight recalculation of the mile markers, which would have to be moved to Rice Avenue.

On a related note, is there any updates on moving CA-232 onto Santa Clara Avenue so it now meets CA-1 and CA-118 a bit more to the east? And there is also plans to move CA-34 onto a southern alignment (likely Las Posas Road) to give access to Pt. Mugu.

AndyMax25

• Last Login: February 20, 2024, 11:51:32 PM
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2016, 11:51:56 PM »

I'm curious, has anyone here actually asked Caltrans? They are a public agency and do give out information. I put in a call to Caltrans asking about the signage problem. I'll see what happens when they call back.

I just drove through there today and it is sad that folks are missing the Rice Ave turnoff to continue south on Hwy 1. It's like Hwy 1 just disappears after 300 miles of good signage.

NB is not as bad but still confusing. 

Caltrans has done the first step in removing the shields at the Oxnard Blvd interchange. Now they need the shields at the Rice Ave interchange. There are large new signs here that should be accommodating.  There should also be dual signage in both directions between Rice Ave and the State Beaches exit. Finally there should be reassurance shields along Rice.

I will put in an email to my D7 contact next week to see what the hold up is, if any.

Quillz

• A Talking Pokémon

« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2016, 12:07:26 AM »

I just drove through there today and it is sad that folks are missing the Rice Ave turnoff to continue south on Hwy 1. It's like Hwy 1 just disappears after 300 miles of good signage.

NB is not as bad but still confusing. 

Caltrans has done the first step in removing the shields at the Oxnard Blvd interchange. Now they need the shields at the Rice Ave interchange. There are large new signs here that should be accommodating.  There should also be dual signage in both directions between Rice Ave and the State Beaches exit. Finally there should be reassurance shields along Rice.

I will put in an email to my D7 contact next week to see what the hold up is, if any.
I think I mentioned last time I was out there, what is now the freeway segment of Oxnard Boulevard (and thus no longer part of the state highway network) still has CA-1 exit numbers. While Rice Avenue has no mile markers at all.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.