Good-Latimer was part of the Central Boulevard plan in 1942. There were two sections of it, Good-Latimer and Preston-Pearl/now Cesar Chavez and they both opened in late 1956. They split at the south end of the expressway section near Live Oak and re-converged between Grand and Forest/now MLK.
The city called it the Latimer Expressway in initial plans, named after Latimer Street which it ran over (named for Weck Latimer, editor of the Dallas Herald). It also went over Good Street, and the relatives of John Jay Good (early mayor) asked the city to perpetuate the street name they added it on.