News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Dual left turn only signs outside of California

Started by blawp, April 26, 2012, 11:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blawp

Whenever I go to Arizona and I'm in a dual left turn bay, I often see "Left turn only" signs mounted near the left turn protected signal overhead. Sometimes there's a no-U-Turn sign and sometimes there isn't. In California, the dual left turn signs will either show the inside turn lane with or without a U turn arrow as a spur off the left turn arrow. If there isn't one, the sign will show the text "NO U TURN" and a no U turn symbol will be mounted on the far left hand corner of the intersection.

Other states should use the California signage, otherwise it's vague whether a U-turn is allowed if there is not a sign specifically ruling it out.

DaBigE

Quote from: blawp on April 26, 2012, 11:57:02 PM
Other states should use the California signage, otherwise it's vague whether a U-turn is allowed if there is not a sign specifically ruling it out.

Wisconsin used to have the law, (the last in the nation I believe), where U-turns were illegal at any signalized intersection, signed or not (very confusing to tourists).  Since January 1, 2010, when the state statute was changed, U-turns are now permitted anywhere, unless there is a sign prohibiting it http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/drivers/apply/types/law-changes-2010.htm.  As the law states, the U-turn is only permitted from the left-most lane, so dual and triple left turn lanes are covered.  I believe many other states have this or a similarly stated law as well, so I don't think additional signage is really needed in most cases.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

roadfro

Practice in Nevada at dual left turn lanes tends to be to have the sign show a LT/UT and LT arrow for the respective lanes. If no U-turn is allowed, then it is just 2 LT arrows on the sign which is accompanied by a symbolic No U-turn sign on the mast arm.

Nevada law is similar to Wisconsin in that U-turns are allowed at any intersection (as long as the turn can be done safely) unless a sign specifically prohibits it.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

kphoger

U turns are typically permitted either anywhere or only at controlled intersections under state law.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

Illinois has some California-style left turn signage along North Avenue (IL-64), but usually it's just for the two left turn lanes, no U-Turn included or prohibited.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Duke87

Quote from: kphoger on April 27, 2012, 02:19:46 PM
U turns are typically permitted either anywhere or only at controlled intersections under state law.

And then you have New York, where U-turns are prohibited except where signage indicates otherwise (which is rare).
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

empirestate

Quote from: Duke87 on April 27, 2012, 10:15:27 PM
And then you have New York, where U-turns are prohibited except where signage indicates otherwise (which is rare).

Wait, huh?

Duke87

Quote from: empirestate on April 28, 2012, 12:41:03 AM

Wait, huh?

It's a law lots of people break, but in New York City it's illegal to make a U-turn anywhere on a divided highway. You can get a ticket for it.
Though, apparently, upon looking into it, this doesn't extend to the entire state as I had previously had the impression.

empirestate

Quote from: Duke87 on April 28, 2012, 10:08:20 AM

Wait, huh?

It's a law lots of people break, but in New York City it's illegal to make a U-turn anywhere on a divided highway. You can get a ticket for it.
Though, apparently, upon looking into it, this doesn't extend to the entire state as I had previously had the impression.

Yes, only on divided highways and in business districts, and those only in NYC. You had me worried for a second, having made a lifetime's worth of U-turns all over the state!

(And also, by state law, on curves, hills and so forth where you can't see far enough away and where it would be stupid to bang a U-ey anyhow.)

CentralCAroadgeek

I have an example of this type of sign as it is apparently common only in California:
Please note the faded "NO U TURN" at the bottom of the sign.

kphoger

Wait, huh?

I believe Chicago has this law as well; hence this sign on the Canal Street exit off the Ike:
http://g.co/maps/x5ama
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on April 28, 2012, 12:54:49 PM

Wait, huh?

I believe Chicago has this law as well; hence this sign on the Canal Street exit off the Ike:

Not so sure about that.  U-Turns, IIRC, are permitted on boulevards and LSD (boulevard section).  That's a special case where you have another two lanes to the left of the lane that can U-Turn.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kphoger

Quote from: Brandon on April 28, 2012, 01:01:28 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 28, 2012, 12:54:49 PM

Wait, huh?

Not so sure about that.  U-Turns, IIRC, are permitted on boulevards and LSD (boulevard section).  That's a special case where you have another two lanes to the left of the lane that can U-Turn.

OK, so I looked it up.  Apparently, the restriction only applies between and including Wacker Drive, Michigan Avenue, and Congress Parkway.  Learn something new every day!
Male pronouns, please.

Ian

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on April 28, 2012, 11:31:52 AM
I have an example of this type of sign as it is apparently common only in California

That's an awesome mast arm.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

mgk920

Quote from: PennDOTFan on April 28, 2012, 01:48:04 PM
Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on April 28, 2012, 11:31:52 AM
I have an example of this type of sign as it is apparently common only in California

Yea, it looks like it's wilting.

:spin:

Mike

CentralCAroadgeek

Quote from: PennDOTFan on April 28, 2012, 01:48:04 PM

There are several of these mast arms here in Salinas. I don't know about elsewhere.

txstateends

The mast arm looks like it's trying to do it's own U-turn  :cool:
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

blawp

Shrug...that's a fairly common mast arm type in NorCal.

Duke87

Quote from: empirestate on April 28, 2012, 10:52:34 AM
Quote from: Duke87 on April 28, 2012, 10:08:20 AM

Yes, only on divided highways and in business districts, and those only in NYC. You had me worried for a second, having made a lifetime's worth of U-turns all over the state!

Heh. My father learned to drive in NYC and to this day believes that U-turns like that on divided highways are illegal everywhere in the entire country (hasty generalization), and he taught me such when he was teaching me how to drive. If I weren't interested in this sort of thing and looking it up, I wouldn't know better!

DaBigE

Quote from: blawp on April 29, 2012, 03:26:32 AM
Shrug...that's a fairly common mast arm type in NorCal.

Don't mean to thread-jack or anything, but does anyone know the rationale or thought process behind this mast-arm design? :confused:  It looks like it would be a target for taller vehicles, especially with how far that left turn signal is below the other signal.  Or, does it "droop" over a median island that the photo doesn't go low enough to show?

CentralCAroadgeek

Quote from: DaBigE on April 29, 2012, 05:50:09 PM
Don't mean to thread-jack or anything, but does anyone know the rationale or thought process behind this mast-arm design? :confused:  It looks like it would be a target for taller vehicles, especially with how far that left turn signal is below the other signal.  Or, does it "droop" over a median island that the photo doesn't go low enough to show?
I've seen that it does "droop" over the median.

blawp

It usually hangs over a left turn only lane so nothing passes under it. Left turns are low speed approaches so you want the signal as close and as visible to the car in front as possible and less visible to thru traffic (hence the 3M signal).

Other states don't care about the intricacies of traffic signal design like California.

DaBigE

Quote from: blawp on April 29, 2012, 07:45:31 PM
It usually hangs over a left turn only lane so nothing passes under it.

Huh?  It hangs over a lane of traffic, but nothing passes under it?  You have me confused...are these invisible vehicles?

Other states don't care about the intricacies of traffic signal design like California.

Unless you mean that sarcastically, them fightin' words...:fight:

blawp

On the far side of the intersection it hangs. Wisconsin is a fairly good actor in signal design. I'm calling out states like Texas or Florida.

Brandon

I beg to differ.  They have different strategies for dealing with signal design, and how they use signals.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.