Signs With Design Errors

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, June 29, 2012, 08:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SignGeek101

https://goo.gl/maps/xfziVC77Jez

Other than it being wrong, it's been done horribly   :-D

It should be 307-S. It turns out, the yellow was added later to express the 'exit only' for that lane.

noelbotevera

Quote from: SignGeek101 on September 30, 2015, 10:05:24 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/xfziVC77Jez

Other than it being wrong, it's been done horribly   :-D

It should be 307-S. It turns out, the yellow was added later to express the 'exit only' for that lane.
Funny thing is that there's room to scrunch over 307 and slap on -S.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

WNYroadgeek

Somebody forgot to cut out this Thruway shield before mounting it: https://goo.gl/maps/ips7w9HDM4s

SignBridge

I think it looks good that way; better contrast. Similar to New Jersey DOT's practice of putting the state-route circular shield in a black box on BGS's.

peterj920

The US 41 sign was an erroneous US 141 sign.  Notice that the first 1 was whitewashed and the 4 is in the center. 

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: SignGeek101 on September 11, 2015, 11:18:00 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/ZZHBj

Lowercase where a capital should be. oOps.

That's actually grammatically correct in French.  In french, street, road, avenue, ect. aren't supposed to be capitalized, only the proper noun should be.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

SignGeek101

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on February 16, 2016, 09:18:36 PM

That's actually grammatically correct in French.  In french, street, road, avenue, ect. aren't supposed to be capitalized, only the proper noun should be.

I was actually thinking about the cardinal direction. The 'O' in 'OUEST' in the middle sign is a lower case letter 'o'. Compare how it looks with the word "Brandon" underneath it and the "NORTH" on the sign to the right.

J N Winkler

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on February 16, 2016, 09:18:36 PMThat's actually grammatically correct in French.  In french, street, road, avenue, etc. aren't supposed to be capitalized, only the proper noun should be.

This is true (compare "rue St.-Jacques" with "St. James Street"), but in Québec at least, primary destination legend is treated as if it is in title case:  hence "Centre Infotouriste" instead of "Centre infotouriste," "Rue Hochelaga" instead of "rue Hochelaga," etc.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: SignGeek101 on February 16, 2016, 09:31:08 PM
Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on February 16, 2016, 09:18:36 PM

I was actually thinking about the cardinal direction. The 'O' in 'OUEST' in the middle sign is a lower case letter 'o'. Compare how it looks with the word "Brandon" underneath it and the "NORTH" on the sign to the right.

I didn't notice that one.

I quite like how Winnipeg signs the by-pass in blue.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

AsphaltPlanet

Green instead of blue on new signage for the 407 along the southbound lanes of the 410:

SignGeek101

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on February 17, 2016, 06:29:55 PM
Green instead of blue on new signage for the 407 along the southbound lanes of the 410:

Ontario keeps replacing those gantries I see.  The old ones are eyesores IMO. The green is interesting. I wonder if there was something done within MTO to change the colour of ETR signs with the new 407 coming this spring and all. Perhaps they are trying to differentiate the two freeways more.

Or maybe, like you said, it's simply a mistake  :-D

jblock42

Two signs that always make me irrationally upset are on US-31 right by me at Ferris and Hayes Sts

I'm not sure exactly what's wrong with them, it looks like the shield is too wide, but that doesn't make sense if the south mark is also 24" then the sign looks like it's also 24" ???

(excuse the photo quality I took these on my phone as I was driving past them earlier today)
I'm still new at this whole roadgeeking thing but hey I've got a rather unorganised but pretty neato sign collection going with 29 actual highway signs which includes a state highway sign from 11/50 states so there's that

Brandon

^^ The second curse is worse than the first!  Because ugly Clearview numbers.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

thenetwork

Quote from: jblock42 on February 18, 2016, 03:38:28 PM
Two signs that always make me irrationally upset are on US-31 right by me at Ferris and Hayes Sts

I'm not sure exactly what's wrong with them, it looks like the shield is too wide, but that doesn't make sense if the south mark is also 24" then the sign looks like it's also 24" ???

(excuse the photo quality I took these on my phone as I was driving past them earlier today)

In the second one, the "31" is in butt-ugly Clearview.  Plus both shields are placing 2-digits within a 3-digit shield.

jblock42

Quote from: thenetwork on February 18, 2016, 03:47:21 PM
Quote from: jblock42 on February 18, 2016, 03:38:28 PM

In the second one, the "31" is in butt-ugly Clearview.  Plus both shields are placing 2-digits within a 3-digit shield.
I wasn't exactly sure if they were 3 digit shields because of the south marks still looking like the normal 24" ones, because they look pretty much lined up as well as they can be?
I'm still new at this whole roadgeeking thing but hey I've got a rather unorganised but pretty neato sign collection going with 29 actual highway signs which includes a state highway sign from 11/50 states so there's that

PHLBOS

Quote from: jblock42 on February 18, 2016, 03:49:59 PMI wasn't exactly sure if they were 3 digit shields because of the south marks still looking like the normal 24" ones, because they look pretty much lined up as well as they can be?
For the size of the shield, the SOUTH banners appear to be one size larger; i.e. intended for a larger route shield size.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jblock42

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 18, 2016, 05:08:12 PM
Quote from: jblock42 on February 18, 2016, 03:49:59 PMI wasn't exactly sure if they were 3 digit shields because of the south marks still looking like the normal 24" ones, because they look pretty much lined up as well as they can be?
For the size of the shield, the SOUTH banners appear to be one size larger; i.e. intended for a larger route shield size.
I was wondering if that was the case! Seems so stupid that they'd put it on the non freeway part of the highway, and with a 3 digit shied??

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: SignGeek101 on February 17, 2016, 09:50:26 PM
Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on February 17, 2016, 06:29:55 PM

Ontario keeps replacing those gantries I see.  The old ones are eyesores IMO. The green is interesting. I wonder if there was something done within MTO to change the colour of ETR signs with the new 407 coming this spring and all. Perhaps they are trying to differentiate the two freeways more.

Or maybe, like you said, it's simply a mistake  :-D

I have to think it's a mistake.  I can't see the logic of deliberately changing the signs from blue to green.  Particularly since so many of the entrance signs would be maintained by the 407 ETR themselves, who in my opinion, would be unlikely to update their signage stock without absolutely needing to.  The thing that does surprise me about this sign however, is that it looks like it's come from the MTO sign shop.  Usually signage from the sign shop is pretty good, as I get the impression that the staff who work their understand how Ontario's highways are typically signed.  Contractor signage is typically less reliable.

KEVIN_224

Quote from: Brandon on February 18, 2016, 03:46:04 PM

The second sign's font looks like something I've seen on Maine state route signs.  :hmmm:

Zeffy

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on February 19, 2016, 09:05:32 AM

The second sign's font looks like something I've seen on Maine state route signs.  :hmmm:

That's LeHay, which is a mysterious font that doesn't have any sort of documentation or anything besides road signs that use them. Massachusetts and Maryland, among others, also used the font.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Ian

Quote from: Zeffy on February 19, 2016, 09:44:49 AM

That's LeHay, which is a mysterious font that doesn't have any sort of documentation or anything besides road signs that use them. Massachusetts and Maryland, among others, also used the font.

No they haven't. LeHay was only ever used in Maine, since it was created by a sign shop worker who used to work for MaineDOT way back when. While the fonts used in Mass and Maryland were very similar, they aren't the same.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

hbelkins

Quote from: Ian on February 19, 2016, 03:22:12 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on February 19, 2016, 09:44:49 AM

No they haven't. LeHay was only ever used in Maine, since it was created by a sign shop worker who used to work for MaineDOT way back when. While the fonts used in Mass and Maryland were very similar, they aren't the same.

I've seen it used at least once in West Virginia. When I originally took and posted the years ago, someone (Adam Prince maybe) noted that it looked like a "northeastern font."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jakeroot

This is the second time WSDOT has used a 2DI shield to display a 3DI. The first time was on this BGS (which, interestingly enough, uses Series E for the numerals).

If it was a reassurance shield, I'd shit bricks. But it isn't. :-|

lordsutch

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on February 19, 2016, 08:25:56 AM
I have to think it's a mistake.  I can't see the logic of deliberately changing the signs from blue to green.  Particularly since so many of the entrance signs would be maintained by the 407 ETR themselves, who in my opinion, would be unlikely to update their signage stock without absolutely needing to.  The thing that does surprise me about this sign however, is that it looks like it's come from the MTO sign shop.  Usually signage from the sign shop is pretty good, as I get the impression that the staff who work their understand how Ontario's highways are typically signed.  Contractor signage is typically less reliable.

I think the logic is that the through route isn't tolled (or the local part of an express/local setup, which is the other use case for blue guide signs by MTO), so the proper background should be green rather than blue.

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: lordsutch on February 22, 2016, 02:15:10 PM
Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on February 19, 2016, 08:25:56 AM

I think the logic is that the through route isn't tolled (or the local part of an express/local setup, which is the other use case for blue guide signs by MTO), so the proper background should be green rather than blue.

The standard is to sign the 407 with a blue sign on all routes:

That standard has been emulated on the 407 extension as well  (these signs were erected in November of 2015:

The only exception to signing the 407 in blue is when the 407 shares a sign with a non-tolled route.  The blue is reserved for signs that are exclusively for the 407.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.