News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Banned Notice

Started by Roadsguy, November 30, 2012, 08:32:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadsguy

I just realized that there's no indication that I can see on a user's profile, or the sidebar to the left of their posts, if they're banned. Is this possible in SMF?

Also, what's this "secret moderator forum?"
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Scott5114

Why do you need to know?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 30, 2012, 10:30:52 AM
Why do you need to know?

It would be nice to know who's no longer here so we can:

* Not respond to any of their posts once they're gone.
* Rejoice in their absence.
* Make fun of them and talk about them.  :-D
*On a serious note, learn from their behaviors and what got them banned so none of us repeat the offenses.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bugo

Why do you need to know?

It's shit like this that makes me resent the moderators.

InterstateNG

I demand an apology.

Special K

Quote from: bugo on November 30, 2012, 02:33:00 PM
Why do you need to know?

It's a fair question.  Why is it anyone's business?

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Special K on November 30, 2012, 03:17:38 PM
Why do you need to know?

Not so much "why is it anyone's business," but to downplay questions such as the OP asked at the start of this thread.
Admins seeking confrontations, like Scott did above, and Steve has done on occasion, bothers me concerning this place.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

oscar

Quote from: Roadsguy on November 30, 2012, 08:32:27 AM
I just realized that there's no indication that I can see on a user's profile, or the sidebar to the left of their posts, if they're banned. Is this possible in SMF?

I've occasionally seen old posts by an "unperson" from "Banville".  That's a pretty clear sign.

For people banned for being a total waste of space on this forum (rather than for something other than useless posts), are their posts simply deleted?  That seems the best fix. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

hbelkins

I think the person Oscar's referring to is Vger, who left/was banned during the dispute over who owned the forum.

But there are the sad cases of Ethanman, Blawp and Federal Route 69, who were pretty much banned for trolling.

Heck, I even got banned once (and I won't forget that anytime soon) over absolutely nothing, but I got that taken care of pretty quickly. I was banned without notice as to why and had to find out who did it, and why, via a third party outside this forum.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on November 30, 2012, 03:37:34 PM
I think the person Oscar's referring to is Vger, who left/was banned during the dispute over who owned the forum.

But there are the sad cases of Ethanman, Blawp and Federal Route 69, who were pretty much banned for trolling.

Heck, I even got banned once (and I won't forget that anytime soon) over absolutely nothing, but I got that taken care of pretty quickly. I was banned without notice as to why and had to find out who did it, and why, via a third party outside this forum.

I think ethanman carried it a step further by using the purple typeface the moderators used and then posting crap saying he was threatening to close threads and such. Obviously bollocks, but I think "impersonating a moderator" was the last straw.

His posts weren't deleted, BTW.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

agentsteel53

v'ger was banned for trolling and starting idiotic posts.  anyone remember "voyager's galactic b'bar"? (seriously.)  it just turned into a really nasty situation because he happened to have the forum admin controls. 

an analogy would be if rickmastfan went rogue; Alex has given him some admin access since he (rickmasfan) understands the phpBB the best - but it's always been Alex's forum, regardless of who has the associated technical knowledge.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

bugo

Quote from: InterstateNG on November 30, 2012, 02:37:52 PM
Then fucking leave.

Make me, bellend.

Post Merge: November 30, 2012, 04:29:06 PM

Why do you need to know?

Why should it be kept a secret?  I used to be a mod here, and there's definitely a snobbery associated with being a mod...some of them think they're better than the common posters.

Post Merge: November 30, 2012, 04:29:02 PM

Quote from: hbelkins on November 30, 2012, 03:37:34 PM

I was banned once and all it took was an email to Alex to reverse the decision. 

Post Merge: November 30, 2012, 04:28:57 PM

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 30, 2012, 04:03:28 PM
v'ger was banned for trolling and starting idiotic posts.  anyone remember "voyager's galactic b'bar"? (seriously.)  it just turned into a really nasty situation because he happened to have the forum admin controls. 

an analogy would be if rickmastfan went rogue; Alex has given him some admin access since he (rickmasfan) understands the phpBB the best - but it's always been Alex's forum, regardless of who has the associated technical knowledge.

It's not Alex's forum.  I asked him to become a mod last week (to protect myself from rogue mods) and he said he'd have to take a vote on it.  I figured he could do it himself but apparently he can't.

Post Merge: November 30, 2012, 04:28:53 PM

Why do you need to know?

It makes one think that they are hiding something.  This forum has become the go-to forum for all things road, and the moderators and owners have an obligation to be as neutral as they can.

InterstateNG

Quote from: bugo on November 30, 2012, 04:08:15 PM
Quote from: InterstateNG on November 30, 2012, 02:37:52 PM
Then fucking leave.

Make me, bellend.

I couldn't care less, bitch.

What are you, 12 years old?  Have fun driving around Tulsa in your Hyundai.  From the looks of it you're about to have a lot more free time.
I demand an apology.

bugo

LOL Huyndai.  I drive American cars.

If I get banned, I'll just get unbanned again.  Remember, aaroads was originally mine and Alex's idea.  I'm in contact with Alex about what is going on and he understands it.

deathtopumpkins

Topic locked. If we're just going to devolve to insulting each other there's no reason to let this continue any longer than it already has.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.