News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Unique Public Roadway Types

Started by KEK Inc., January 02, 2013, 08:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEK Inc.

I'm talking about what the road is actually called.  i.e., Avenue, Boulevard, Road, Street, Court, etc.

What are some unique ones?

I'll start off with WA-525:  Mukilteo Speedway.  It's a thouroughfare built as a bypass to go directly to Mukilteo and Whidbey Island from the freeways (I-5 and I-405).  Ironically enough, once you pass WA-99, there's lights and the speed limit is 25.   :pan:
Take the road less traveled.

NE2

Harlem River Driveway.

Fenway. Riverway. Arborway. Fellsway. Charlesgate.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Big John

In Green Bay, there is a road renamed early last decade to Brett Favre Pass.  After 2008, the signage is often vandalized to cover up or remove the "P"

cpzilliacus

Baltimore City, Maryland has a street called The Alameda (the southern end is Md. 542).

Richmond, Virginia has Boulevard (Va. 161).

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

theline

In South Bend, we have an Erskine Manor Hill. That's "Hill," instead of Avenue or Street. Here it is: http://goo.gl/maps/JmCdt

motorway

"Hill" is a common road type designation in the UK, and surprised it isn't used more often here. Also, there are several examples in New Jersey of a street being called just "Boulevard," Madonna-style.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: motorway on January 02, 2013, 09:17:44 PMAlso, there are several examples in New Jersey of a street being called just "Boulevard," Madonna-style.

There's one here in Bellingham as well.  Google Maps insists on calling it Boulevard Street though.

xcellntbuy

The Paseo may be unique in Kansas City, MO.  Our members may know otherwise.

1995hoo

There's a residential street in Charlottesville, across from the University of Virginia's Central Grounds, called "Gildersleeve Wood." I've always liked that name.

A residential street a few miles from my house is called simply "The Parkway." I laugh when I see it because my car's sat-nav, which omits road type designations (e.g., Constitution Avenue appears as just "Constitution"), displays it as merely "The."

I know of a "Tinner's Hill" in the City of Falls Church and a "Brockett's Crossing" in Fairfax County.

"Avenue Road" in Toronto confounded me when I first encountered it because I wondered whether it was a road named "Avenue" or an avenue named "Road."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

KEK Inc.

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 02, 2013, 09:02:03 PM
Baltimore City, Maryland has a street called The Alameda (the southern end is Md. 542).

Alameda can mean "tree-lined avenue" in Spanish (according to Google).  (The county and city in California probably refers to its polar grove meaning as well.)  There's a road in San Jose, CA, called 'The Alameda' as well. 

A similar popular one out in the west is 'The Embarcadero" which means wharf.  Oakland and San Francisco have these.

hbelkins

Hyden, Ky., home of former UK and NFL quarterback Tim Couch, has Tim Couch Pass. It's KY 118, the connector route between the Hal Rogers Parkway and US 421.

A subdivision outside Winchester, Ky. has Shalamar Rue and Lamond Ruelle.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

Waterfowl Flyway, in a Chesterfield subdivision called Woodland Pond.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

TheStranger

Although most reknowned for one specific example (El Camino Real), the usage of "Camino" as a road type is not uncommon in California (i.e. Camino Capistrano).

Which makes El Camino Avenue in Sacramento delightfully redundant.

In North Sacramento, the new (as of the early 2000s) road linking Garden Highway and Arden Way is the Arden-Garden Connector.
Chris Sampang

Ian

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

cpzilliacus

Columbia, Maryland has a slew of street names that are taken from English literature.  The signs in Columbia sometimes exclude the "type" of street, or there is not one at all.  Some examples:

Torrent Row

Jacob's Ladder

Billingsgate Row

Sunny Spring
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

mapman1071

Mesa Arizona
Outside of Major Mile Streets (University Dr, Broadway Rd ...ECT) Numbered Streets, Numbered Avenues, Center Street &  Main Street/Apache Trail, All named streets have no titles (Extension, Longmore, Horne ...ect)

mapman1071

How about some towns and cities in Utah
2300 North
1100 South
6500 West
2200 East

For Example

Scott5114

"2300 North" is just a Utah-ized way of saying "N. 23rd St.".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

KEK Inc.

Quote from: mapman1071 on January 03, 2013, 12:06:21 AM
How about some towns and cities in Utah
2300 North
1100 South
6500 West
2200 East

For Example

Most numbered streets and avenues are based off of the address grid.  I think it makes sense and makes getting around town easier.  If you want to go to 5922 15th Ave NE (arbritrary address -- I have no idea what it really is...) in Seattle, you'll know it's along 15th Ave NE between NE 59th St. and NE 60th St. without looking at a map.  I guess Utah skips making it a street and avenue and just numbers the road off of the addresses.

motorway

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 02, 2013, 09:43:20 PM
There's a residential street in Charlottesville, across from the University of Virginia's Central Grounds, called "Gildersleeve Wood." I've always liked that name.

Speaking of cool streets in university towns, the main drag in Cambridge, UK is called King's Parade (it runs past King's College)...always sounded very royally festive to me :).

1995hoo

Thought of two others:

"Cavalier Corridor" in the Lake Barcroft neighborhood in Fairfax County, Virginia.

"Rebel Run" is a street running past Fairfax High School in Fairfax City. The school's teams are called the Rebels.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Takumi

Similar to "Rebel Run", I know of a "Rebel Ridge", also in Chesterfield County.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hubcity

There's a number of "Slip"s in NYC, too.

Also, I know of a residential street in Jackson, NJ called "Rue Monet". (As if he'd ever done anything bad to them  ;-) )

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.