News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-88 / ILL-59 - First DDI in Illinois

Started by Brandon, January 18, 2013, 06:54:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Last night I went to a presentation on the proposed, soon to be under construction DDI at I-88 and IL-59 in Naperville, IL.  Basically, it will be a scaled-up version of what already exists at I-44 and MO-13 in Springfield, MO.  Here's a gory details:

There will be three separate bid areas for IL-59, one from New York St to North Aurora Rd, one from North Auora Rd to Diehl Rd, and one from Diehl Rd to Ferry Rd including the DDI.

There's a bit of history to the planning for this interchange.  Napeville had a Phase I Study performed in 2004 with the improvements presented in 2005.  In 2009, there was a public hearing on it.  In 2010, the concept was modified to a DDI with a public hearing on it in 2011.  The construction bids are to be let today (1/18/2013).  The estimated cost for the entire project is $92 million with $25 million of that being for the interchange.

The DDI will have 3 lanes maintained in each direction on IL-59 on two separate bridges over I-88.  Someone at IDOT must've gotten a clue because there will be no "No Turn On Red" for the right turns from I-88 onto IL-59.  All turns will be single lane except for the I-88 west to IL-59 south which will be two lanes.  The intersection at Diehl will be expanded to three lanes in each direction for IL-59 with dual left turn lanes.  I asked the presenter if this would pose a problem for the DDI as these signals will have be to carefully coordinated in order to keep traffic from backing up into the DDI.  I got the runaround regarding it.  Given IDOT's fetish of actuated signals, I sincerely doubt the signals will have the coordination necessary to make it work in the real world.  The models looked good, but remember, the DDI has two phases, the Diehl Rd intersection will have four phases.  We'll see how it really works.

IDOT is already studying for two more of these: I-90 and Elmhurst Rd (IL-83), and I-55 and Weber Rd.

Oh, I almost forgot, this DDI is being designed for a 25 mph design speed through the interchange.  A 25 mph design between two 45 mph zones.  :banghead:

modified title - I-59 doesn't come up this far north ;) ---sso
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

kphoger

The intersection of Diehl and Route 59 might function all right with all left turns prohibited, thereby allowing for two phases–or only certain lefts prohibited, allowing for three phases (I'm thinking specifically of allowing left-turning traffic from eastbound Diehl to northbound Route 59....can't forget about everyone eating at Cracker Barrel, can we?).  The Eola Rd and Winfield Rd interchanges are so close by, which is what made me think of it.  However, issues I see with this are that the intersection of Diehl and Winfield Rd already sees its fair share of traffic, and Raymond Rd (my favorite shortcut from Naperville Rd to Route 59) might need to see some improvements, espcially at its intersection with Diehl.  I say this because I assume those two intersections would see an increase in diverted traffic.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hobsini2

Ok this is a dumb question but I have no idea what you mean by a DDI. What is that?
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Big John

Quote from: hobsini2 on January 18, 2013, 10:10:39 PM
Ok this is a dumb question but I have no idea what you mean by a DDI. What is that?
Diverging Diamond Interchange  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diverging_diamond_interchange

Stratuscaster

I suggest Googling the topic - there are plenty of videos on the subject showing how it works.

In theory, they work pretty well. I share Brandon's concerns about the proximity of the Diehl Rd/IL-59 intersection to the south and how they'll manage the coordination of the lights with the DDI.

Not to mention that it's a pretty tight squeeze at Diehl Rd now as far as ROW goes. IL-59 has 2 lanes, a right turn lane, and a left turn lane in each direction - I'm not seeing a whole lot of room to squeeze another 4 lanes in there without taking a lot of land from the businesses along IL-59 in that spot, and even south of there towards North Aurora Rd there's not all that much space.

Then there's the Metra/rail crossing south of North Aurora Rd to widen. Not that it won't be welcome, that stretch between New York Rd/Aurora Av and North Aurora Rd bottlenecks with traffic all the time.

Next thiing you know iDOT will want to ditch the 10 million a mile empty 4 lane divided downstate for Missouri empty 3 lane divided roads for 2 million a mile.
They still yockin it up at IDOT on ole backward MO?

kphoger

I actually dreamt about this project last night.  You might be a roadgeek, I guess....

Quote from: Stratuscaster on January 18, 2013, 10:29:36 PM
Not to mention that it's a pretty tight squeeze at Diehl Rd now as far as ROW goes. IL-59 has 2 lanes, a right turn lane, and a left turn lane in each direction - I'm not seeing a whole lot of room to squeeze another 4 lanes in there without taking a lot of land from the businesses along IL-59 in that spot, and even south of there towards North Aurora Rd there's not all that much space.

It's been quite a few years since I was in the area, but I don't recall the area around I-88/Route 59 being the most booming of areas.  In my memory, it was just That Stretch You Drive Through Between Fox River and the Tollway.  Maybe things have picked up, or maybe I had a false impression.  But, if not, acquiring some of the aforementioned property might not so difficult.  And there's certainly plenty of room on the east side of Route 59 between Diehl and I-88, and lots of room north of I-88.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on January 19, 2013, 06:17:23 PM
I actually dreamt about this project last night.  You might be a roadgeek, I guess....

Quote from: Stratuscaster on January 18, 2013, 10:29:36 PM

It's been quite a few years since I was in the area, but I don't recall the area around I-88/Route 59 being the most booming of areas.  In my memory, it was just That Stretch You Drive Through Between Fox River and the Tollway.  Maybe things have picked up, or maybe I had a false impression.  But, if not, acquiring some of the aforementioned property might not so difficult.  And there's certainly plenty of room on the east side of Route 59 between Diehl and I-88, and lots of room north of I-88.

Not anymore there isn't.  It's all filled in with businesses and houses along IL-59.  There isn't much open useful land on IL-59 between New York Street and I-88 for IL-59.  North of I-88 has space.  IDOT would have to take from the office building on the NE corner of Diehl and IL-59 to significantly widen IL-59 there.  It can be done, but they'd have to buy the land - $$$$.  http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=41.801551,-88.204122&spn=0.012237,0.01929&t=h&z=16
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

kphoger

Well, yeah, it's obviously someone's land, and would require purchase.  But it's not like they'd have to raze the building, right (which might have to happen with a cloverleaf)?  Same thing on the west side of the road:  even though there's less land between parking and the roadway, and even though there's a greater difference in elevation, I still don't see it being a huge obstacle to widening the road.  It's mainly south of Diehl where businesses are close to the road; even there, I just see the necessity to get rid of some green space between parking and roadway.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

p.s.   They just need to make 59 a freeway from Ferry Rd to south of 75th.   :biggrin:

I've thought so for years.
Male pronouns, please.

Stratuscaster

The "Naperville Sprawl" has indeed reached all the way up to the south side of I-88 at IL-59.

The SW corner of Diehl and 59 has a Mobil station, the SE corner has a Red Roof Inn, and then there are strip malls on both sides for a bit, then more strip malls on the east side and apartment complexes and homes on the west side.

"That Stretch You Drive Through Between Fox River and the Tollway?"  I might not be understanding you there - 59 doesn't cross the Fox River (aside from crossing Fox Lake way up north of I-88...)

About the only other thing they could do at 59/88 is pull an "Eola Rd" and put in exits off I-88 to Ferry on the north and Diehl on the south.

The plans mention 3 through lanes and 2 left turn lanes on 59 at Diehl. Presuming they keep the existing right-hand turn lanes - that's another 4 lanes to cram in there. And if the goal is to make 59 3 lanes each way from I-88 south to the existing 3 lanes south of North Aurora Road, that's a lot of green space to eat up.

Stratuscaster

Quote from: kphoger on January 19, 2013, 08:17:32 PM
p.s.   They just need to make 59 a freeway from Ferry Rd to south of 75th.   :biggrin:

I've thought so for years.
Hello Fox Valley Expressway. ;) Let's use 59...wait, let's use Randall...no wait, let's use 47...no wait...how about the Prairie Parkway...no....well, crap, we're no longer in the Fox Valley...

kphoger

Quote from: Stratuscaster on January 19, 2013, 08:22:30 PM
"That Stretch You Drive Through Between Fox River and the Tollway?"  I might not be understanding you there - 59 doesn't cross the Fox River (aside from crossing Fox Lake way up north of I-88...)

Sorry, meant to say Fox Valley.  As in the area around 59 & Ogden.
Male pronouns, please.

Stratuscaster

Quote from: kphoger on January 19, 2013, 09:28:01 PM
Ah - now it makes perfect sense.

59 has really built up over the last few years - even the section between Fox Valley and I-55 is no longer "nowhere-land." City of Joliet actually extended it's borders in one small spot to around 59...can't recall immediately where.

Brandon

Quote from: Stratuscaster on January 19, 2013, 10:30:57 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 19, 2013, 09:28:01 PM
Ah - now it makes perfect sense.

59 has really built up over the last few years - even the section between Fox Valley and I-55 is no longer "nowhere-land." City of Joliet actually extended it's borders in one small spot to around 59...can't recall immediately where.

Joliet's borders actually go all the way out west along Caton Farm Road to about 1/4 mile west of Grove Road, well into Kendall County (and wrap south back south of Black Road along Ridge Road).  North of Joliet (between 1 mile south of Theodore Street and the DuPage River on IL-59) is Plainfield (DuPage River to 199th Street), followed by Naperville (north of 119th Street).  To the south is Shorewood (1 mile south of Theordore Street to I-55 - The Target is the north end of Shorewood there).

hobsini2

59 between 95th and 143rd Sts is currently a fine 4 lane divided highway but will likely need to be upgraded too to 6 lanes in the next 10 or so years with all the building going on south of 103rd St.

Of course we wouldn't have this problem with 59 in Naperville if the damn NIMBYs in Warrenville and West Chicago didn't kill the Fox Valley Expy project almost 20 years ago.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Stratuscaster

Quote from: hobsini2 on January 20, 2013, 02:19:56 PM
Of course we wouldn't have this problem with 59 in Naperville if the damn NIMBYs in Warrenville and West Chicago didn't kill the Fox Valley Expy project almost 20 years ago.
Don't blame me, I only moved to Warrenville about 15 months ago... ;)

Could have maybe bypassed the two to the west, if it weren't for the DuPage Airport and Fermilab in the way... :P

Brandon

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.