Interstate 55 vastly replaced the routing of U.S. 66 northeast from St. Louis to Springfield, Bloomington-Normal, and Wilmington while en route to Chicago. The freeway directly overlaid many portions of four-lane U.S. 66, with sections of the route relegated to frontage roads or as business loops through cities bypassed by the freeway. Within Chicago, Interstate 55 follows the Stephenson Expressway through to a northern terminus at U.S. 41 (Lake Shore Drive) off of Lake Michigan.
Tri-level stack interchanges lie east of the Poplar Street Bridge, joining Interstates 55 & 64 with Illinois 3 from Sauget to the south and a freeway stub (unconstructed U.S. 460) into East St. Louis. Photo taken June 1, 2011.
Interstate 55 was finished in Illinois with the completion of the Dwight bypass of old U.S. 66 in 1980.1
The interchange between Interstate 55 and Veterans Parkway (Business Loop I-55) on the north side of Bloomington was revamped over a two year period betewen 2002 and October 2004. A $37-million project reconfigured the interchange from a directional interchange with a left-hand ramp from Interstate 55 south to Veterans Parkway south into a six-ramp partial-cloverleaf interchange. This added access to Pipeline Road north from I-55 south.2
Interstate 55 Illinois Highway Guides
- Interstates 55 North & 70 East
- Interstate 55 North - I-70 to Springfield
- Interstate 55 North - Springfield to Bloomington
- Interstate 55 South - Bloomington to Springfield
- Interstate 55 South - Springfield to I-70
- Interstates 55 South & 70 West
|Interstate 55 scenes|
|Toronto Road intersects 6th Street Frontage Road immediately east of the diamond interchange with Interstate 55 in Springfield. The frontage road system of I-55 more or less acts as Historic U.S. 66 through to Lake Springfield. Photo taken 12/20/09.|
- "INTERSTATES CELEBRATE 40 YEARS // FAST TRACK FOR AMERICA OR LOSS OF AMERICANA?" Pantagraph, The (Bloomington, IL), June 23, 1996.
- "Veterans revamp finished - Center Street bridge also completed." Pantagraph, The (Bloomington, IL), October 4, 2004.
2009-12-20 by AARoads
Page Updated 12-08-2014.