Interstate 85 begins in Montgomery and travels east and north 80 miles to the Chattahoochee River at Lanett. Suburban growth extends east along the freeway to Exit 16 in Montgomery County and again through the Auburn and Opelika area. The bulk of the route otherwise is rural with four overall lanes.
Exit 50 with Cox Road in western Auburn opened to traffic on November 29, 2012. The $18.3 million project serves Auburn Technology Park, western reaches of the city and football traffic during Auburn University home games.1 Construction on the federally funded project was to begin between October 2003 and October 2004 and endure for about two years.2 However work did not commence until January 2011.
16.4 miles of Interstate 85 opened between Shorter (Exit 22) and Alabama 81 (Exit 38) in 1965.3
Interstate 85 Alabama Highway Guides
- Interstate 85 North - Montgomery & Macon Counties
- Interstate 85 North - Lee & Chambers Counties
- Interstate 85 South - Chambers & Lee Counties
- Interstate 85 South - Macon & Montgomery Counties
- Interstate 85 Archive - South
|Day Street Connector eastbound|
|Day Street eastbound at the ramp partition for Interstate 65 & 85 northbound. There is no access to Interstate 65 southbound. Photo taken 08/22/03.|
|Shield assembly at the gore point of the Day Street connector eastbound. The high flyover carries Interstate 85 southbound traffic onto Interstate 65 southbound. The bridges below carry the mainline of Interstate 65. Photo taken 08/22/03.|
|Scenes Related to Interstate 85|
|Court Street southbound at the Interstate 85 southbound frontage road. Interstate 85 is suppressed below the overpass ahead. Photo taken 08/22/03.|
|The final on-ramp to Interstate 85 southbound. Traffic that turns west from Court Street (pictured in the above photograph) enters the final mile of the freeway here. Photo taken 08/22/03.|
|A closer look at the Interstate 65 and 85 Alabama shield assembly at the Court and Union Streets southbound on-ramp. Photo taken 08/22/03.|
- "New I-85 Interchange in Auburn Completed and Open to Traffic." ALDOT Press Release, November 29, 2012.
- "Auburn plans new interchange off Interstate 85," Mobile Register. May 4, 2003.
- "61 Miles of Interstate Will Open During 1965." Times Daily (Florence, AL), May 11, 1965.
2003-08-22 by AARoads and Justin Cozart
Page Updated 02-19-2016.