Interstate 295 provides an eastern bypass of both Petersburg and Richmond. Speed limits are posted at 70 miles per hour on the 28-mile stretch between Petersburg and Interstate 64 east of Richmond and most of the road carries at least six lanes of travel. Limits were increased during summer 2010.1
Construction on the route started in 1976 at Mechanicsville with the final 9.8-mile stretch between Virginia 36 and Interstate 95, southeast of Petersburg, open to traffic on June 25, 1992. For more history of the route, see the Interstate Guide for Interstate 295 Virginia.
Interstate 295 Virginia Highway Guides
- Interstate 295 North (Petersburg to Seven Pines)
- Interstate 295 North (Seven Pines to Short Pump)
- Interstate 295 South (Short Pump to Seven Pines)
- Interstate 295 South (Seven Pines to Petersburg)
- "70 mph now legal on I-95 between Hanover, Spotsylvania exits." Richmond Times-Dispatch, December 6, 2010.
Page Updated 11-02-2012.