Freeway entrance shield assembly posted at the transition ramp between Lincoln Avenue (former U.S. 91) east and California 55 north. Photo taken 01/30/05.
California 55 is the Newport (Costa Mesa) Freeway, originating at the California 1 junction in Newport Beach, then heading northeast through Costa Mesa, Santa Ana, Irvine, and Tustin. At Tustin, California 55 meets Interstate 5, then turns due north to pass through Orange, culminating at California 91 in Anaheim.
California 55 Highway Guide
Key Opening Dates of California 55:
- Finley Avenue to 17th Street - Circa 1936
- 17th Street to Harbor Boulevard - Circa 1936 (widened April 14, 1992)
- Harbor Boulevard to Fairview Road - October 9, 1992
- Fairview Road to Santa Isabel - May 9, 1991 (widened October 9, 1992)
- Santa Isabel to Mesa Drive - May 9, 1991
- Mesa Drive to Pal-Bristol - January 24, 1977
- Pal-Bristol to Delhi Channel Bridge - June 19, 1973
- Delhi Channel Bridge to Interstate 405 - Circa 1936 (widened June 26, 1970)
- Interstate 405 to Dyer Road - Circa 1936 (widened December 27, 1985)
- Dyer Road to McFadden Street - Circa 1936 (widened March 15, 1990)
- McFadden Street to Interstate 5 - Circa 1936 (widened June 26, 1970)
- Interstate 5 to CHP Enforcement in Median - Circa 1962 (widened August 31, 1993)
- CHP Enforcement in Median to La Veta Avenue - Circa 1962 (widened June 26, 1970)
- La Veta Avenue to Chapman Avenue - Circa 1962 (widened June 15, 1971)
- Chapman Avenue to Lincoln Avenue - Circa 1961 (widened June 26, 1970)
- Lincoln Avenue to California 91 - Circa 1962 (widened April 25, 1971)
Many thanks to C.J. Moon for his assistance in providing this historical chronology.
|California 55 scenes|
|A pair of neutered California 55 south freeway entrance shield assemblies are posted on westbound MacArthur Boulevard in Santa Ana (at Exit 7). Photo taken 10/29/09.|
|This California 55 and California 405 guide sign is posted on eastbound Sunflower Avenue prior to the Bristol Street intersection. This sign, which appears to be posted by either the cities of Costa Mesa or Santa Ana, erroneously refers to Interstate 405 as California 405. Sunflower Avenue serves as the border between Costa Mesa to the south and Santa Ana to the north. Photo taken 10/29/09.|
|This California 55 north freeway entrance shield assembly is posted at Exit 17, Lincoln Avenue. Photo taken 09/16/00.|
Page Updated September 17, 2010.