Northbound California 111 approaches California 98 in Calexico. Turn left for California 98 west to San Diego, turn right for California 98 east to Yuma, or proceed ahead on California 111 north to El Centro, Brawley, and Indio. Photo taken 01/27/06.
Beginning at the U.S.-Mexico International Border Crossing, California 111 begins in Calexico and travels north through the heart of the Imperial Valley to serve the cities of El Centro and Brawley. Most of this route is four-lane expressway with some freeway-like segments. Joining California 78 at Brawley, California 111 briefly takes the Brawley Bypass, then departs north to follow the eastern shore of the Salton Sea toward Calipatria, Bombay Beach, and Mecca. The highway is mostly a two-lane rural highway along this route, as most through traffic transitions onto the California 86 corridor at Brawley. Upon reaching Coachella and Indio, California 111 turns northwest and west to serve Coachella Valley cities such as Indian Wells, La Quinta, Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage, Cathedral City, and Palm Springs. Most of the route through these cities was transferred to local control between 2000 and 2012. However, an extant state-maintained segment carries California 111 from Palm Springs to meet Interstate 10 near the San Gorgonio Pass.
California 111 Business
In Palm Springs, California 111 splits into California 111 Business via Palm Canyon Drive and regular California 111 via Gene Autry Trail and Vista Chino. The business route is not very well-signed.
California 111 Highway Guides
- Imperial County: Calexico to Interstate 8
- Imperial County: Interstate 8 to Brawley
- Imperial County: Brawley to Riverside County Line
- Riverside County: Imperial County Line to Indio
- Riverside County: Indio to Cathedral City
- Riverside County: Cathedral City to Interstate 10
- Riverside County: Interstate 10 to Cathedral City
- Riverside County: Cathedral City to Indio
- Riverside County: Indio to Imperial County Line
- Imperial County: Riverside County Line to Brawley
- Imperial County: Brawley to Interstate 8
- Imperial County: Interstate 8 to Calexico
- California 111 Business - Palm Springs
This view shows California 111 just south of Mecca as it proceeds toward the Salton Sea State Recreation Area and Niland. Most of California 111 between Mecca and Calipatria is a two-lane, rural highway that follows the eastern shore of the Salton Sea. Photo taken 05/07/06.
Page Updated May 26, 2013.