News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawk07

According to the Wilmington Star-News, the N.C. Department of Transportation will open the southern section of the U.S. 17 Wilmington Bypass, also known as Interstate 140, on Thursday.  The completion date for the entire Bypass is late in 2017.

jakeroot

Quote from: hawk07 on October 15, 2014, 01:12:02 PM

Be careful about adjusting the subject line. From what I've been told, we try not to do that.

bob7374

Quote from: hawk07 on October 15, 2014, 01:12:02 PM
According to the Wilmington Star-News, the N.C. Department of Transportation will open the southern section of the U.S. 17 Wilmington Bypass, also known as Interstate 140, on Thursday.  The completion date for the entire Bypass is late in 2017.
The link to the story: http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20141015/ARTICLES/141019822/1092/ARTICLES?Title=Southern-section-of-Wilmington-bypass-to-open

The new section will be signed as NC 140 until the next segment is completed in 2017.

Alex

FYI, when I drove southbound along Interstate 95 through NC on Sunday night, signs for Future I-295 were greened out to reflect NC 295.

WashuOtaku

NC 140 between Winnabow and Leland opened today, that is all.   :spin:

Thing 342

Quote from: Alex on October 16, 2014, 09:04:55 AM
FYI, when I drove southbound along Interstate 95 through NC on Sunday night, signs for Future I-295 were greened out to reflect NC 295.
Those were there when I drove through in early Spetember.

Strider

Does everyone have pictures of the newly opened section of NC 140?

geocachingpirate

Dave Thompson (Facebook poster on The Charlotte Observer)-
"They should have a ceremonial opening at which all employees of the NCDOT must wear paper bags over their heads."

jcarte29

Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

DSS5

Quote from: jcarte29 on November 13, 2014, 05:39:02 PM
Quote from: geocachingpirate on November 07, 2014, 11:15:18 PM
http://www.wxii12.com/news/contract-awarded-for-first-leg-of-winstonsalem-northern-beltway/29597882

My prediction for when all of the beltway is completed:  May 2032

I'll take $5 dollars for the OVER on that.

Who wants to place bets on when the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway will be started?

DeaconG

Quote from: DSS5 on November 19, 2014, 10:20:27 PM
Quote from: jcarte29 on November 13, 2014, 05:39:02 PM
Quote from: geocachingpirate on November 07, 2014, 11:15:18 PM
http://www.wxii12.com/news/contract-awarded-for-first-leg-of-winstonsalem-northern-beltway/29597882

My prediction for when all of the beltway is completed:  May 2032

I'll take $5 dollars for the OVER on that.

Who wants to place bets on when the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway will be started?

Probably before they start tolling I-95.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

WashuOtaku

Quote from: DeaconG on November 20, 2014, 08:13:54 PM
Probably before they start tolling I-95.

The whole tolling I-95 discussion seems to have gone away in the last year.  The current STIPs identify all of I-95 needing widening, but not to be funded by tolls.  I guess their was simply no political support for it. 

DSS5

Still waiting for news on when in 2015 the Business 40 shutdown will happen in Winston.

Third Strike

Looks like the Charlotte region is going to have some pretty big projects going on in the next ten years (mostly funded by toll roads). They are:

I-77 South. The road will be widen by four toll lanes, along with replacing most of the bridges for the needed ROW. Construction is slated to start around 2024.

I-85 in Rowan County and in Gaston County. The road will be widened to eight lane highway between Lane Street and US 29/US 601 Connector in Rowan County, and as well in Gaston County between US 321 and NC 273. This will make I-85 an eight lane highway through much of the metro Charlotte area, and will also make the road consistently eight/six lanes between Gastonia to Hillsborough.

I-485 in South Charlotte. The remainder of the road between Rea Road and US 74 will be widened to a total of eight lanes, with two of those lanes being toll lanes. This project will also add toll lanes to the existing section of I-485 that was just widened (the two lanes are currently being used as a large shoulder), and adding two lanes for tolls between US 521 and Rea Road. Construction could start as soon as 2018.

US 74 in Southeast Charlotte. The road will be converted to a controlled access highway, and the major intersections will be grade separated for over/underpasses. The two inner lanes will be used as toll/express bus lanes. Construction is slated to start around 2022, though conversion of the existing busway to reversible toll lanes, from Uptown Charlotte to NC-24/27, could start as soon as 2017.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Third Strike on December 05, 2014, 07:03:10 PM
Looks like the Charlotte region is going to have some pretty big projects going on in the next ten years (mostly funded by toll roads). They are:

I-77 South. The road will be widen by four toll lanes, along with replacing most of the bridges for the needed ROW. Construction is slated to start around 2024.

I-85 in Rowan County and in Gaston County. The road will be widened to eight lane highway between Lane Street and US 29/US 601 Connector in Rowan County, and as well in Gaston County between US 321 and NC 273. This will make I-85 an eight lane highway through much of the metro Charlotte area, and will also make the road consistently eight/six lanes between Gastonia to Hillsborough.

I-485 in South Charlotte. The remainder of the road between Rea Road and US 74 will be widened to a total of eight lanes, with two of those lanes being toll lanes. This project will also add toll lanes to the existing section of I-485 that was just widened (the two lanes are currently being used as a large shoulder), and adding two lanes for tolls between US 521 and Rea Road. Construction could start as soon as 2018.

US 74 in Southeast Charlotte. The road will be converted to a controlled access highway, and the major intersections will be grade separated for over/underpasses. The two inner lanes will be used as toll/express bus lanes. Construction is slated to start around 2022, though conversion of the existing busway to reversible toll lanes, from Uptown Charlotte to NC-24/27, could start as soon as 2017.

US 74 (between Sardis Road and I-485) will be a freeway/expressway... in other words, there will be interchanges but still have access to business like the already existing section.

Third Strike

Looking at the scope of work for that section of US 74 in the NCDOT STI pdf, it notes that they want to build the road with full control access, rather than partial. Considering that parallel roads will be built along side Independence as part of the project, it doesn't make much sense to allow businesses access to the road, when they will be connected with side roads.

cpzilliacus

WNCN.COM: McCrory to propose new NC road-building sources

QuoteGov. Pat McCrory and North Carolina legislators praised each other for the new method they approved last year to fund transportation projects they say is based not on who you know but more on reducing gridlock and creating jobs.

QuoteThe result, the state Department of Transportation says, is efficiencies to fund 300 additional projects in its first 10-year road-building proposal released this month under new evaluation formulas.

Quote"Everybody understood that we needed to get politics out of the road and transportation decision-making business," Transportation Secretary Tony Tata said.

QuoteThere will be new political pressure in 2015 upon GOP legislative leaders and the Republican governor to locate tens of billions of dollars over the next generation to pay for needed but yet-funded projects. McCrory has said he'll offer options and a recommendation early next year. The gap between anticipated transportation funds and needs was estimated two years ago through the early 2040s from $32 billion to $60 billion.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

PColumbus73

When I was driving through NC back in October, I was going through some construction zones and keeps seeing signs that read ROAD UNDER CONST. I've never seen that sign before anywhere else.

P.S.- I hope NCDOT finds a way to make it easier to get through Winston-Salem. Trying to get from US 52 to Eastbound Business 40 or I-40 is a nightmare!

D-Dey65

Quote from: Alex on October 16, 2014, 09:04:55 AM
I saw that when I went up in November. I stayed in this cheap hotel at the end of it, and started talking to the hotel clerk about the removal or the I-295 shields, and she thought it contributed to the inability to draw customers to the place.

The hotel was damn nearly a roach motel (not the most stable balcony), but the clerk was a gorgeous woman. If she had been willing, I would've invited her to my room that night.

cpzilliacus

Does anyone know if the Blue Ridge Parkway (all of which is maintained by the National Park Service) has a state route number in North Carolina?

It is Va. 48 north of the state line.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

dfilpus

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 28, 2014, 05:58:07 PM
Does anyone know if the Blue Ridge Parkway (all of which is maintained by the National Park Service) has a state route number in North Carolina?

Nothing public. NCDOT documents only refer to it as Blue Ridge Parkway.

broadhurst04

Why would VA bother to assign a number to a road they didn't build and are not responsible for?

Thing 342

Quote from: broadhurst04 on December 28, 2014, 10:37:47 PM

Why would VA bother to assign a number to a road they didn't build and are not responsible for?

I believe (though someone else will probably correct me on this) that the VA-48 designation is used for describing the right-of-way around the BRP and Skyline Drive that the NPS maintains, as all references to it in CTB notes are related to land transactions. 

The Nature Boy

Quote from: broadhurst04 on December 28, 2014, 10:37:47 PM

The Baltimore-Washington Parkway is an unsigned Maryland 295 for the first bit of its route. It's an easy way to refer to the highway within state documents and communication.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: dfilpus on December 28, 2014, 06:47:13 PM

Nothing public. NCDOT documents only refer to it as Blue Ridge Parkway.

Ditto.  North Carolina doesn't have a state highway assigned to the route, it's just the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.