News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 22

Started by Snappyjack, January 26, 2009, 11:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avalanchez71

Tennessee is fiscally fit and we do not deficit spend on highways.  We are at this time sort of a maintenance only state. 

Molandfreak

I-22 should replace I-555 if/when I-30/57 is extended. No reason to end it at a beltway south of somewhere when there's another freeway in it's trajectory.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

aboges26

Quote from: Molandfreak on May 27, 2015, 02:01:49 AM
I-22 should replace I-555 if/when I-30/57 is extended. No reason to end it at a beltway south of somewhere when there's another freeway in it's trajectory.

Why not extend I-22 further still to Kansas City, maybe even Lincoln, Nebraska!

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: aboges26 on June 16, 2015, 02:06:02 AM

Because that would make the freeway north south. Also the reason it ends at a beltway is because Tennesee doesn't want to extend I-22.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

froggie

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2Also the reason it ends at a beltway is because Tennesee can't afford to rip up half of southeast Memphis along Lamar Blvd to extend I-22.

FTFY.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 26, 2015, 06:52:56 PM
Tennessee is fiscally fit and we do not deficit spend on highways.  We are at this time sort of a maintenance only state.

You guys are building I-269 tho.

mvak36

Maybe in the very, very, very distant future to KC.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

lordsutch

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on June 16, 2015, 09:41:59 AM

Barely. Arguably the most important part of the I-69 system for the Memphis region (Memphis to north of Covington, straddling SIUs 8 and 9) is not really a priority.

That said, I-22 along the Lamar corridor is doable, even north of where the fully-controlled access eventually will end at Winchester. The trouble is the cost-benefit ratio, since most traffic on the US 78 corridor through that area is either local or its destination or origination point is along US 78 - a lot of the "through" Memphis-Birmingham interstate traffic already avoids the corridor. By distributing that traffic better on its way to and from the metropolitan area, I-269 is/will be actually probably a better terminus than I-240 would be, leaving the remaining US 78/TN 4 section as a local access route for the warehouse/distribution corridor.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: lordsutch on June 16, 2015, 12:22:36 PM
Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on June 16, 2015, 09:41:59 AM

Barely. Arguably the most important part of the I-69 system for the Memphis region (Memphis to north of Covington, straddling SIUs 8 and 9) is not really a priority.

That said, I-22 along the Lamar corridor is doable, even north of where the fully-controlled access eventually will end at Winchester. The trouble is the cost-benefit ratio, since most traffic on the US 78 corridor through that area is either local or its destination or origination point is along US 78 - a lot of the "through" Memphis-Birmingham interstate traffic already avoids the corridor. By distributing that traffic better on its way to and from the metropolitan area, I-269 is/will be actually probably a better terminus than I-240 would be, leaving the remaining US 78/TN 4 section as a local access route for the warehouse/distribution corridor.

True. But you still are building I-269 a little bit. I-69 in Tennesee will probably be finished by 2040.

Molandfreak

I'm not advocating building new freeways for the sake of extending I-22, I'm advocating that since I-22 is being built to serve a specific connection, it needs to be a complete connection, not a half-assed one like I-70 ending at the Baltimore Beltway. The best way to do that is to make it concurrent with other freeways until it meets the freeway completing it's trajectory, which is future I-555.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: Molandfreak on June 16, 2015, 01:27:49 PM
I'm not advocating building new freeways for the sake of extending I-22, I'm advocating that since I-22 is being built to serve a specific connection, it needs to be a complete connection, not a half-assed one like I-70 ending at the Baltimore Beltway. The best way to do that is to make it concurrent with other freeways until it meets the freeway completing it's trajectory, which is future I-555.

I-22 should end at the I-55/I-69/I-269 junction. It wouldn't require building even more freeway than is already being built.

hbelkins

That would require a new bridge. AFAIK there are no plans to build a new bridge between Memphis and Dyersburg.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

rte66man

Quote from: hbelkins on June 16, 2015, 07:24:41 PM

That would require a new bridge. AFAIK there are no plans to build a new bridge between Memphis and Dyersburg.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3523.0
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

rcm195

Just some stray thoughts. I have come through the I-22/I-65 interchange the past two weekends. I see no one working. I see no sense of urgency. This fantasy ALDOT keeps putting on al.com for example about an August completion date is fantasy itself. I'm not sure this project is completed this time next year. I hope I'm wrong, but it seems this project is going nowhere fast.

Charles2

Quote from: rcm195 on June 21, 2015, 03:46:34 PM
Just some stray thoughts. I have come through the I-22/I-65 interchange the past two weekends. I see no one working. I see no sense of urgency. This fantasy ALDOT keeps putting on al.com for example about an August completion date is fantasy itself. I'm not sure this project is completed this time next year. I hope I'm wrong, but it seems this project is going nowhere fast.

They haven't said August of which year.   :-D

This article was posted on al.com last week.  ALDOT is now giving off the impression that they're getting down to cases.  I don't necessarily believe it, either.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/06/aldot_warns_of_major_delays_on.html

rcm195

Good one.

I was hoping I would still be young enough to drive before this project was finished. Oh well, maybe my great-great grandchildren will live to see it finished.😠

Tourian

Quote from: rcm195 on June 21, 2015, 03:46:34 PM

Was it a Sunday? I've been through it several times in the past few weeks and I've seen more activity on it now then I ever have. This morning on the local news they announced delays on 65 because of work.

rcm195

Granted, it was on a Sunday the past two weekends I've been through. I just don't see much progress. Hey, I'll be the first to admit if I'm wrong, and be glad to. So I'm just asking this question, does anyone think they can be completely finished by the end of August?

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: rcm195 on June 23, 2015, 09:53:28 PM
Granted, it was on a Sunday the past two weekends I've been through. I just don't see much progress. Hey, I'll be the first to admit if I'm wrong, and be glad to. So I'm just asking this question, does anyone think they can be completely finished by the end of August Of 2040?

FTFY

Tourian

Quote from: rcm195 on June 23, 2015, 09:53:28 PM
Granted, it was on a Sunday the past two weekends I've been through. I just don't see much progress. Hey, I'll be the first to admit if I'm wrong, and be glad to. So I'm just asking this question, does anyone think they can be completely finished by the end of August?

I believe it will be ready by the end of August. I don't really care to get in to what "completely finished" means or entails, so I'll leave that up to all to witty critics to joke about. I believe you'll be able to drive on it to and fro in all possible directions when they claim it will be ready.

Charles2

I drove through there Monday morning.  My guess is, it will be ready by October of this year.  I just don't see how they can get everything finished in 68 days (that would be 8/31/15).

Wayward Memphian

I would not do that. Instead, I would route a further westward 1-22 to Northwest Arkansas and then to Tulsa via US 63 and then US412. KC would be easily connected via travel on interstate quality US 65 through Springfield Mo, I-44 to Joplin where it would met I-49 or via I-49 in Northwest Arkansas. It is distinctly more east/west that way. This help promote a new Mississippi Bridge crossing athat would connect terminus of I 269/I 69 in Millington TN and the I-555  and I-55 intersection at Turrell AR.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on June 25, 2015, 11:35:59 AM

I would not do that. Instead, I would route a further westward 1-22 to Northwest Arkansas and then to Tulsa via US 63 and then US412. KC would be easily connected via travel on interstate quality US 65 through Springfield Mo, I-44 to Joplin where it would met I-49 or via I-49 in Northwest Arkansas. It is distinctly more east/west that way. This help promote a new Mississippi Bridge crossing athat would connect terminus of I 269/I 69 in Millington TN and the I-555  and I-55 intersection at Turrell AR.

If you did that you could use I-555 and the US 412 freeway/Cherokee turnpike. And actually you could further extend it to I-35 via the Sand Springs expressway/Cimarron turnpike.

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on June 25, 2015, 12:34:34 PM

I would not do that. Instead, I would route a further westward 1-22 to Northwest Arkansas and then to Tulsa via US 63 and then US412. KC would be easily connected via travel on interstate quality US 65 through Springfield Mo, I-44 to Joplin where it would met I-49 or via I-49 in Northwest Arkansas. It is distinctly more east/west that way. This help promote a new Mississippi Bridge crossing that would connect terminus of I 269/I 69 in Millington TN and the I-555  and I-55 intersection at Turrell AR.

If you did that you could use I-555 and the US 412 freeway/Cherokee turnpike. And actually you could further extend it to I-35 via the Sand Springs expressway/Cimarron turnpike.

Yep, all the way to I-35.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on June 25, 2015, 01:53:50 PM
Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on June 25, 2015, 12:34:34 PM

I would not do that. Instead, I would route a further westward 1-22 to Northwest Arkansas and then to Tulsa via US 63 and then US412. KC would be easily connected via travel on interstate quality US 65 through Springfield Mo, I-44 to Joplin where it would met I-49 or via I-49 in Northwest Arkansas. It is distinctly more east/west that way. This help promote a new Mississippi Bridge crossing that would connect terminus of I 269/I 69 in Millington TN and the I-555  and I-55 intersection at Turrell AR.

Yep, all the way to I-35.

That could make for a very worthwhile long-distance route serving Tusla.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.