News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 22

Started by Snappyjack, January 26, 2009, 11:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcm195

Just wondering if anyone will be at the ribbon cutting? If so how about some pictures!

codyg1985

I wished I could be there. :(

Too much going on with work.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

GreenLanternCorps

I would liked to have seen video of both the ceremony and the first cars to use it.

Unlike the recent I-69 opening in Indiana this is a major intersection in a larger city.  I would liked to have seen how much traffic started using the interchange when it opened.

codyg1985

They are steaming the ribbon cutting live here right now: http://abc3340.com/news/local/corridor-x-opens-today
Cody Goodman

TrevorB

There it is! (screenshots from ABC 33/40 live stream)

rcm195

Yea, but is it open to traffic yet?

codyg1985

Cody Goodman

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: TrevorB on June 20, 2016, 11:50:10 AM
There it is! (screenshots from ABC 33/40 live stream)

Looks like they did the ribbon cutting on the stretch that will eventually connect to US 31.  Do we have an ETA as to when that section might be complete?

jdb1234

Just got back from driving it.  Didn't make it to the ribbon cutting cerimony, but drove soon after it opened.  I did take pictures, will post them later.

codyg1985

Cody Goodman

CobaltYoshi27

Looks like Google Maps also updated to have I-22 signs across the highway, all the way to the Mississippi/Tennessee border.
I's traveled:
10(TX) 20(TX) 24(TN) 30(TX) 35(TX) 40(TN) 45(TX) 64(KY-VA) 65(TN-KY) 66(VA-DC) 68(WV-MD) 69(TX) 70(IN-MD) 71(OH) 75(TN-MI) 76(OH-NJ) 77(VA-OH) 78(PA-NJ) 79(WV-PA) 80(OH-NJ) 81(TN-NY) 83(MD-PA) 84(NY-MA) 86(PA-NY) 87(NY) 88(NY) 89(NH-VT) 90(OH-MA) 91(CT-VT) 93(MA-NH) 95(NC-MA) 99(PA)

Charles2

I went out and drove the new section this afternoon.  I've gotta admit...I never thought I'd see it completed.

A few observations:
1) Why does Alabama insist on using those dorky blue/white shields for U.S. 78?  I don't think I've seen them in any other state.
1a) Better yet, why does U.S. 78 still exist west of Birmingham, or even west of Atlanta?
2) The signage at Exit 85 at Graysville still lists U.S. 78 as the route, and Birmingham as the control city.  I saw a car from Arkansas taking this exit as I drove by.  Obviously the driver was unaware that the new route was open.
3) The remnants of the rumble strips at Exits 85 and Exit 93 are still there.
4) Westbound, the speed limit is now 70.  Eastbound, it's still 65, since the old signs haven't been taken down.
5) Still no mileage signs between exits.
6) At I-65, the control city for I-22 is Memphis, but at all on-ramps, the control city for WB I-22 is Jasper.  Why?  It reminds me of way back in the day when control cities along I-65 included Cullman, Clanton and Decatur.

Strider

any pictures or videos?

Charles2

Sorry, I wasn't able to take pictures.  Multitasking is not one of my talents.  :)

amroad17

Alabama is doing the Illinois thing.  Major interchanges--major cities.  Minor interchanges--more local cities.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

codyg1985

^ But they only do it along I-22.

The lack of mileage signs to major cities is one of the more annoying things about I-22 in Alabama.
Cody Goodman

tdindy88

Just be lucky that you have mileage signs, all of the new I-69 in Southern Indiana lacks those, plus a northern control city. I would imagine that eastbound I-22 at least had Birmingham mentioned prior to the connection with I-65 opening.

Voyager75

I drove the route to Jasper last week and find the lack of updated and completed signage completely ridiculous but I shouldn't be surprised. Saw some 78 signs and missing signs altogether that should have had 22 shields. Officially been 22 for 2 years now. How long has this road been under construction? ALDOT should have sent crews from each division up and down the whole route months ago. Had them comb thru every sign to have new ones ordered, produced and installed before the ribbon cutting(which is a year and a half late technically). Like the 78 Birmingham sign in Graysville. Does that mean that they plan to return 78 to the old route and possibly add Sumiton under it? Add EAST to it at least? Or did they just waste money on a sign that has a number on it that may or may not exist anymore to confuse out of towners? They didn't even bother to have the ribbon cutting on the pavement in front of one of the BGS' for a good photo op. Just have it on the dirt in the lanes to US 31 that won't be completed for another 2 years.

Henry

I'm somewhat bothered by the fact that it will not go into TN, as US 78/Lamar Avenue will not become a freeway anytime soon. So while it may connect Birmingham to Memphis, it'll actually end just short of Memphis at the I-269 junction. Speaking of which, how is that project coming along?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Tourian

Quote from: Voyager75 on June 21, 2016, 08:58:03 AM
They didn't even bother to have the ribbon cutting on the pavement in front of one of the BGS' for a good photo op. Just have it on the dirt in the lanes to US 31 that won't be completed for another 2 years.

Maybe that just wasn't practical for safety reasons. The interstate is open and in use after all.

Jim

As I understand it from the discussion here, I-22 will end at the future I-269 in northern Mississippi.  It would make a lot more sense to me if I-22 would replace what will become I-269's southern connection to I-55/I-69 and end there.  I know it's just numbering and most people don't care, but if a 3di makes just as much or more sense as a 2di extension, why not?
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Strider

It won't be the only one 2di that ends at 3di. See I-88 near Chicago. But it does make sense to just extend I-22 west to I-55/69. Oh well.

wdcrft63

Quote from: Strider on June 21, 2016, 01:35:24 PM
It won't be the only one 2di that ends at 3di. See I-88 near Chicago. But it does make sense to just extend I-22 west to I-55/69. Oh well.
I agree. At the I-55/I-69/I-269 interchange, there will need to be signs "TO I-22" on the ramps to I-269 east. Might as well drop off the "TO."

The Ghostbuster

As if you didn't already know here are the 2-digit Interstates that end at a 3-digit Interstate:

Interstate 4: West end at Interstate 275
Interstate 22: West end at Interstate 269
Interstate 64: East end at Interstate 264 and Interstate 664
Interstate 76 (east): East end at Interstate 295
Interstate 87: South end at Interstate 278
Interstate 88 (west): East end at Interstate 290
Interstate 97: South end at unposted Interstate 595, North end at Interstate 695

swbrotha100

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 21, 2016, 05:56:56 PM
As if you didn't already know here are the 2-digit Interstates that end at a 3-digit Interstate:

Interstate 4: West end at Interstate 275
Interstate 22: West end at Interstate 269
Interstate 64: East end at Interstate 264 and Interstate 664
Interstate 76 (east): East end at Interstate 295
Interstate 87: South end at Interstate 278
Interstate 88 (west): East end at Interstate 290
Interstate 97: South end at unposted Interstate 595, North end at Interstate 695

I-49 in Missouri ends at I-435/I-470.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.