News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 22

Started by Snappyjack, January 26, 2009, 11:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on July 19, 2010, 11:03:28 PM
Would it have been possible to extend I-22 to I-459's eastern terminus?

That is sorta what the Northern Beltline is supposed to do, but nothing can really be extended to I-459's eastern terminus because there is a hospital north of that interchange.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Freewayjim

Quote from: Tomahawkin on July 11, 2010, 04:34:15 PM
I love the Fact that a majority of that stretch from Jasper to its current terminus is three lanes on both sides, despite small traffic volumes...I'd guess they are expecting future development in that area (sometime, but not in this economy) because I love the landscape of that area with all the hills...

I would agree, I drove I-22 for the first time not long ago and was highly impressed with this section.
Check out my highway videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/Freewayjim

jdb1234

Quote from: codyg1985 on July 20, 2010, 07:41:59 AM
Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on July 19, 2010, 11:03:28 PM
Would it have been possible to extend I-22 to I-459's eastern terminus?

That is sorta what the Northern Beltline is supposed to do, but nothing can really be extended to I-459's eastern terminus because there is a hospital north of that interchange.

The problem with extending I-22 to I-459 in Trussville is there is that area is developed and would cost alot to tear down, not to mention, that area is also very hilly.  As far as I-22 being extended, from a planning map I saw at UAB, I-22, if built, would meet I-20/59 near the Tallapoosa St Exit.  More than likely, the long-proposed Finley Blvd extension to that area will be built instead.  

Tourian

Collegeville definitely needs the fly over, but it would not replace I-22 in that area. They need to plan to do both.

Tourian

There is a big write-up on the I-22 & I-65 on the front page of today's Birmingham News, along with a map of the layout of ramps. It is said it will closely resemble the one 65/459 interchange in Hoover.

Stephane Dumas

I spotted the map of the proposed interchange from
http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2010/07/birmingham_i-65corridor_x_proj.html
I uploaded it on Imageshack

codyg1985

The interchange looks symmetrical enough so that if a connection to I-20/59 is built, the remaining ramps would fit into the interchange nicely.
Cody Goodman

Tourian

I wonder if there is bonus money on the table if the firm finishes it ahead of schedule like there was for repairing Malfunction Junction after the tanker truck explosion.

jdb1234

Taking a trip up to Tupelo yesterday, US 78 has paved shoulders from Fulton to the Alabama line.

FLRoads

Quote from: jdb1234 on August 10, 2010, 02:24:18 PM
Taking a trip up to Tupelo yesterday, US 78 has paved shoulders from Fulton to the Alabama line.

And I was through there on Sunday on my way back from the Memphis area. The future interstate has full-blast freeway grade shoulders on all sections south of Exit 50 except for the New Albany section, where the shoulders are still from when the freeway was constructed. There is some shoulder related construction going on around Exit 73 (MS 9) but that was all I seen going on.

I like the fact that some of the future interstate corridor signs in Alabama (east of Exit 72) actually have the word INTERSTATE in the shield instead of FUTURE. IMHO, it gives the highway a little more legitimacy of having the former over the latter. I also was able to drive the newest two mile section between Exit 91 (CR 105) and Exit 93 (CR 77). There is an initial layer of asphalt extending east of Exit 93 awaiting its final link to Interstate 65. When heading south on I-65 in the vicinity of the proposed interchange I did notice some movement of transmission lines, probably some initial work in regards to the interchange construction.

jdb1234

Quote from: flaroadgeek on August 11, 2010, 09:35:20 PM
I like the fact that some of the future interstate corridor signs in Alabama (east of Exit 72) actually have the word INTERSTATE in the shield instead of FUTURE. IMHO, it gives the highway a little more legitimacy of having the former over the latter.

I have driven that part a number of times over the years and have never noticed that.  I will see if I can find one on my way home this weekend.

FLRoads

Well I know there are a few eastbound and I remember looking back and seeing at least one westbound, if that helps :)

jdb1234

About a month ago: ALDOT put this sign up on US 78 Westbound at the ramp to Corridor X Westbound:

This is the third sign like this I have seen at this interchange.

codyg1985

Quote from: flaroadgeek on August 11, 2010, 09:35:20 PM
There is some shoulder related construction going on around Exit 73 (MS 9) but that was all I seen going on.

That is probably related to the Toyota plant that is being built around that interchange. A new interchange and some frontage roads have been built for the plant.
Cody Goodman

FLRoads

^^Yes, I do remember a plant off to the south at that interchange so that must be it. Thanks!

Grzrd

http://www.memphischamber.com/Articles/DoBusiness/Aero_Milestones.aspx

On page 7 of report in above link, it states that Cambridge Systematics was supposed to issue a final recommendation regarding the Memphis Lamar Avenue/possible I-22 corridor in June 2010.  Does anyone know if final report has been released?

It appears Tennessee has at least some interest in having I-22 directly link with I-240.  I have seen discussions somewhere in the forum about the logistical difficulties in doing so.  That said, if report has not been released, does anyone care to predict recommendation(s) of Cambridge Systematics?

codyg1985

I think the traffic is there to justify it, especially given the amount of trucks that go through the area and the proximity of Lamar to the BNSF intermodal facility. That said, it will probably cost a lot of money to acquire the needed ROW in some of the areas, but I feel they would recommend extending it, or at least converting some of the major intersections to interchanges.
Cody Goodman

froggie

The traffic is definitely there to justify it.  But the available ROW definitely IS NOT.  ROW costs and impacts alone are prohibitive enough, especially these days, to prevent a wholesale conversion to freeway, especially between I-240 and Winchester.  A couple grade separations (especially at Shelby) would be possible, but a freeway conversion is basically out of the question unless you have both very deep pockets and can convince the residents/businesses between 240 and Winchester to go along with it.

TheStranger

Has there been some thought to making I-22 connect with the existing diagonal segment of Route 385 (the segment parallel to US 72 as opposed to the segment that comprises future I-269)?
Chris Sampang

froggie

There is that possibility, yes, though following I-269 west, believe it or not, would be a more direct route.

TheStranger

Quote from: froggie on August 20, 2010, 05:34:24 PM
There is that possibility, yes, though following I-269 west, believe it or not, would be a more direct route.

I was thinking more specifically to connect with I-240 (which 269 doesn't) and enter Memphis from that trajectory, though if it is quicker to get to Memphis simply via 269 and 69/55...
Chris Sampang

Grzrd

I stumbled across below article from December 9, 2009 Memphis Daily News:

Interesting points: (1) Definition of Lamar Avenue corridor: "the Lamar Avenue corridor — the area bordered by I-240 to the north, the Mississippi state line to the south, Interstate 55 to the west and Hickory Hill to the east."

(2) estimated cost to TDOT of study: "it's difficult to put a price tag on this study because Cambridge Systematics is contracted by TDOT as an on-call entity to help with various transportation and freight studies throughout the state, but she estimated it at around $200,000."

(3) THE Big Question To Be Answered: "Should the Lamar Corridor be an interstate? Should it be I-22 all the way to 240 and connect?"  Lott said. "That's a big question that needs to be answered. If so, what do we need to do to make it an interstate that connects to an interstate? If it does need to be that, do we leave Lamar as Lamar, a local street?"

So, a distinction between Lamar Corridor and the current Lamar Avenue.  Does anyone know defined Lamar Corridor area well enough to suggest a feasible interstate route within Lamar Corridor that would somewhat parallel the current Lamar Avenue?

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/editorial/Article.aspx?id=46560

VOL. 124 | NO. 241 | Wednesday, December 09, 2009
FOCUS  Logistics & Distribution
Findings Pinpoint Lamar Corridor's Troubles
ERIC SMITH | The Daily News
Anyone who has traveled along Lamar Avenue between Interstate 240 and the Mississippi state line knows how congested it can get, with a seemingly endless line of trucks driving both directions and backing up traffic.
Members of the Greater Memphis Chamber's aerotropolis initiative now have a better idea of the corridor's horrendous deficiencies.
Cambridge Systematics Inc., a Cambridge, Mass.-based firm that studies transportation assets and needs nationwide, late last week presented the preliminary findings of its Lamar Avenue Corridor Study to the aerotropolis initiative's access and transportation committee.
The message is clear and not at all surprising: Lamar Avenue has a host of problems that need to be resolved if Memphis wants to continue its role as a critical link in the global supply chain.
The study, which kicked off in the summer, is addressing traffic flows and transportation needs within the Lamar Avenue corridor — the area bordered by I-240 to the north, the Mississippi state line to the south, Interstate 55 to the west and Hickory Hill to the east.
Cambridge Systematics is conducting the study in conjunction with the Memphis Metropolitan Planning Organization, the University of Memphis' Intermodal Freight Transportation Institute and the chamber.
The Tennessee Department of Transportation assigned Cambridge Systematics to the study following a request from MPO; TDOT has an ongoing contract with Cambridge Systematics to assist local planning organizations around the state.
'Real-time, on time'
Martha Lott, administrator for the Memphis MPO, said she is pleased with the progress made so far, such as the collection of traffic counts, travel time and truck origins and destinations along the corridor.
"We're also excited that TDOT has stepped up to the plate with us on this endeavor, because this project — Lamar — would actually be a state project,"  she said. "It wouldn't be a locally managed project."
Instead, Lott pointed out, any improvements to the Lamar corridor would be managed at the state level, speeding up the planning, funding and execution of potential solutions, the latter of which could be costly.
"With them providing the funding for the study and their involvement, that brings it more home than just the MPO doing a study,"  Lott said. "TDOT will get the impacts and the needs and see everything as we move through the study."
Lott said it's difficult to put a price tag on this study because Cambridge Systematics is contracted by TDOT as an on-call entity to help with various transportation and freight studies throughout the state, but she estimated it at around $200,000.
Lott said when the Memphis MPO heard about the possibility of having Cambridge Systematics work on the Lamar Avenue corridor issues, she "jumped on it"  because the already crowded corridor recently became worse because of the opening of BNSF Railway Co.'s expanded intermodal yard. The site of that yard at Lamar and Shelby Drive is one of many intersections receiving an "F"  because it is dysfunctional.
Also, with numerous warehouses, distribution centers and corporate headquarters in the Lamar corridor, the study area is home to some of the city's most important players in the transportation, logistics and distribution realm.
Members of the committee that discussed some of the existing data include representatives from FedEx Corp., Williams-Sonoma, Memphis International Airport, Belz Enterprises, Commercial Advisors and the offices of U.S. Sens. Bob Corker and Lamar Alexander and U.S. Rep. Steve Cohen.
"With the freight community, 'real-time, on-time' is what's important to them,"  Lott said. "And if they can't do it via truck, they're going to find another avenue."
The big "˜what if'
One point of emphasis during the meeting was how that stretch of Lamar Avenue is important not only to Memphis, but to Tennessee as an entry point for the state and to the entire U.S., which relies on the movement of goods up and down the corridor for nationwide commerce.
Cambridge Systematics will now finish data collection with help from the U of M's Intermodal Freight Transportation Institute. TDOT and MPO will go through recommendations, and Lott said the organizations will first target "low-hanging fruit,"  such as better traffic signalization and extending some turn lanes, which can be accomplished without too much time and investment.
Then, the organizations will start developing phases for environmental impact studies and transportation planning reports, which will strive to answer perhaps the biggest question of all concerning Lamar Avenue:
"Should the Lamar Corridor be an interstate? Should it be I-22 all the way to 240 and connect?"  Lott said. "That's a big question that needs to be answered. If so, what do we need to do to make it an interstate that connects to an interstate? If it does need to be that, do we leave Lamar as Lamar, a local street?"
Last, TDOT and MPO will consider much broader enhancements, such as widening part or all of Lamar or even turning the avenue into a limited-access highway.
The final report will be delivered in June with solutions being implemented soon after.

Grzrd

Just received a reply from TDOT regarding the status of the Cambridge Systematics Lamar Corridor study:

The draft of the study being done by Cambridge Systematics is now expected to be ready the second week in September. After review by the Memphis Metropolitan Organization and the Department's Systems and Policy Planning office, the final report should be ready around the middle of October.
The study will identify possible alternative solutions for improving the movement of freight, relieving congestion, levels of service, etc. Some of the categories of solutions are expected to be directed at capacity enhancements, diversion routes, operational solutions, and improvements to other roadways in the study area. Exactly what the report will recommend will not be known until it is finalized.

It will be interesting to see if extension of I-22 to I-240 link is officially eliminated.  I guess that would then put the question of the location of the western terminus in MDOT's court.

EDIT

I don't want to read too much into a subject line, but I did not mention I-22 in my subject line to TDOT.  Theirs is as follows:

REF: Cambridge Systematics' Study of Lamar Avenue and I-22 Corridors in Memphis, Shelby County

Should be an interesting study.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on August 26, 2010, 03:19:34 PM
It will be interesting to see if extension of I-22 to I-240 link is officially eliminated.  I guess that would then put the question of the location of the western terminus in MDOT's court.

Sorry, I forgot that MDOT had addressed this question in a May 25 email to me:

The feds have the final call on the limits of I-22.  MDOT currently anticipates the western termini of I-22 to be the new I-269 route unless Tennessee upgrades their section of US 78.

This may have been addressed elsewhere, but, assuming I-22 terminates at I-269, will this create an exit renumbering nightmare for MDOT? [I have not asked MDOT this question; waiting to see what Tennessee does.]

froggie

It will.  When MDOT added exit numbers to US 78 about 10 years ago, they were numbered starting at the TN line.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.