News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 22

Started by Snappyjack, January 26, 2009, 11:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on December 10, 2010, 09:46:20 PM
Not surprisingly, study found that interstate alternative reduced travel time the most, but that six-lane and eight-lane upgrades to Lamar Avenue would be more cost-effective.  Maybe TDOT will put actual study report (incorporating MPO & TDOT comments) on-line in near future.
I had a recent communication with TDOT re Cambridge Systematics Lamar Corridor study.  They are still making revisions to it after November comments from Memphis MPO.  They hope to finish it in about a month and will then present the revised version to the Memphis MPO, presumably at the May 26 meeting of the Transportation Policy Board.  They are finishing up some work on some intersections/interchanges resulting from MPO comments.  I-22 option presented to the MPO in November was "very expensive".  The report will not be "final" and available for public review until after the MPO officially signs off on it.

Here is a link to a December report from the Memphis Chamber regarding the November presentation to the MPO:

http://www.memphischamber.com/Newsroom/Access/December-2010-(1).aspx

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on March 30, 2011, 02:46:56 PM
Here is a link to a December report from the Memphis Chamber regarding the November presentation to the MPO:
http://www.memphischamber.com/Newsroom/Access/December-2010-(1).aspx

From a roadgeek perspective, this would be a neat solution to the I-22 western terminus question: one of the proposed Southern Gateway routes would connect with I-22 at the MS/TN state line, and I-22 would then be routed over the Southern Gateway for a 2di terminus interchange with I-40 in Arkansas.  You could then have an I-x22 to the Memphis Airport to relieve the congestion along the southern part of the Lamar Corridor and go with a 6-lane or 8-lane widening of Lamar Avenue up to I-240:

http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/location-location/Content?oid=2697539

The plans – jointly developed by TDOT, the Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department, the Mississippi Department of Transportation, the Memphis and West Memphis Metropolitan Planning Organizations, and the Federal Highway Administration – offer seven two-mile-wide corridors where a new earthquake-proof bridge and connecting highway could be built ...
Another option adds a new highway connecting to I-22 near the Tennessee-Mississippi state line, leading over the river, and onto I-40.

Grzrd

Here's a link to a news story (with video from section in Marshall County) of Mississippi's installation of safety cables as part of upgrade to I-22, with installation along entire length of route in Mississippi anticipated to be completed by the end of this year:

http://www.wreg.com/news/wreg-highway-cables-033011,0,7998714.story

ShawnP

Safer than Jersey Barriers? Uhhhhhhhhhh NOOOOO. Safer than nothing but not Jersey Barriers.

NE2

Aren't they safer because they 'catch' the errant vehicle rather than redirecting it back out into traffic?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

froggie

Depends on your definition of safe.  Cable barrier does less of a number on the errant car than swiping into a Jersey barrier will do.

codyg1985

Quote from: Tourian on March 30, 2011, 11:57:25 AM
Quote from: codyg1985 on March 27, 2011, 03:54:07 PM
I will be driving through the I-22/I-65 interchange on April 1st on my way to New Orleans.

My wife and I drove by it Sunday. I can't tell if anything major has been done but the equipment is definitely there and you can easily see where the current road ends. Fultondale could easily see a lot of good development right around that area, should be exciting. I hope it really won't take two more years.

After driving through during the weekend. I saw some bridge piers being constructed off the side of I-65. There is also a bridge with beams across part of it being built over I-65 to replace the current 47th Ave bridge. There is mostly a lot of land clearing going on right now.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Tourian

Quote from: codyg1985 on April 04, 2011, 09:17:02 AM
Quote from: Tourian on March 30, 2011, 11:57:25 AM
Quote from: codyg1985 on March 27, 2011, 03:54:07 PM
I will be driving through the I-22/I-65 interchange on April 1st on my way to New Orleans.

My wife and I drove by it Sunday. I can't tell if anything major has been done but the equipment is definitely there and you can easily see where the current road ends. Fultondale could easily see a lot of good development right around that area, should be exciting. I hope it really won't take two more years.

After driving through during the weekend. I saw some bridge piers being constructed off the side of I-65. There is also a bridge with beams across part of it being built over I-65 to replace the current 47th Ave bridge. There is mostly a lot of land clearing going on right now.

That's cool. We came by it from the city, I thought about it turning around and coming back by but we moved on. I figured north to south might be a better vantagepoint - or at least just worthy of a second look. I'll have to check it out again soon - preferably on a day when they are actually working.

Buummu

I-22 should be extended to I-20...using parts of Northern Beltline......

froggie

Better idea:  extend it to I-20/59 near the airport.  Less expensive than building that huge chunk of the Northern Beltline.

Buummu

yeah.. that works too, froggie... it would just be easier to end it at i-20/59 interchange.. but i did not know there is a cemetery in the way...

The Premier

That's one of the reasons there is a sharp curve on the I-20 ramp at its interchange with I-59 is due to the cemetery.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=33.547261,-86.747103&spn=0.007976,0.013797&z=16
Alex P. Dent

agentsteel53

Quote from: The Premier on April 27, 2011, 07:56:02 PM
That's one of the reasons there is a sharp curve on the I-20 ramp at its interchange with I-59 is due to the cemetery.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=33.547261,-86.747103&spn=0.007976,0.013797&z=16

were they trying to drum up some business?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

jdb1234

Quote from: The Premier on April 27, 2011, 07:56:02 PM

Yeah, and some of us (me) would like it to stay that way.

Buummu

yeah.. i drove on the sharp curve on the I-20 ramp.. it was fun.. but at the same time the cemetery should be moved.. i guess it could be called "Dead Man's Curve" haha.

codyg1985

Quote from: Buummu on April 28, 2011, 12:46:28 AM
yeah.. i drove on the sharp curve on the I-20 ramp.. it was fun.. but at the same time the cemetery should be moved.. i guess it could be called "Dead Man's Curve" haha.

I believe it is called that by the locals.
Cody Goodman

Buummu

oh i didn't know that.. but yes 25 mph curve.. wow.

Tourian

Quote from: codyg1985 on May 05, 2011, 11:26:19 AM
Quote from: Buummu on April 28, 2011, 12:46:28 AM

I believe it is called that by the locals.

It is.

Daniel Fiddler

Both the cemetery and the airport are in the way of building to the 20 and 59 split.  Cemetery more so than the airport, as it blocks the interchange from going west.  The only place I can see it going is near the Tallapoosa St. interchange, in fact, probably demolishing said interchange to make room for I - 22.  That or building ramps to I - 20 / 59 east just east of Tallapoosa St. and builting an exit for East Lake Blvd that exits to / from west 22.

Buummu

I agree with Daniel Fiddler... as well as taking out some buildings and homes along I-22 path towards the future interchange with I-65 that is under construction.... If that is true.. wow money is gonna be so expensive.. and from what i see on Google Maps, it looks like probably 2 or 3 miles before I-22 can meet I-20/59 near their split.

Tourian

I had read the idea to connect to tallapoosa was already under consideration.

Buummu

Really.. where did you find that information, Tourian? I am curious.. :)

froggie

It's nothing new.  I commented on something similar in another thread.  The Birmingham MPO has been wanting to study an extension of I-22 to I-20/59 for at least 10 years...likely longer.

Buummu

Quote from: froggie on May 08, 2011, 07:44:34 AM
It's nothing new.  I commented on something similar in another thread.  The Birmingham MPO has been wanting to study an extension of I-22 to I-20/59 for at least 10 years...likely longer.

I saw your comments in another thread. I agree with what you just said.. there's just too many things to tackle with before extending I-22 farther east... but I would be surprised if Birmingham MPO somehow got funds for it.

codyg1985

Just a minor sidenote: the speed limit of I-22 in Alabama has been raised from 65 to 70.
Cody Goodman

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.