News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

Quote from: roadman65 on August 14, 2019, 11:50:01 PM
Who cares the technical terms[?]

Presumably, the member who expressly asked for them to be explained.

That said, they are indeed irrelevant to my point, which you were originally responding to, and which could apply to any Thing of which a person has repeatedly been made aware, and yet remains unaware.

Quote from: kalvado on August 15, 2019, 09:02:08 AM
Problems occur when bad designs (even with best intentions) come into play[...]

Perhaps they do, but they are not the problem I'm thinking of.

Michael

A few nights ago, I noticed that 511ny.org now has live video feeds on the traffic cameras!  The video is a bit grainy, but it's not too bad.  When I was at a Super Bowl party this past February, I thought I'd try to find traffic cameras in Atlanta.  Their traffic cameras were 720p HD streams, and I was really impressed!  I hope NY upgrades someday.

Another thing I found a few nights ago was that there will be a ramp built from the State Fairgrounds Orange Lot to I-690 eastbound.  When I first read the project page several months ago (maybe even last year), I only saw that there would be a new pedestrian bridge.  Looking at the plans shows a new ramp that will merge between I-690 and the current NY 695 northbound ramp.  I'm not a fan of the design since the right lane of NY 695 will merge into the left lane, and that lane will become the exit lane for NY 297.  The new ramp will become an added lane on I-690 instead of the current left lane on NY 695.  After thinking about it a bit more, I thought maybe it wouldn't be an issue after all since a lot of traffic would be exiting onto NY 297 during the state fair anyway.  I drove into Syracuse using NY 695 yesterday afternoon during rush hour, and I think my initial thought was correct.  Traffic was pretty heavy without the additional traffic the state fair will bring, and I thought I wasn't going to be able to change lanes and be forced to exit onto NY 297, but I found a gap.  I was able to see some grading for the new ramp, and it looked like at least the southern abutment for the bridge over I-690 has been built, but it was hard to see around the bridge for the I-690 westbound to NY 695 southbound ramp.

Last night, I found a video on the r/syracuse subreddit from the Thruway Authority about its construction in the Syracuse area:

Here's a few things I noticed in the video:
5:24: The lock at Port Byron, along with construction in the area
8:11: The US 11 bridge over the Thruway
8:40: A model of a depressed freeway along the current Erie Blvd
9:32: Old signs for NY 5, NY 20SY, and NY 57 (This has to be a ways from NY 57 since it only went to Wolf St at the current end of NY 370)
9:55: Aerial and ground-level shots of the Thruway by what's now Lockheed Martin
10:13: "broad arterial thoroughfares" such as Electronics Parkway were part of the Thruway plans
10:26: "improving arterial thoroughfares" such as Erie Blvd was part of the Thruway plans

Roadgeek Adam

*drools*

A living NY 20SY shield in any source.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

PHLBOS

Quote from: hbelkins on August 16, 2019, 02:29:08 PM
It's good to know that New York has all its potholes patched and can afford to grant Gov. Cuomo his little ego trip. Of all the things to get worked up over, the missing middle initial is hardly worthy of consideration.
During my recent trip to New England last week; I already saw at least two overhead BGS' that now have the initial.  One of them replaced an older sign listing Tappan Zee Bridge along I-287 westbound approaching the merge w/the Thruway/I-87.  Note: As of this past Friday (Aug. 16), only the left BGS was replaced.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

crispy93

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 19, 2019, 03:30:39 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 16, 2019, 02:29:08 PM
It's good to know that New York has all its potholes patched and can afford to grant Gov. Cuomo his little ego trip. Of all the things to get worked up over, the missing middle initial is hardly worthy of consideration.
During my recent trip to New England last week; I already saw at least two overhead BGS' that now have the initial.  One of them replaced an older sign listing Tappan Zee Bridge along I-287 westbound approaching the merge w/the Thruway/I-87.  Note: As of this past Friday (Aug. 16), only the left BGS was replaced.

There is one surviving, conspicuous TZB sign in Westchester but I'm almost afraid to reveal where it is haha.
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

roadman65

Good Golly, NYTA forgot the initial. :poke:

Back on track, who ever referred to Mario as Mario M?   
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Buffaboy

There's a vote underway for new license plate design: https://now.ny.gov/page/s/vote-for-the-next-nys-license-plate-design

I chose plate 1 because it's simple.

Honestly I wish NY had a simple California style license plate that's timeless.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

02 Park Ave

The I-84 exit numbers are now all mileage based east of the Hudson.
C-o-H

roadman65

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on August 20, 2019, 07:42:47 PM
Wow!  That is a big step now that all that is started.  Who would ever think that NY would go mileage.  I mean I-99 is, but only a short distance and so new, but an existing highway to be renumbered.  Wonder what one will be the next?

Sheryl Crowe

odditude

Quote from: Buffaboy on August 20, 2019, 07:41:08 PM
There's a vote underway for new license plate design: https://now.ny.gov/page/s/vote-for-the-next-nys-license-plate-design

my vote would be for plate 1 using plate 5's "NEW YORK" and "EXCELSIOR" text design.

NJRoadfan

Plate 5 all the way, particularly because they plan on replacing the Blue and White Empire plates with them. The past 2 designs were simple and timeless, but the 1986 Liberty plates are still the best.

I don't know why New York has such an obsession with re-plates. NJ has plenty of plates that are older than 2002 (NY's last forced re-plate) on the road still.

SignBridge

I don't understand why they're changing from the current "new" plate, the blue and orange. Why not just standardize that design instead of always having at least two different color plates for the same state?

D-Dey65

I choose neither, because they're all too white.

machias

Quote from: roadman65 on August 20, 2019, 08:45:13 PM
Quote from: 02 Park Ave on August 20, 2019, 07:42:47 PM
Wow!  That is a big step now that all that is started.  Who would ever think that NY would go mileage.  I mean I-99 is, but only a short distance and so new, but an existing highway to be renumbered.  Wonder what one will be the next?

I'm pretty sure I-81 will be the next of the 2dis to be renumbered in New York, regardless of what they do with the viaduct in Syracuse it's going to require a reconfiguration and engineers in R3 have always said that's when they'll renumber the interchanges for the entire length of the route. Coordination between the other two involved regions has already been discussed.

I'm surprised I-88 hasn't been renumbered. Aside from two interchanges, it's entirely in the Binghamton Region and there's not that many interchanges to begin with.

jp the roadgeek

For 3di's, I-684 would seem to be a logical choice for conversion sooner than later.  Seeing that its parent is being converted and the nearby Taconic just received mileage based numbers, plus it has exits that are spread out enough that you wouldn't have much of an alphabet city except at the endpoints, it wouldn't be that hard to do. You'd have:

Exit 1 (NB): Manhattanville Rd
Exit 1 A-B (SB): I-287 East/West
Exit 1C (SB): Hutch Parkway SOUTH
Exit 4: NY 120
Exit 7 (A-B NB): NY 22
Exit 12: NY 172
Exit 17 (SB ONLY): Saw Mill Pkwy SOUTH
Exit 18: NY 35
Exit 20 (NB ONLY): NY 22 TO NY 138
Exit 22 (NB ONLY): NY 116 TO NY 22
Exit 24: Hardscrabble Rd
Exit 28 A-B: I-84 East/West
Exit 28C: US 6/202/NY 22 SOUTH

If the 287 exits are unnumbered, the Hutch becomes Exit 1
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

D-Dey65

Quote from: roadman65 on August 13, 2019, 10:13:50 PM
Just so you know where US 9W and US 6 meet at Bear Mountain its a circle by NJ standards but whoever wrote about it in Wikipedia calls it a roundabout.
Because on Wikipedia, they forced the name "roundabout" on all of them.

cu2010

Quote from: NJRoadfan on August 20, 2019, 09:45:32 PM
I don't know why New York has such an obsession with re-plates. NJ has plenty of plates that are older than 2002 (NY's last forced re-plate) on the road still.

$$$$$$$$$

Also number 5 for me. It's the only one whose design reflects all of New York State, not just NYC.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

SectorZ

Quote from: odditude on August 20, 2019, 09:24:04 PM

my vote would be for plate 1 using plate 5's "NEW YORK" and "EXCELSIOR" text design.

I see the state's egomaniac-in-chief had to get "Dad's Bridge" on one of the designs?

kalvado

Quote from: SectorZ on August 21, 2019, 08:26:54 AM
Quote from: odditude on August 20, 2019, 09:24:04 PM

I see the state's egomaniac-in-chief had to get "Dad's Bridge" on one of the designs?
On the winning design, which will be selected based on public opinion and expert reviews.

signalman

Quote from: NJRoadfan on August 20, 2019, 09:45:32 PM
Plate 5 all the way, particularly because they plan on replacing the Blue and White Empire plates with them. The past 2 designs were simple and timeless, but the 1986 Liberty plates are still the best.

Currently NJ plates issued as far back as 1959 are still valid so long as the registration never lapsed. Old straw plates (issued 1959-1979) are still kicking around. Less and less all the time for obvious reasons.

vdeane

Quote from: SignBridge on August 20, 2019, 10:13:31 PM
I don't understand why they're changing from the current "new" plate, the blue and orange. Why not just standardize that design instead of always having at least two different color plates for the same state?
The original intent for the Empire Gold plates WAS to replace the Empire Blue plates in their entirety, as a way to raise money during the Great Recession.  Massive public backlash resulted in the plan being scrapped (not only did people object to paying the fees, the design was hated).  However, the plates had already been manufactured by then, so they were used for new plates going forward.  I'm guessing the contest and only forcing plate changes on 10+ year old plates are ways of trying to avoid that backlash.

As for why we're changing, making it easier to read plates on toll gantries seems to be a major motivation.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

KEVIN_224

Let's just name it the Mario Tappan Cuomo Zee Oh Look At The Pretty Hudson River Bridge and call it a day!

SidS1045

Quote from: vdeane on August 21, 2019, 01:18:02 PMAs for why we're changing, making it easier to read plates on toll gantries seems to be a major motivation.

Gov. Cuomo supposedly said as much, in announcing the "contest."  He said the new plates will make for easier image recognition on the ALPR's to be used to enforce congestion pricing in Manhattan.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

roadman65

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on August 21, 2019, 01:54:41 PM
Let's just name it the Mario Tappan Cuomo Zee Oh Look At The Pretty Hudson River Bridge and call it a day!
What's in a name?  You think many call Washington National Airport as Reagan National?  Does anyone call the RFK Bridge by that name?  Is the Hugh Carey Tunnel yet called by its latest name?

How many still call Denali, Mount McKinley? 

Sheryl Crowe

kalvado

Quote from: SidS1045 on August 21, 2019, 02:37:04 PM
Quote from: vdeane on August 21, 2019, 01:18:02 PMAs for why we're changing, making it easier to read plates on toll gantries seems to be a major motivation.

Gov. Cuomo supposedly said as much, in announcing the "contest."  He said the new plates will make for easier image recognition on the ALPR's to be used to enforce congestion pricing in Manhattan.
Looks like a detail is coming up - plates older than 10 years are to be replaced. Which is somewhat meaningful, as 10 years take toll on plates. My set is almost 12, if I remember correctly, and they start to show the age. Saying that worn out plates are not read properly is almost reasonable.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.