News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

To Florida via I-95

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 18, 2017, 06:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

Late October, I'll be driving to FL from NYC.  I hope to get a lot of sign goodies...state-named shields, colored US shields, non-reflective button copy etc.

I'm especially interested in '61 state-named interstate shields in VA., old I-95 shields in DC and of course FL.

Anything I should get?

I already have this:
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

1995hoo

If you're interested in old signs in DC, I recommend you make the effort to take some time to see them now because Dave Dildine of WTOP has reported that there is a sign replacement project slated for sometime this winter. I don't know exactly what's coming down, but his story strongly hinted that the legendary ancient sign bridge over I-66 near the Kennedy Center, the one with the fading button-copy signs and the signs covered with wood panels, will be replaced. I believe the button-copy signs on the Southwest—Southeast Freeway may be doomed as well.

In terms of an old I-95 shield in DC, perhaps the best sign is underneath the L'Enfant Promenade at 12th and D NW. It's mounted on a wall. IIRC it's a territory-named shield, too. Most of DC's shields are neutered, and in recent years they've replaced a bunch of the old non-neutered ones as part of sign replacements associated with the appearance of I-695 signs. They've been replacing a lot of signs in general–I work at Thomas Circle and within the past week they replaced a bunch of street signs all around the circle.

The octagonal "Do Not Enter" sign that looks like a stop sign is just down D Street from the I-95 shield mentioned above–across the street from the ramp to southbound I-395.

I believe there are still a couple of "DC-US" US Highway shields on LGSs on the outbound Roosevelt Bridge. I seldom get to look at the signs on there because I usually drive across it during rush hour.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.