News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Alaska Marine Highway ferries to close their bars

Started by oscar, January 27, 2015, 04:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

Alaska DOT&PF announced that it will be phasing out bars on Alaska Marine Highway System ferries, six of which have bars.  This is being portrayed as an economy move, in face of severely reduced state revenues from the plunge of oil prices, which already has put on hold some major projects such as the proposed Juneau access road and Knik Arm Bridge

Single-serve beer and wine will still be sold, with meals served in on-board cafeterias.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

triplemultiplex

Noooooooo!!!!!!!

That was one of the best parts about 'driving' the Marine Highway.  I had some of the best bar conversations ever aboard those vessels.  Damn you DOT&PF!!
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kkt

I just can't believe that a bar with a captive audience of boat passengers can possibly lose money.

oscar

Quote from: kkt on February 13, 2015, 11:42:02 AM
I just can't believe that a bar with a captive audience of boat passengers can possibly lose money.

IIRC, the bartenders (like other crew members) are represented by a maritime union.  I don't know how common are unionized bartenders.

dave1013

You'll still be able to buy beer and wine at the cash register station, I am told.

But the bars are a thing of the past now.
Traffic and Safety Engineer - Alaska DOT&PF - Southcoast Region - Juneau, Alaska

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of Alaska DOT&PF or the State of Alaska

dave1013

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 11, 2015, 11:25:30 PM
Noooooooo!!!!!!!

That was one of the best parts about 'driving' the Marine Highway.  I had some of the best bar conversations ever aboard those vessels.  Damn you DOT&PF!!

You aren't the first person to have said that.  Why, I get that kind of feedback on a regular basis.   :-D
Traffic and Safety Engineer - Alaska DOT&PF - Southcoast Region - Juneau, Alaska

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of Alaska DOT&PF or the State of Alaska

Pete from Boston

The only ferry I know with a true bar is the Orient-New London ferry.  Lots of others have booze, but not a designated bar.  Guess this means folks will have to step up their social outreach to drink with strangers.

triplemultiplex

The other nice thing about the bars was they were a refuge from marauding children being loud and annoying everywhere on the vessel.

What are they doing with the space now?

dave1013

Quote from: triplemultiplex on April 02, 2015, 06:41:41 PM
The other nice thing about the bars was they were a refuge from marauding children being loud and annoying everywhere on the vessel.

What are they doing with the space now?

I called our public information officer and was told it will become public lounge space - even for people under 21!  Also, the piano on the M/V Columbia is likely to stay.  If so, everyone can play their little piano and sing their little song.

Atomica

It might not be a bad idea, if it means that lower rates of drink driving are the result.
"A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything."
--- Malcolm X, 1925-1965

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Atomica on May 04, 2015, 12:41:41 AM
It might not be a bad idea, if it means that lower rates of drink driving are the result.
But when you're on the ferry for an entire day, that's not really a problem.

Now the question is, can you smoke weed in the smoking area now that Alaska legalized cannabis?   :hmmm: :awesomeface:

oscar

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 14, 2015, 02:59:12 PM
Quote from: Atomica on May 04, 2015, 12:41:41 AM
But when you're on the ferry for an entire day, that's not really a problem.

Several AMHS ferry routes are multi-day. For example, the M/V Kennicott takes six days to travel from Bellingham WA to Homer AK.

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 14, 2015, 02:59:12 PM
Now the question is, can you smoke weed in the smoking area now that Alaska legalized cannabis?   :hmmm: :awesomeface:

Nope, due to Federal regulations of ferries and other public transportation. http://gov.alaska.gov/Walker/press-room/full-press-release.html?pr=7084

triplemultiplex

I've been on the Columbia, the Taku and the Matanuska this summer.  The old bars on the first two were locked up.  Only the Matanuska had the space open to the public for seating and, well, sleeping.  Looks like they were using the Columbia's bar for storage based on the glimpse I got when a crew member used the door.

So whatever plans they have for them are not fully implemented.

DeaconG

Perhaps they could do a BYOB and charge for setups?
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: triplemultiplex on April 02, 2015, 06:41:41 PM

Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.