News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Offramps Wider than the Through Route

Started by Echostatic, June 07, 2020, 05:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

Quote from: webny99 on June 11, 2020, 03:42:51 PM
At least with the latter example, you can make an argument that it's a ramp, although it's hardly "wider"... both the ramp and the through route have two lanes.
The ramp to I-70 West is 2 lanes where the through lane to US-30 East is 1 lane.

Plenty of examples at traditional interchanges would exist also. I think this thread is more focused on freeways. I-70 is technically an interstate through there, but is not freeway-grade.

jay8g

I-705 in downtown Tacoma -- between the surprisingly bad signage (this is the only sign for the exit) and the geometry here, it really looks like the mainline goes up the A St ramp.

Also, on the other side of I-5, there's SR 7 at the 38th St interchange/freeway stub, but this one only kind of counts as two of the three lanes on the "ramp" end rather abruptly beyond the split.

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: jay8g on June 14, 2020, 04:10:06 AM
I-705 in downtown Tacoma -- between the surprisingly bad signage (this is the only sign for the exit) and the geometry here, it really looks like the mainline goes up the A St ramp.

Also, on the other side of I-5, there's SR 7 at the 38th St interchange/freeway stub, but this one only kind of counts as two of the three lanes on the "ramp" end rather abruptly beyond the split.
Aren't there faster ways to get to Mt. Rainer than taking an arterial highway through a densely-populated suburb?

roadman65

Exit 13 on I-280 in Newark, NJ.  Built originally for the never built NJ 75 freeway and the fact east of there it follows the old NJ 58 Expressway that was built to four lanes, it has this awkward situation.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Echostatic

Another good example in Texas: The western end of I-30. I-20 continues eastward with two lanes, although from a one-lane exit. I-30 begins heading eastward with three lanes. This applies as the inverse heading West, where I-30 joins I-20 with three lanes and I-20 continues west with one lane.
Travelled in part or in full.

roadman65

Oh the Upper Level exit for NJ Route 4 in Fort Lee, NJ departing the GWB has I-95 S Bound into one lane while NJ 4 takes 2 lanes. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jmacswimmer

"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

crispy93

Quote from: jmacswimmer on June 18, 2020, 01:52:17 PM
I-287 South at exit 66 in New Jersey, just after leaving the NYS Thruway.

I've always found the signage here to be confusing. There's no mention that lane 3 is an option lane (well, there is a diagrammatical advance sign but it shows the ramp for 17 as being 2 lanes when it's actually 3), so I see a lot of unnecessary last-minute merges into the #2 lane to get on 17 south. A set of APLs would clean up nice here.

Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

jmacswimmer

Quote from: crispy93 on June 25, 2020, 11:53:00 AM
Quote from: jmacswimmer on June 18, 2020, 01:52:17 PM
I-287 South at exit 66 in New Jersey, just after leaving the NYS Thruway.
I've always found the signage here to be confusing. There's no mention that lane 3 is an option lane (well, there is a diagrammatical advance sign but it shows the ramp for 17 as being 2 lanes when it's actually 3), so I see a lot of unnecessary last-minute merges into the #2 lane to get on 17 south. A set of APLs would clean up nice here.

That mile between the Thruway and exit 66 always seems to be an absolute mess in my experience.  When driving to/from New England, I typically pass thru coming from the Tappan Ze...er, Mario M. Cuomo Bridge and continuing onto 287 south.  Usually my approach is to immediately shift into the lane that enters from that u-turn ramp and continues onto 287 south, in order to get out of the way of all the weaving traffic.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Ben114

vdeane

Quote from: Ben114 on June 25, 2020, 12:47:14 PM
US 6 and MA 3 in Bourne.
According to us maybe, but MassDOT considers MA 3 to be the through movement and will be resigning US 6 as the exit with the conversion to mile-based numbers.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

bwana39

Quote from: kalvado on June 07, 2020, 09:01:37 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/i4YMtCCG7dR4hs7W8
Technically through lanes are no longer the same road, though, as I-87 designation end around that point.

This example is really more TOTSO.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

sparker

CA 17 SB at the Hamilton Ave. exit in Campbell is 5 lanes wide; the center lane splits between the continuing main carriageway and the ramp, so initially there are 3 lanes on each side of the gore.  But a few yards beyond the gore point original Lane #3 (leftmost on the ramp) adds an additional left-turn lane to EB Hamilton (it's a very short ramp as well).  So at the termination of the ramp there are 4 total lanes vs. 3 still on the freeway.

7/8

On the 400 southbound in Toronto, Ontario, there's 4 lanes for the 401 and only 2 lanes continue on the 400 (which soon becomes Black Creek Drive). Also, the through lanes are on the right.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.7286832,-79.5248167,3a,25.3y,167.07h,91t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sidt6RrhJjOV4bnX8E5ieCg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

bassoon1986

I-10 eastbound in Baton Rouge at the I-10/I-12 split. 2 lanes for I-10, and 3 exiting for I-12. A third lane for 10 quickly appears just past the split.

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.