News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NY/NJ trip, July 12–18, 2015

Started by sammi, July 01, 2015, 02:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJRoadfan

If its going to be a late night, I usually park near a PATH station in NJ and take that in/out. During the day, I just bum a ride to/from a NJ Transit station with Midtown Direct express service.

EricJV95

I just went to Newark, N.J. and New York City last week. This was a road trip I truly needed. I made a stop over in Philadelphia to grab a quick bite to eat before I continued on to Newark. I drove the Pa. Turnpike to EXIT 326 for I-76 EAST to Central Philadelphia. Thought I would get my Philly Cheesesteak, But my favorite shop was closed for the evening  :-(. Oh well, I continued on across the Walt Whitman Bridge into New Jersey then went up I-295 North for about 1 mile to Rt. 168 near Woodbury. So, I got on Rt. 168 South for 1 mile until I reached the N.J. Turnpike. Then I followed the N.J. Turnpike NORTH with it's NEW EXPRESS and LOCAL LANES starting at EXIT 6. Much smoother and wider. Very nice job. Then I reached my destination at EXIT 13A at Newark Airport and U.S. Rt. 1-9 at the Newark Airport Hilton and enjoyed my weekend. If I didn't had to stop in Philadelphia; I could have done one of two things; Taken the Pa. Turnpike EAST ALL the way into New Jersey and picked up the N.J. Turnpike (95) NORTH straight into Newark. Or just taken the Pa. Turnpike (76) EAST from Irwin only to EXIT 226 Carlisle-Harrisburg (I-81) EXIT. Then would go NORTH on Rt. 11 for 1 Mile up to I-81 NORTH. Then follow I-81 NORTH for 36 miles until I reach I-78 EAST (EXIT 89) for Allentown-Newark-New York City. I would stay EAST on 78 into New Jersey and ALL the way to Newark.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: EricJV95 on July 27, 2015, 09:50:27 PM
I just went to Newark, N.J. and New York City last week. This was a road trip I truly needed. I made a stop over in Philadelphia to grab a quick bite to eat before I continued on to Newark. I drove the Pa. Turnpike to EXIT 326 for I-76 EAST to Central Philadelphia. Thought I would get my Philly Cheesesteak, But my favorite shop was closed for the evening  :-(. Oh well, I continued on across the Walt Whitman Bridge into New Jersey then went up I-295 North for about 1 mile to Rt. 168 near Woodbury. So, I got on Rt. 168 South for 1 mile until I reached the N.J. Turnpike. Then I followed the N.J. Turnpike NORTH with it's NEW EXPRESS and LOCAL LANES starting at EXIT 6. Much smoother and wider. Very nice job. Then I reached my destination at EXIT 13A at Newark Airport and U.S. Rt. 1-9 at the Newark Airport Hilton and enjoyed my weekend. If I didn't had to stop in Philadelphia; I could have done one of two things; Taken the Pa. Turnpike EAST ALL the way into New Jersey and picked up the N.J. Turnpike (95) NORTH straight into Newark. Or just taken the Pa. Turnpike (76) EAST from Irwin only to EXIT 226 Carlisle-Harrisburg (I-81) EXIT. Then would go NORTH on Rt. 11 for 1 Mile up to I-81 NORTH. Then follow I-81 NORTH for 36 miles until I reach I-78 EAST (EXIT 89) for Allentown-Newark-New York City. I would stay EAST on 78 into New Jersey and ALL the way to Newark.

Rt. 168 is near Woodbury?  Guess you mis-read the map.

1995hoo

He also got confused by the Turnpike purportedly having an express/local system starting at Exit 6.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Zeffy

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 28, 2015, 07:20:00 AM
He also got confused by the Turnpike purportedly having an express/local system starting at Exit 6.

I would think that even the general public understands that they are specifically cars only and cars and trucks lanes during the dual-dual setup. He however, despite "being" from New Jersey, doesn't.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zeffy on July 28, 2015, 08:21:56 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 28, 2015, 07:20:00 AM

I would think that even the general public understands that they are specifically cars only and cars and trucks lanes during the dual-dual setup. He however, despite "being" from New Jersey, doesn't.

They are referred to quite often as Express & Local lanes, even though there is clearly no such designation, and the Turnpike has gone out of their way at great expense to provide both roads with right land exits to all interchanges and service plazas.  The North Jersey newspaper writers will even call them Express/Local on occasion, even though it's practically in their backyard.

(Then again, some of these newspaper writers are becoming more and more of a joke.  The paper down my way recently moved from their longtime offices to new offices a few towns away.  The writer, who has been at the paper for a few years now, mentioned all the fond memories they had at their former offices on Main Street for over 50 years...except the offices were and had always been on Broad Street.  Wasn't even a Main Street in the town. So much for fond memories!)

D-Dey65

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 02, 2015, 04:07:46 PM
I'm a street parker primarily.  I have the patience and eye for it, I guess.  Depends on the neighborhood and your comfort level with attempting it, but $50 is worth a certain amount of annoyance for me.
I'm lucky I have relatives in Queens that I can stay with, because that gives me the ability to be a street parker. I wouldn't even try it in Manhattan.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.